12th April update:
- Who is online: I have added the who is online feature, however please note that it will only display you as online if you are active in the chat itself. Meaning that if you are logged in and viewing the chat without posting, then you will not be displayed as online. This can obviously have a negative effect as users might be waiting for others to come online while the others are thinking the same. What is the solution? Post whats on your mind every time you visit the board!
- Notification of new threads: There will be a notification in the shoutbox when a new thread is posted.
- Increased height: Ive increased the height from 190px to 260px.
- Flood time: I have decreased the flood time (seconds between each post) from 20sec to 10sec as requested.
- Message displayed on index: Changed from 10 to 12 messages. Let me know if it should be increased further.
- Date format: Added the "less than x minutes" date format.
- Who is online refresh: The list refreshes every 30secs.
- Word censorship: You cannot currently use the F-word. It came with the script. As for other filtering, just keep it clean and use them only when you need to express yourself, not to insult anyone or trolling.
- Max message length: 500 characters.
- Archive: 30 posts per page.
- Custom page height: The stand alone chat space is set to 500px. You can access it by clicking on the Shoutbox link at the top.
- Access: Guests can view the shoutbox and the archives but cannot post. If you feel that the archive should be restricted to members only, then please let me know. The shoutbox is hidden from search engines.
14th April update:
- Themes: All the forum themes are functional with the shoutbox now. Let me know if anything doesnt work.
16th May update:
- Flood limit: The 10 second posting limit has been decreased to 3 seconds.
I'm hoping to continue improving the shoutbox. I have this idea to use a "Topic of the day" where it says "Announcement"... and maybe have you all submitting your topics. Its just an idea, carlsojos said that the topic of the discussion will grow organically anyway. But please do give feedback and let me know how it works out.
My hopes are that it will at least be used as a shoutbox where random messages are posted... if that turns out to be more of a chat, then thats great too!