Fan Fiction

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Fan Fiction

Postby Oswego del Fuego » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:11 pm

Are people still writing a lot of Phantasy Star fan fiction?

I wrote a few stories for the Phantasy Star Pages back around 2004-2005. This weekend I found an old disk that contained a few mostly-completed stories. I think they're good stories that deserve to be finished. I was a disappointed to see that the Phantasy Star Pages are no longer updating, but then I found this site. Just trying to determine if there would be an interest.

Also, I remember that I really liked stories by Darrell Whitney, Joel Fagin, and Rune Lai. Do those folks ever show up here?

Thanks.
Oswego del Fuego
Pinchant
Pinchant

Re: Fan Fiction

Postby carlsojos » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:13 pm

Yep! There's actually been 2 stories plugged here since last night, even, so we're quite alive here.

Gimme a minute and I'll compile a list of plug threads here.
carlsojos
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby carlsojos » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:18 pm

Augmentedfourth: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2917
Black Sword: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2902
Wing Eye's Comic: http://www.drunkduck.com/Phantasy_Star_Replay
Me: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2932
and Tilinelson2: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2995

There are more out there, but somehow I can see suggesting another rival site might give me a few funny looks. :P
carlsojos
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:02 pm

Yes, people are still writing fan fiction! Have you checked out the the site's Fan Fiction section yet?

If you want to submit any stories, they're most welcome (even older ones hosted on other sites)!

Full disclosure: submitted stories go through "Benoit's Typo Corner" first. You'll receive a report with grammatical errors and typos, if any were found. You're free to disagree with corrections (I sometimes flag something as an error when it's not).

Darrell Whitney registered years ago, but I scared him away in his introduction thread, which I still owe him an apology for. He hangs out on fanfiction.net still.

Joel Fagin used to visit sometimes years ago, but he has since retired from the fandom.

Rune Lai has been very busy with real life, but I read on her LiveJournal that she finished Restoration in 2008. I've e-mailed her about it a year ago, and she said that she still had to do copy edits on it. I e-mailed her again a couple months ago and yet again a few weeks ago, but I haven't gotten a response.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Oswego del Fuego » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:11 am

Hey, that is awesome. Thank you to all for replying. I'm sad that I didn't finish these stories back then, but now they can have a second life.

BenoitRen, you'd be my hero if you got Darrell Whitney to start writing Phantasy Star fan fiction again. I regret not telling him how much I liked his stories.
Oswego del Fuego
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby Missagh » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:48 am

Hi Oswego del Fuego and welcome to the community. Glad to see another PSDB regular. Please feel free to submit your fanfiction to Benoit so we all can read them!
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby Oswego del Fuego » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:20 am

Thank you, Missagh. I am happy to be here.

Regarding fan fiction submission. Do I need to put in paragraph break HTML tags before I send a piece in, or do you guys do that? Some of the stories are quite long so there are a lot of tags to insert.
Oswego del Fuego
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby carlsojos » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:34 am

Benoit apparently prefers PDFs, actually, but tags are optional for submissions- I do my own tags to show how I want things to show, but Benoit swaps out a lot of my tags since I still code like CSS doesn't exist.
carlsojos
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:00 am

That reminds me that I should put up some submission guidelines. >_>
  • If your story is already available on the web somewhere, you can just link it.
  • If your story is in a word processor document, export it to a PDF file or HTML web page and send the resulting file as an attachment.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Bad Hair Man » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:52 am

BenoitRen wrote:If you want to submit any stories, they're most welcome (even older ones hosted on other sites)!

Full disclosure: submitted stories go through "Benoit's Typo Corner" first. You'll receive a report with grammatical errors and typos, if any were found. You're free to disagree with corrections (I sometimes flag something as an error when it's not).

Missagh wrote:Hi Oswego del Fuego and welcome to the community. Glad to see another PSDB regular. Please feel free to submit your fanfiction to Benoit so we all can read them!

BenoitRen wrote:That reminds me that I should put up some submission guidelines. >_>
  • If your story is already available on the web somewhere, you can just link it.
  • If your story is in a word processor document, export it to a PDF file or HTML web page and send the resulting file as an attachment.

Ah, submission instructions. The only thing that's missing is:

You say to submit text -- in the form of pdf or html files -- to Benoit, but a forum PM does not appear to be able to have attachments, and the only contact information I've found on the site as a whole is this page, which appears to only give an email address for Missagh, though it does invite one to "Please submit your fan art, game, comic, music or anything that you want to contribute to the community" to that address. Have I missed something, or is this correct?
Bad Hair Man
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby carlsojos » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:35 pm

You can submit raw html over PM, but for the most part it's simpler to send it straight to Benoit. He doesn't have it listed on the site (I assume he's trying to avoid spam), but he or I can give it to you over PM.
carlsojos
Scorpius
Scorpius

Return to Fan stuff