The Shoutbox / Chat

Questions, suggestions and comments regarding Phantasy Star Cave goes here

Re: The Shoutbox / Chat

Postby Zucca » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:28 pm

BenoitRen wrote:
Missagh wrote:Do you mean that it makes a shout when new topics are created?

He asked for posts, not topics.
Correct.
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Missagh » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:49 pm

BenoitRen wrote:
Missagh wrote:Will probably add jQuery with the new design of the site regardless.

Not if it's up to me!
A few kilobytes won't kill anyone if it benefits the design :)

About notifications for posts, I can look into it, but it might be distracting if the board gets busy.
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby BenoitRen » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:48 pm

jQuery isn't a benefit. It's a compatibility layer for programmers that are lousy at DOM manipulation and want to add effects that'll slow down the entire site like falling snow.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Zucca » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:49 pm

Missagh wrote:
BenoitRen wrote:
Missagh wrote:Will probably add jQuery with the new design of the site regardless.

Not if it's up to me!
A few kilobytes won't kill anyone if it benefits the design

About notifications for posts, I can look into it, but it might be distracting if the board gets busy.
Of course one would need to apply the option from settings.
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Missagh » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:55 pm

BenoitRen wrote:jQuery isn't a benefit. It's a compatibility layer for programmers that are lousy at DOM manipulation and want to add effects that'll slow down the entire site like falling snow.
jQuery can be very useful for design. Remember that the site needs to be attractive to users that did not exist when HTML was created. We know that the creative web designing is not your highest priority Benoit Currently, it is very out of date and needs a web 2.0 push to it. The falling snow effect existed before jQuery was created... jQuery cleaned it up and made it more smooth, which is a good thing. Not saying that we will add it, just proposing a positive view on the subject.

Edit:
Zucca wrote:Of course one would need to apply the option from settings.
Because all shouts are in the same database table, there is no way to hide a shout (post notification) from users depending on their settings. It would require some heavy modification to pull that off I'm afraid.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby Zucca » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:18 pm

Missagh wrote:
Zucca wrote:Of course one would need to apply the option from settings.
Because all shouts are in the same database table, there is no way to hide a shout (post notification) from users depending on their settings. It would require some heavy modification to pull that off I'm afraid.
Are you sure? Since controlling displaying of new topics in shout box is already implemented in settings. :o
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby BenoitRen » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:34 pm

Missagh wrote:jQuery can be very useful for design. Remember that the site needs to be attractive to users that did not exist when HTML was created.

jQuery is not a design tool. It's a scripting tool. And I'm saying it's a bad one.
Currently, it is very out of date and needs a web 2.0 push to it.

Making it "Web 2.0" like a lot of other sites is a great way to scare away loyal visitors. It involves forgetting the K.I.S.S. principle.
The falling snow effect existed before jQuery was created... jQuery cleaned it up and made it more smooth, which is a good thing.

jQuery is anything but clean from a code point of view. It encourages bad scripting.
BenoitRen

Postby Zucca » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:02 pm

BenoitRen wrote:jQuery is not a design tool. It's a scripting tool.
No. It's both.
BenoitRen wrote:
Missagh wrote:Currently, it is very out of date and needs a web 2.0 push to it.

Making it "Web 2.0" like a lot of other sites is a great way to scare away loyal visitors. It involves forgetting the K.I.S.S. principle.
Web 2.0 is almost always a bad idea. But scaring away loyal visitors... I don't think so. Unless of course it get really bad. One can easily create content using jquery as helper without sticking fingers into "web 2.0".
BenoitRen wrote:
Missagh wrote:The falling snow effect existed before jQuery was created... jQuery cleaned it up and made it more smooth, which is a good thing.

jQuery is anything but clean from a code point of view. It encourages bad scripting.

Basically jquery gives you functions you'd create by yourself anyway + more.

Ben, so if you discourage people to use jQuery, then what would be better javascript framework? Prototype, perhaps?
At current state of javascript support on different browsers if really pita to NOT to use any js framework. Even if you leave IE out (as I liked to do: no js actions for IE at all) ...
If no js framework, then no js at all.
Most browser friendly is to make every script server-side. This results more full page (re)loads which isn't such a problem on a small/medium sized site like this.
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby BenoitRen » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:49 pm

No JavaScript framework. Make your own JavaScript. If you need a framework to help you, chances are high that you're trying to do too much with it or don't know what you're doing.
BenoitRen

Postby Missagh » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:41 am

Elaborate please.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby BenoitRen » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:15 pm

Web 2.0 websites have very busy pages with social network buttons on each of them, complete with tons of JavaScript that slows down the browsing experience.
BenoitRen

Postby Missagh » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:14 pm

The shoutbox rules have been updated. Please read...

There might be further additions, or more detailed set of rules coming soon.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby Edge » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:26 pm

If you guys make a channel, can it be on sorcery.net? I'm kind of an old legend there... My rep sucks actually, BUT EVERYONE KNOWS ME MAAAAAAN!!!! Also, sorcery has a nice app that easily lets people join your channel from any site with a java code you juss c/p... It's quite nice really. btw, why didn't anyone list "getting hacked" as a con to IRC??? I personally can rip your system apart from there IF you don't know what to dodge and look for... IRC is a dangerous place, once this chic was all talking to me, I was sociable, ya'll know me, I'm not an online flirt, but... She was comin on a li'l strong, figured, well hell, I'll check out a pic anyway... MAN THAT DUDE HAD A BIG ASS DICK, fuck that, IRC is the devil...
I've traveled back in time... 300 years... Just to call you a "Cracker"!
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Previous

Return to Site related