Phantasy Star Generation:1 English translation project

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Re: Phantasy Star Generation:1 English translation project

Postby theAlien » Wed May 02, 2012 3:16 pm

Tryphon wrote:EDIT : I managed to draw characters. They are in MAPDATA.DAT @ 1E000 (for PSG2) (at least, one of the sheet, I don't see katakanas and hiraganas inside, nor latin characters). Something bothers me tough : they look like each character is brightly drawn onto a darker one. Here's the sheet (garbage at the beginning must be some auxiliary data, I'll investigate). Did those among you who actually played PSG2 (it's not my case) see those "surimpressed characters" ?

res-MAPDATA-1E000.png

What image viewer did you use to view the characters in? The characters are drawn in segments as explained before, with specific codes in order which produce a shadow, a line, a line which may brighten the previous line, and then another type of shadow. At least, when playing around with the bits in each line, that's what it appeared to be doing. I couldn't tell you what each bit means or how the game interprets that because I never got around to locating the character drawing routine itself. But because of the strange way the characters are drawn, I didn't think there was a viewer that could properly view the data?
theAlien
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby Tryphon » Wed May 02, 2012 4:46 pm

If the sheet I showed is the one you worked on, then its format is the same of most - if not all - images in the game :

0x10 - 0x410 are the values of the palette (all set to full White 0xFFFFFF for this particular sheet) and from 0x410, it's the image data (one byte per pixel, referring to the palette). I just coded a python script, ignoring the palette data.

But I don't believe all the letters are present...
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby theAlien » Wed May 02, 2012 6:16 pm

Tryphon wrote:If the sheet I showed is the one you worked on, then its format is the same of most - if not all - images in the game :

0x10 - 0x410 are the values of the palette (all set to full White 0xFFFFFF for this particular sheet) and from 0x410, it's the image data (one byte per pixel, referring to the palette). I just coded a python script, ignoring the palette data.

But I don't believe all the letters are present...

Scratch that, I figured out my problem. No, all the characters are present. They are drawn on top of one another somehow. I can see them in crystal tile at 1024x1024, GBA3 xpp, scale to 125, offset 410. Here you can see that the dark black characters: punctuation, English letters, hiragana/katakana are all present, drawn over top of the kanji which appear lighter.

You'll want to change the palette options to something like Combo, and then the next to last row, try the far end choice of dark-gray to black. Should give you something like this:

So I wonder how the game actually decides what to do with those bits it reads in for each character. When I was messing around with the font, I deleted all data except for 7 or 8 rows of the data in those 20-byte chunks with 1ECh in-between each. so I ended up with something like. DATA---empty-empty-empty-DATA-empty-empty-empty-DATA-empty-empty-empty-DATA. Etc. The result was actually the question-mark character that I was toying with. The on-screen result of course was that all characters were gone except for the question-mark character. Deleting first DATA resulted in the loss of the first row of the character. Deleting the 2nd DATA resulted in the loss of the 2nd row of the character, and so on. So the key to this mystery is probably some specific bits that are set? All I could figure out was that the pixels drawn were drawn four at a time, skip a line, four more. Like this:

[x][x][x][x] <--- 1st time
{ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] <--- 2nd time, draw here
[x][x][x][x] <--- 1st time
[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] <---- 2nd time

If that makes any sense at all. I honestly need to take another look at it, if I can just manage to quit having things to do.
theAlien
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby Kyence » Thu May 03, 2012 2:03 am

Just out of curiosity, when using the decompression program,do you have it saved as a .DAT file for the output? For the longest time, I have been doing it as a .DAT, then inserting them into a PBM template to edit them in Photoshop. Unfortunately, they come out very tiny and with three channels,making it a b**** to edit (which I've managed to do out of sheer stubborness). If there was a way to see them bigger and edit them,I would be very happy :)
Kyence
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby theAlien » Thu May 03, 2012 3:39 am

Usually I just save the output as the address + .001 for one-level compression, and .002 for two. So if there is nested compression in the first output, the next addresses are labeled as .002. As for a PBM template, I'm not familiar at all with PBM.... What does converting it from the format its in to PBM do? Can you convert it back? As of right now, I could edit the characters in Crystal Tile but I'm not certain about the brightness levels and the shadows, which CT seems to be missing. Or, I can build characters the slow way in a hex editor but the way they're "built" is so freaking weird to me.

I'm not sure about my earlier assessment that each character is 20 bytes long, I think I just made one 21 bytes long and it still shows up on the screen. But it's not consistent I guess, because I was working again with the question mark character (the 7th character), and it appears that there is not enough space in the beginning for six more, 21 byte characters. They must just be different widths? Meh. I'm probably just going to break down and hack-in the missing English characters tomorrow. Is PSG1 missing them as well?
theAlien
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby Kyence » Thu May 03, 2012 4:12 am

The pbm format allows me to paste the data in directly. I can edit it and reinsert it into the game decompressed.
However, I have to adjust the pointers for everything downstream. The pointers are at the beginning
Of the map fule. The first value is the hex value that shows the number of images, as well as an eof
Pointer. to find the address, multiply the pointer by 800h. Likewise, when you move an image, simply
Divide the hex address value by 800h. In my experimenting the pointer values must always
Be in address order. I have tried swapping the pointer values around and it just breaks the game.

As for the edited file, I change the compress value to 050404 (its little endian). The cm header must still
Be there for the game to access the image data.

This was how I made all the menu and monster name changes.

PS1 is missing an apostrophe, the lowercase letter j,q,w,x (i have gotten away with the x using the x buttom code)

Good luck with the Ps2 fonts!
Kyence
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby xrick » Thu May 03, 2012 7:48 am

Can any of you please tell me how you decompress the game?
Or is it only the game's text you guys decompress? I wanted to try to get to the images myself...
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Thu May 03, 2012 10:18 am

Kyence wrote:If there was a way to see them bigger and edit them,I would be very happy

I don't understand. Can't you just zoom in on the image?
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Kyence » Thu May 03, 2012 10:59 am

Yeah, I do.1600% zoom. The process I use is effective, but inefficient, since I see the image in triplicate.
If I want to edit letters, I have to manually draw them, and I end up with a tiny matrix to work with.

I get a width of 512 pixels total. Divide that by three. Add in the fact that the letters form is divided
between the three versions of the image...and one pixel off in color can lead to an unreadable letter.

If others are getting larger pictures with the great resolution,I'd like to know how.

I'm not as derpy as not knowing how to zoom :lol:
Kyence
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Tryphon » Thu May 03, 2012 4:32 pm

There are in fact 4 characters sheets "interlaced" : 2 bits for each character (bit 7 & 6, bit 5 & 4, bit 3 & 2, bit 1 & 0). One of the sheet is plain black.

As soon as I have time, I will properly dissassemble it (edit : done ; I'll post them later), but for now :

bit 1 :

plane1.png
plane1.png (31.03 KiB) Viewed 18870 times

bit 3 :

plane3.png
plane3.png (36.13 KiB) Viewed 18870 times

bit 5 :

plane5.png
plane5.png (20.2 KiB) Viewed 18870 times

bit 7 is plain black
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Thu May 03, 2012 6:13 pm

The 3 sheets in 4 colors (2bits per pixel) :

bit 0 & 1 :

plane0.png
plane0.png (61.06 KiB) Viewed 18868 times

bits 2 & 3 :

plane1.png
plane1.png (75.07 KiB) Viewed 18868 times

bits 4 & 5 :

plane2.png
plane2.png (39.47 KiB) Viewed 18868 times
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xrick » Thu May 03, 2012 6:17 pm

About the missing letters, is there no letter never used in the whole game that could be replaced with the missing one?
Or isn't it possible to include such missing letters in the spaces remaining in the last pics of each section?
I'm not sure, I'm not aknowledged with this field...
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Thu May 03, 2012 9:36 pm

Now that I understand how letters are stored, what exactly has to be done with them ?
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Kyence » Thu May 03, 2012 9:55 pm

In my case, ive been translating and avoiding words and phrases with those letters which can be annoying. I don' t use any of the hiragana . If you put a letter in its place, I can easily change the code key to an english one in the slpm.

I only need the first layer that has the alphabet on it. It would be simpler to work editing.The format header of sggg and such needs to be
Preserved after editing so it can be placed back into the iso. With the one set of characters the decompressed fike
Will be easy to insert without needing to make additional room for it.
If you have the raw data for that layer and the black, I can easily check out the code header. Or, you can paste the header or hex screenshot here.

You both have been doing an awesome job with this!
Kyence
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby xrick » Thu May 03, 2012 10:00 pm

Kyence wrote:In my case, ive been translating and avoiding words and phrases with those letters which can be annoying. I don' t use any of the hiragana . If you put a letter in its place, I can easily change the code key to an english one in the slpm.

I only need the first layer that has the alphabet on it. It would be simpler to work editing.The format header of sggg and such needs to be
Preserved after editing so it can be placed back into the iso. With the one set of characters the decompressed fike
Will be easy to insert without needing to make additional room for it.
If you have the raw data for that layer and the black, I can easily check out the code header. Or, you can paste the header or hex screenshot here.

You both have been doing an awesome job with this!

So it's really possible to place missing letters in place of others, that's great!
You guys are really making big progresses, good luck!
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff