My turn to plug...

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Re: My turn to plug...

Postby carlsojos » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:04 am

Read The Forgotten Song.

...I'm simply at a loss for words. I don't think I can truly review this one, it just makes me think of the past. I'll just say it's a good read.
carlsojos
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Black Sword » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:59 am

*mildly thumps carlos* You should always have something to say as an editorial assistant.

Now then: Bravo! Marvelous! I love this story! Maybe it's just my combative nature, but I greatly appreciate the incisive nature of the story. You pour passion into the character-avatar, radiating the deep love he has for music, for the arts, for, dare I say it, learning? You make a striking parallel with the current degeneration currently going in the supposedly advanced First World, as they slowly fall into a state of being that is little more than apathy, with nothing more important than pursuit of selfish pleasure, with things that are worthwhile, like music, being left by the wayside. It's far too easy to see this applying to our world as well as Mota, and that loss of hope is all too real for far too many, and likely to become a stony reality for the next generations.

Emotions remain your greatest writing strength, and the first person POV suits it perfectly. In fact, I daresay you and 1st POV are as suited to each other as white on rice. This story really does sound like something a person would quietly ponder to themselves or write into the privacy of a journal, hope forgotten.

My only quibble is timeline-wise, as Mother Brain is implied to have been around for many centuries, not just a singular lifetime, but that's just a a monkey picking at nits and finding only a single one. Again, bravo!
"Where is Black Sword? I'd know his Orakio anywhere!" - BenoitRen
Black Sword
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby augmentedfourth » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:09 am

I'd been wanting to write something in the first-person for a while, so I'm glad it appears to have worked out! :) Next time I come up with a suitable idea, I'll try it again.

If you get me on my music education soapbox, I'll never get off, so I'll just say that everything in your first paragraph is entirely accurate. I will also state the obvious and say that some of my feelings stemming from being laid off from my music teaching job in June just *might* have come through here...

Re: the timeline - I did think about that for a while, hence my replacement of the word "arrival" with "dominance" in regards to Mother Brain. The way I see it, though Mother Brain was around for a very long time, it seems things were going relatively well until maybe a decade or so before the events of the game. The atmosphere of complacency did take a long time to build, after all. To me, it seems that it wasn't until she banned sea and air travel that some people (just a few) started to question things, but by then, it was too late. So while she obviously didn't come into power during the lives of anyone in the game (except Lutz, I guess), it doesn't seem wrong to think that it took a while for things to start going downhill. (Otherwise, the game would have taken place closer to her arrival.)
filthymindedandroids.blogspot.com - an incredibly Not Safe For Work blog

"A dirty book is rarely dusty." - unknown
augmentedfourth
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby augmentedfourth » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:40 pm

And back to the bad humor we go. (Sorry it took so long to get a new one up, I was consumed by another writing project that took more time and energy than expected.)

DISCLAIMER: The poetry included is supposed to be intentionally bad. I had to channel my inner angsty 16-year-old to write it and believe me, if I were to actually write a poem, that wouldn't be it. Please laugh with me and not at me.

#6 - The Allure of the Darkness

(If anything seems off with the formatting, please let me know, ff.net has been a bit buggy lately.)

augmentedfourth
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Black Sword » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:05 pm

Poor Laya! And I thought my Gwyn had sibling issues. =p

Anywho, the title was so overdone, it was fun! Especially given the actual content of the story. Perfectly emo-angsty, which is more or less the impression we have of Sean.

Loved the screen names! Also liked Princess!Kara(I think?) and Laya getting along so well, and I found the "assume I'm scattered all over the place in tiny pieces" pretty funny, though that's probably because of previous PM.

Honestly, the poem wasn't that bad, so you inner angsty 16-year-old trolled you. It's an interesting way to describe the trip down to rescue Laya from her thousand year slumber. Sure, it's a bit much in a few places, but the feeling is strong enough to turn into a genuine Art of Heroes collection on ff.net with a bit of work. *light bulb* That's actually a good idea...

Anywho, I like it, I really do! It's nice to see a different ship, since I've never really seen a Sean-Laya one. Although I have to admit the ending lines were just a tad bit too cheesy for me.
Black Sword
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby augmentedfourth » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:18 pm

The whole entire series is cheesy! :D

And boo, I wanted the poem to be really, really bad (and of course have Laya swoon anyway). It's an unwritten rule that every emo poem must contain the word "abyss". Those who were talking to me as I wrote it can confirm that I was a little giggly at the beginning, completely lost it at "oasis of love", and then it was just downhill from there. We won't talk about the moments of my life that inspired this one...

(I am so glad I am not an awkward starry-eyed teenager anymore...)

augmentedfourth
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Black Sword » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:10 am

As I understand it, all women, no matter the age, want that kind of poem written for/about them. ...so, about those moments...
Black Sword
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby augmentedfourth » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:04 pm

Warning: The story you are about to read is happy and romantic and loving and fluffy. Imagine it written in purple ink with hearts over the I's. Reading it may cause you to want to go frolic through a flowery meadow or cuddle an adorable kitten. The author is not responsible for any rainbow-colored candy-flavored side effects.

Okay, in all seriousness, I just wanted a happy ending for my favorite character. I'll go back to death and destruction and bad parody later on.

After 'Happily Ever After'

augmentedfourth
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby augmentedfourth » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:55 pm

I guess I'm too fast for my own good. Anyway, now I present a single-chapter PSIII NON-parody.

Wingspan

I don't always listen to music while reading/writing, but I remembered this piece of music while I was wrapping up the story, as it fits in pretty darn well. If you're a person who likes to listen to music while reading, I highly recommend Flight of the Griffin, by Brian Balmages.

augmentedfourth
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby augmentedfourth » Thu May 12, 2011 2:21 pm

Behold! A PSIII story that has nothing to do with love, romance, and/or marriage! *waits for everyone to pick themselves up off the floor*

In all seriousness, though, this one's kind of dark. Things are not happy for Lune, Alair, and Kara during the quests of Ayn and Sean/Crys. Rated T for some violence/intense scenes in the first chapter.

Prisoners

augmentedfourth
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby augmentedfourth » Thu May 19, 2011 4:08 am

So I'm doing the unthinkable and publishing chapters as I go this time. Ergh.

And I'm still on a PSIII kick. But this one does, in fact, have the squishy romance that is so very present throughout the game.

Awakenings

augmentedfourth
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby augmentedfourth » Mon May 30, 2011 3:25 am

Chapter Two of 'Awakenings' is up! Frigidia is frigid, you know.

augmentedfourth
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby carlsojos » Mon May 30, 2011 12:40 pm

Chapter one, Awakening
Just read. It falls outside of my normal flavor, so my review isn't gonna be terribly detailed. No errors spotted. Overall, it was an interesting read, and the suggestion is that Laya and Nial seem to get along quite well. My only thought is that I wonder how much of the travelling montage was needed. It's well done, but you know how engineers are supposed to aim for efficiency...

In a nutshell, enjoyed it.

UPDATE: Chapter 2 read.
Now, things are starting to pick up, and you're definitely letting the bond form between Laya and Nial. No errors to report again. It's good how you worked in how short days sometimes are in arctic climates. I think I shall be watching for more installments.
carlsojos
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby augmentedfourth » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:17 pm

It has been FAR too long since I updated the PSIII parodies! Warning: the jokes are especially groan-worthy this time around (but weren't they always?).

#7 - The Absence of Definition

#8 - The Thrill of Discovery

augmentedfourth
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby augmentedfourth » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:38 pm

OMG!DRAMA! I really should be writing teenage soap operas! And if it weren't for the fact that teenaged girls tend to go on and on and on and on and on about things, I bet this story would only be half as long.

#9 - The Myth of Closure

augmentedfourth
Blastoid
Blastoid

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff