Generation sprites?

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Re: Generation sprites?

Postby xrick » Fri May 11, 2012 9:26 pm

Well, as long as the images are identical... But I'll check later.

EDIT:
The only difference is the size, yours is above 200kb while Orakio's is under 100kb...
Thanks for having helped me before but I'll get all of Orakio's PSG:2 Event Stills...

Then post here what you want translated and I'll try my best to help, ok?

Also, I wonder why all classic game sprites are so small when the games were to be played on big TVs...
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Sat May 12, 2012 1:04 pm

Normal for the size (32b > 8b) but whether you make your stuff with "mine" or "his", you'll end with images of the same size (that's the way the final image is saved that determines the size, not the size of the sources images).

I noticed no portraits (those appearing when someone is speaking) in Orakio's rip. Did I miss them ?
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Sat May 12, 2012 1:08 pm

orakio_rob wrote:Go to the offset 00015214 and you'll see the value 0E. Change this value and you'll change the spacing! I'm currently using 14.

I think you mean the contrary (it's originally 0x14 = 20 and you use 0x0E = 15). Another GRRRRRREAT thanks for the help.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Sat May 12, 2012 2:24 pm

@ Orakio :

After a careful checking, I noticed several images I got but you missed.

I noticed that those images were those whose adress in the dat file is not "rounded" (not finishing by 00).

When I decoded the DAT file, I made a quick and dirty script that looks for all occurences of "CM" in the DAT file and launches the descompressador on it, producing several errors since the sequence CM can appear without marking the beginning of a file (but no so often).

Then I converted the generated files if they start by "SGGG" (it seems to be a signature of a graphic format).

Here are the results. The numbers at the end of the file names are the adress in the DAT file.

http://www.mediafire.com/?0zdwo5kurem6wno

Maybe you proceeded more cleverly in looking in the DAT file the size of the compressed chunk, and jumping directly at the end of the chunk to find the next. If so, then the fact you missed some files could mean that there are sometimes more than 1 image per chunk.

It's just an idea for your hacker to investigate.

I looked in the SLPM and found 2 locations beginning by SG (more precisely by 53 47 03 24, whereas DAT graphic chunks begin with 53 47 47 47), at 0x7810 and 0x7a30. But I didn't figure out if they were images (if they are, their format os likely different).
Last edited by Tryphon on Sat May 12, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xrick » Sat May 12, 2012 2:29 pm

WOW! That's quite the discovery! Awesome!
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Sat May 12, 2012 2:32 pm

Not so much. I have not so more images, and I still not have the party sprites, what bothers me a little :)
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xrick » Sat May 12, 2012 2:48 pm

By the way, descompressador means decompressor... Just for the record.
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Sat May 12, 2012 2:50 pm

I guessed :) But first, it gives credit to the brazilian team, and second we all know what kind of compressed files it refers :)
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xrick » Sat May 12, 2012 2:55 pm

OH!!! OK, that's a good way :D

By the way... You found the dialogue portrait sprites!!! Awesome!!!
Couldn't you please try the same for PSG:1?
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby rafael_esper » Sat May 12, 2012 3:58 pm

Yes, I'm also waiting for the missing sprites in PSG:1, like portraits, 3D dungeon textures and some others (like the Gas area in Motavia).

Thanks for all the work.
rafael_esper
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby orakio_rob » Sat May 12, 2012 3:59 pm

Thanks a lot, Tryphon! I've told my romhacker friend about this, I'm waiting for his reply.

Regarding the quality of the rips, that's probably my fault ^_^ I don't really understand much about this stuff, so I've opened the extracted images in SGGG format and saved them in PNG format. Maybe something was lost, but as you said, they are visually the same, so I guess it's no big deal.

I can also help translating some of the comments in the source code if you need it, ok?

Is text in the SLPM coded the same way as in the DAT files ? Is this text special or is it classic ingame test ?

Well, I'm editing the SLPM using an hex editor (Mad Edit) as we can't extract the content properly yet. The file is filled with spell and item names, place names and recurring messages such as "Do you want to open the chest?" and "Do you want to equip it?".
Download the Compendium at my Phantasy Star website: http://www.gazetadealgol.com.br/downloads/
orakio_rob
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Rulakir » Sat May 12, 2012 4:19 pm

They're doing great for me, I'm finally able to update my games combat sprites to PSG easily, without all that pesky screenshot ripping. Even chopping some into other characters, I have battle sprites of Rhys from PS3 and Chaz from PS4, working on Mieu now.
Rulakir
Locusta
Locusta

Postby xrick » Sat May 12, 2012 4:37 pm

Rulakir wrote:They're doing great for me, I'm finally able to update my games combat sprites to PSG easily, without all that pesky screenshot ripping. Even chopping some into other characters, I have battle sprites of Rhys from PS3 and Chaz from PS4, working on Mieu now.

That's good, man! Good luck with it!
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Sat May 12, 2012 6:20 pm

orakio_rob wrote:Thanks a lot, Tryphon! I've told my romhacker friend about this, I'm waiting for his reply.

Regarding the quality of the rips, that's probably my fault ^_^ I don't really understand much about this stuff, so I've opened the extracted images in SGGG format and saved them in PNG format. Maybe something was lost, but as you said, they are visually the same, so I guess it's no big deal.

Don't get me wrong : if there's a fault, it's on my side. Images ARE originally (in the DAT) stored in 8bits + palette, I converted them to 32bits no palette. The conversion is no loss, but it wasn't needed (I was just lazy to read how to deal with palettes).

I can also help translating some of the comments in the source code if you need it, ok?

Thanks. I hope it won't. I'm french, and French is not so far from Portuguese.

Well, I'm editing the SLPM using an hex editor (Mad Edit) as we can't extract the content properly yet. The file is filled with spell and item names, place names and recurring messages such as "Do you want to open the chest?" and "Do you want to equip it?".

Text isn't compressed as it is in DAT files (is it in DAT files by the way) ? Could the SLPM file be completely decompressed (it would be surprising tough). I didn't find any "CM" tag inside...

I find illogical to store the party sprites in the SLPM whereas npc sprites are in the MAPDATA, and the party sprites were in the MAP in PSG1. That said, there are quite a lot of illogical things in PSG...

I'll extract images from PSG1 to see if I see something remaining.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xrick » Sat May 12, 2012 6:55 pm

About translating things to french... I barely remember french, if it were to english I'd be capable of helping (I think) but french... Not so sure...

I'll be waiting to see what else you may get from PSG:1 :D Go for it!
Also, if it isn't asking too much of you, could you try D3TEX.dat as well?
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff