Phantasy Star Generation:1 English translation project

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Phantasy Star Generation:1 English translation project

Postby Kyence » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:31 am

Hello, all! It's been a while since my initial post, but I wanted to show some screenshots of the English translation I'm working on. The biggest challenge has been the compression; a big thanks to Orakio_rob and RodolfoRG for the e-mails and decompression program (they are working on a Portugeuse translation). Over the weekend, I figured out the event pointer algorithm and how to tweak the compression flags to allow me to insert English without breaking the game. There's still more to be done, but here's some proof that I haven't given up!
1.JPG
1.JPG (46.37 KiB) Viewed 68968 times
Attachments
3.JPG
3.JPG (32.61 KiB) Viewed 68968 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (35.24 KiB) Viewed 68968 times
Kyence
Blastoid
Blastoid

Re: Phantasy Star Generation:1 English translation project

Postby Kyence » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:33 am

The last three images:
Attachments
6.JPG
6.JPG (43.81 KiB) Viewed 68967 times
5.JPG
5.JPG (41.94 KiB) Viewed 68967 times
4.JPG
4.JPG (56.02 KiB) Viewed 68967 times
Kyence
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Zucca » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:39 am

Wow. This is great! Are you working alone on this english version?

Kyence wrote: The biggest challenge has been the compression; a big thanks to Orakio_rob and RodolfoRG for the e-mails and decompression program (they are working on a Portugeuse translation). Over the weekend, I figured out the event pointer algorithm and how to tweak the compression flags to allow me to insert English without breaking the game.
What type of compression method it uses? Regular deflate? LZO?
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Kyence » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:41 pm

Thanks! I think it uses a form of LZ compression. Without the program from Orazio_rob's team, I don't think I would have gotten this far. Yes, I am the only one working on the English version.
Kyence
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Missagh » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:10 pm

This is great work Kyence!

If anyone is interested in assisting on an English translation, orakio_rob has been offering his findings while translating it to Portugeuse. It would be great to have a team of English translators if you would approve of that Kyence?

I'm thinking this rather than new translators starting from scratch.
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby Zucca » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:46 pm

I think it's then LZO. AS it's quite modern compression method that uses very little memory and is blazing fast. Many compressed filesystems use LZO of deflate.
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby spookeydonkey » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:23 am

hey do you know if this is the same compression method used for PS Gen 2? I'd love to know if it works!
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Zucca » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:54 am

Try to uncompress the file(s) with LZO.
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Missagh » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:52 am

spookeydonkey wrote:hey do you know if this is the same compression method used for PS Gen 2? I'd love to know if it works!

Yes Orakio Rob confirmed that it is.
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby Kyence » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:57 pm

Ideally, if I can make it through PS1, I'd like to work on 2. It was always my favorite of the series.
I may need some help with translating the Japanese text but I'm okay with the encoding. I will need
help with the menu graphics and the monster name pointers. Those are static images or a separate.
katakana font. If anybody would like to help it would be great! If not, I'll still keep going at it.
Thanks for all the positive words, everyone!
Kyence
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Black Sword » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:27 pm

You will be a legendary hero once you finish translating this! What kind of help do you need for the static images?
"Where is Black Sword? I'd know his Orakio anywhere!" - BenoitRen
Black Sword
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Zucca » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:15 pm

Black Sword wrote:You will be a legendary hero once you finish translating this!
x2
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby spookeydonkey » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:01 am

it's been a few years since I lived in Tokyo, but I can maybe help with translation, as long as it's not too much. Of course, at this point I'm just going to assume that your Japanese level is much higher than mine, so I'm wondering what kind of help translating you'll want (technical or just because of sheer amount of text needing translation) ?
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby LegoMuskCat » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:04 pm

The only thing that bugs me at all is that it's all caps. :D Other than that, your translation efforts are terrific!
LegoMuskCat
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Kyence » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:30 am

Thanks, everyone!

Spookeydonkey, there is quite a bit of text to translate. I would definitely love some help with it!

Black Sword, the images are also compressed;I can decompress them,but since they are stored collectively in a.DAT file,I can't seem to visualize them separately.I did some trial and error with the pointers, but I can't find the menu and battle icons with Japanese letters on them; I have also had no luck attempting to splice the hex code into a plain black bitmap to at least see the image. Ideally I would like to edit these with English and reinsert them uncompressed at this point. This will likely be done after the text translation is completed.

Dreamer, thanks! The reasons I chose all caps were both aesthetic and alphabet issues. I had originally tried using the lowercase letters,but since they used a fixed amount of space for both upper- and lower-case letters, the lower-case letters look very spread apart and it was distracting to me. I also realized that in the English font the programmers included in the game had omitted some small letters:j, q, w, x. Most of them I could live without, but not even being about to write "swd" made me decide to do the all caps route. I had not intended to make a new font table when I first started out,until I realized that the monster names have a separate font that only has four letters (ABCD),so that will be needed anyway for them...

Would it be worth delaying the text encoding for a few months until I develop a main font with wider lowercase letters? Since lower-case letters have a separate hex code,it would be prudent to wait if lowercase was decided upon. Since this is a translation meant for all of us,I'd like to know what you guys think.

Thanks again!
Kyence
Blastoid
Blastoid

Next

Return to Fan stuff