Generation sprites?

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Re: Generation sprites?

Postby xrick » Fri May 04, 2012 6:40 pm

Also, what a surprise, discovering that a cutscene had an early version...

This is the one we see in-game, in the opening:
05a.png
05a.png (266.64 KiB) Viewed 17605 times

This one must have been an early version of it:
05b.png
05b.png (228.88 KiB) Viewed 17605 times

Like I said, small treasures that both games had...
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xrick » Sat May 05, 2012 8:34 am

Tryphon, I checked PSCave about PSG:2 and found out there's a variant of the Army Eyes, likely colored like the one from the sprites you posted here...
Are you sure that sprite was from Army Eye? Isn't there any other?
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Rulakir » Sat May 05, 2012 8:35 am

Awesome stuff here! Exactly what I was looking for when I started this thread, beats ripping the stuff 'manually'

Just waiting for the PSG2 sprites now, then I can implement them in my game.
Rulakir
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Tryphon » Sat May 05, 2012 9:01 am

xrick wrote:Tryphon, I checked PSCave about PSG:2 and found out there's a variant of the Army Eyes, likely colored like the one from the sprites you posted here...
Are you sure that sprite was from Army Eye[?

No, I'm not.

Isn't there any other?

Yes, there are. I'd willingly post the entire DAT file, but I'd like first get the permission from OrakioRob. I used their tool, they want to release the result, and I'm not feeling good about posting them before, even if it's just a zip file from me, whereas they will make something cleaner on gazetadealgol.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xrick » Sat May 05, 2012 9:04 am

Tryphon wrote:
xrick wrote:Tryphon, I checked PSCave about PSG:2 and found out there's a variant of the Army Eyes, likely colored like the one from the sprites you posted here...
Are you sure that sprite was from Army Eye?

No, I'm not.

Isn't there any other?

Yes, there are. I'd willingly post the entire DAT file, but I'd like first get the permission from OrakioRob. I used their tool, they want to release the result, and I'm not feeling good about posting them before, even if it's just a zip file from me, whereas they will make something cleaner on gazetadealgol.

Oh goodness! I didn't know about that! OK, I'll wait, sorry for the trouble...
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xrick » Thu May 10, 2012 2:40 pm

Here am I again with a couple pics to post here to whoever may be interested in seeing...
This time I tried my best to assemble Mad Doctor, again using screenshots as a basis for the assembly...

I have two, check them out:
Mad Doctor.png
Mad Doctor.png (22.05 KiB) Viewed 17564 times

Mad Doctor.png
Mad Doctor.png (12.19 KiB) Viewed 17564 times

So, what do you say of them?
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby orakio_rob » Fri May 11, 2012 10:42 am

Ta-da!

http://gazetadealgol.com.br/blog/?p=2006

As with PSG:1, we still don't have tools to extract the content from the SLPM file, so there may be more images hidden in it. As soon as we manage to extract content from this file, I'll update both sprite sections.

There are some weird thing in this image pack... some PSII sprites can be found in the ISO, such as:

Some PSII images even have captions indicating a screenshot was taken, as seen in most emulators:

Hope you like it!
Download the Compendium at my Phantasy Star website: http://www.gazetadealgol.com.br/downloads/
orakio_rob
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Tryphon » Fri May 11, 2012 11:12 am

It seems you don't have party walking sprites, I have not found them too. I can capture them in another way though.

Is someone able to tell what is missing, except those sprites ?

Look at this sheet too :

I believe it is not Nei or Nefirst walking sprite. Has someone seen it in the game ?

There are lots of redundancies in those sheet, and some gfx from PSG1 too. It lets think that the game was maybe developped in a hurry...

At Orakio : what make you think the missing sprites are located in the SLPM ? What kind of datas have you discovered in this file ?

Are you sure some missing things aren't left in the DAT ?

I noticed some decompressed DAT files were a little bigger than the image thay contained. I tried to figure out what were the extra-datas but didn't find anything interesting up to now (but then again, I only gave a quick eye on it, I'm focused on recomosing the maps for the time being. I think I successfully recomposed Paseo and Arima(ya) maps, if someone is interested).

Oh, and one last thing (for helping Kyence) : would it be possible you reveal how to change the space width between letters ? I managed to change the font with almost anything, but the characters are always spaced and a little too big. If we change once everything translated, I suppose we'll have to check all word wrappings since the beginning, and it'll be quite... annoying (o say the least )
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xrick » Fri May 11, 2012 11:50 am

I don't think the SLPM files may have anything worthy of ripping, since they are just more than 1,50MB each.
Also, the extra space in the DAT files other than the images may be of code files inside it, just speculating...

I mentioned your ripping stuff I asked to Orakio and he said "No problem, the tools are to whoever wants to use them anyway they want" so there was no problem with you ripping sprites and event stills to me prior to them putting it all on Gazeta (HURRAY!!! Finally all the ripped stuff is out to all of us to admire!!!)

About the game being done in a hurry, I remember reading somewhere that AGES went down during PSG:2's production, having the finalization of it being handled by SEGA themselves... Maybe that's the "Why" of existing so many stray sprites from PSG:1, most likely PSG:2's ISO was to have around the same size as PSG:1.

Also, now I have THE Army Eye, check it out!
Army Eye.png
Army Eye.png (24.03 KiB) Viewed 17555 times
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Fri May 11, 2012 12:32 pm

All the sheets are around 256 KB, so 1,5 MB files can contain lots of stuff, especially if we're looking for little sprites.

I don't think there should be code inside an image file. It's not logical. I think it's either garbage, or additionnal info (for palette cycling, or maybe maps, for example).

Sorry for not having given all the sheets, I was unsure I could.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby orakio_rob » Fri May 11, 2012 1:20 pm

Tryphon wrote:what make you think the missing sprites are located in the SLPM ? What kind of datas have you discovered in this file ?

I don't really have any clue about it. It's just that we weren't able to extract anything from this file up to now (we need a different tool), we are editing it in a hex editor in order to translate the text it contais. So it is a good place to look for images. But it may be empty too, I just don't know. And yes, there may be something missing from the DATs. Our tools show a few errors when extracting/decompressing stuff. Our romhackers are working on it, I'll let you all know as soon as I get an updated version. It's a pitty they are such busy people, it would be great if they could join this discussion here on PS Cave.

Tryphon wrote:Oh, and one last thing (for helping Kyence) : would it be possible you reveal how to change the space width between letters ?

This is actually pretty simple. All you have to do is change a byte in the SLPM file. Go to the offset 00015214 and you'll see the value 0E. Change this value and you'll change the spacing! I'm currently using 14.
Last edited by orakio_rob on Fri May 11, 2012 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Download the Compendium at my Phantasy Star website: http://www.gazetadealgol.com.br/downloads/
orakio_rob
Locusta
Locusta

Postby orakio_rob » Fri May 11, 2012 1:32 pm

xrick wrote:I mentioned your ripping stuff I asked to Orakio and he said "No problem, the tools are to whoever wants to use them anyway they want" so there was no problem with you ripping sprites and event stills to me prior to them putting it all on Gazeta (HURRAY!!! Finally all the ripped stuff is out to all of us to admire!!!)

Just to make it very clear: on our side, we are all very, very big PS lovers. I know some people are very protective of their romhacking work, and we understand it, but we are different to this regard. We're doing this because we really love Phantasy Star, and so we want as much content as possible to be extracted, changed, updated and so forth. We are fans, so we're all on the same boat ^_^

Feel free to use as much of our work as you all want. I haven't released some tools yet just because they are still being developed, but they'll be available when they are ready. If you have any doubts, feel free to ask. I may not be of much help as I'm no real romhacker (I'm only a translator, and I can write a few shell-scripts to help me with the translation), but I'll help as much as I can.

The same goes for all those Japanese books we've bought and scanned:
http://www.gazetadealgol.com.br/diversos/livros/start

Of course, this is all Sega material and we are not really entitled to use it but at least on my side, I don't mind if anybody uses this stuff on their websites (in fact, I love to see this on other websites, as more PS fans will have access to it). All I ask is that there is a link pointing to Gazeta de Algol.
orakio_rob
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Tryphon » Fri May 11, 2012 6:26 pm

orakio_rob wrote:Just to make it very clear: on our side, we are all very, very big PS lovers. I know some people are very protective of their romhacking work, and we understand it, but we are different to this regard. We're doing this because we really love Phantasy Star, and so we want as much content as possible to be extracted, changed, updated and so forth. We are fans, so we're all on the same boat ^_^

I love reading that :) I confess I had (and still have) a massive use of your descompressador and it helped me a lot. I'll be forever grateful to you. You can consider me as a foreign fellow, I totally agree with all you said and I'm glad to see this spirit on the net (it is not so often in the game hacking community from the little I know).

Thanks for the tip about the spacing. Did you find some other values in the SLPM file ?

Is text in the SLPM coded the same way as in the DAT files ? Is this text special or is it classic ingame test ?

I'm trying to figure what kind of data is stored on it, why it has different extension.

I've posted on this topic some pages ago sprites from PSG2. I got them via texmod. Others sheet I got this way are totally similar to those you got. So I think those sprites must be coded exactly this way somewhere in the files.

Two things though :
- the sheet I posted was made assembling several sheets
- I believe I saved the sheets as 32bits, whereas graphics in the game are stored with format 8bits + palette. I'll try to recover the palette data, so we'll have large chunk of datas to look for, and so bigger chances to find them.

This being said, if the descompressador fails on some parts of the DAT, it could explain everything. I'll try to have a look on it, but I must first read the portuguese commented source, and I may have troubles understanding. Would you mind if I sometimes ask for a translation (I saw xrick is portuguese, maybe you can help too?) ? It may not be necessary that said...

Something that would be intersting to compute is the ratio of the compressed data the descompressador achieves to treat over the total size of the DAT file.

I wish I have so much more free time :) Give me another life please :)

[I'd like to know why all smileys I write in a thread vanishes after I preview it...]
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xrick » Fri May 11, 2012 7:14 pm

You're totally right, I'm really loving this feeling of unity between the brazilian and english translation teams, I wouldn't be feeling so confortable around here if it weren't that way

Also, Tryphon, what do you need my help with? I'll gladly help you, if it's within my capabilities...

Also, Tryphon, are the PSG:2 sprites you posted here different in quality or anything else from Orakio's?
I hope I don't have to go assembling Dark Falz & Mother Brain all over again... Even the Event Stills!!!
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Fri May 11, 2012 9:12 pm

I may need you for translating some comments or variable names from the descompressador tool of the brazilian team in order to figure out how it works and if it can miss something.

It seems that the images of Orakio are encoded in 256 colors (8 bits) with palette indexed, whereas mine are 32bits (True Color). But they are visually exactly the same.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff