Generation sprites?

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Re: Generation sprites?

Postby xrick » Tue May 22, 2012 8:31 am

Tryphon, how do you do to get the sprites and tiles?
I have an idea you're using Texmod but I never used it.
Can you give me some pointers, please?
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Tue May 22, 2012 6:27 pm

I already said I used Texmod for the sprites. I use version 0.9, in "logging mode", setting target application to PCSX2, then playing with the numpad.

You won't get much more than Orakio published. Images are often corrupted and you have to take several shots to combine them.

You'll have too to switch red and blue layer.

I don't think you'll get the Dark Force image you're looking for this way, but it's worth a look...
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xrick » Tue May 22, 2012 9:04 pm

It sounds a bit difficult, huh...
It's OK, I remembered about Texmod, I just wanted to be sure of the process, thanks for telling me.
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Wed May 23, 2012 7:02 pm

I'm having fun with the tilesets and sprites. My PSG2 engine is becoming interesting :

temp.png
temp.png (183.35 KiB) Viewed 19876 times

The biggest party ever seen in a PS game :D
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xrick » Wed May 23, 2012 7:55 pm

Dear goodness!!! :D
It looks good, what is it? I'm not remembering now...
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby rafael_esper » Thu May 24, 2012 11:42 pm

Tryphon, is this an engine made by yourself (in Python, I guess)?

I ask this because I have a similar engine in Java, adapted from Verge 2D game engine, and I'm also planning to do some PS remakes or similar stuff. So we know that there are a lot of common things like sprite sheets, chars sheets, map information (layers, obstructions, events) and so on, so we could colaborate with each other, if that is your interest.

Regards,
Rafael, the Esper.
rafael_esper
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Tryphon » Fri May 25, 2012 11:27 am

You guessed right.

I'm working on it since more than a year.

To be true, it's my third attempt : the first is complete excepts the battles but based on PS2 Genesis, the second was hybrid between PS2 and PSG2 and took much more time, especially because no ressources from PSG2 were available then, I started the third when Orakio's team made it possible to get ressources directly from the game, so it's still at a very early state but I hope to quickly incorporate code from the previous engines.

It's written in Python, using Pygame (based on SDL) as a graphic library. I'm trying to organize the code so it'll be easy to switch to another library, since I'm not sure Pygame is the best choice (game slows down when there's more than 2 layers on the screen, and most PSG2 maps have 3 to 4 layers ; it may be a library problem, or a conception one).

However, optimization is not my main focus for now : first it runs, with no bugs, then I'll optimize it.

I intend to make the game playable up to Teim's death, then going towards optimization. If necessary, I'll rewrite it then in C (or C++ ; I don't like C++ but it'll be a good reason to improve).

After that, I don't know.

If you want we exchange ideas, no problem to me, I'm open to it.
If you want we work together, since we're not using the same languages, it'll be more difficult.
Moreover, my code is dirty for the moment (few comments, often in French, and aimed at me. I make regular pauses in the development to clean it a little or rewrite it, but since I'm in a really early stage, it's not
schedulded in a near future)

Note too that I'm an amateur coder.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Kyence » Sun May 27, 2012 1:45 am

Great job,Tryphon! That looks great! I think the guy at the Clone Lab has been working overtime!

When you are finished,this would be used to make customized RPGs with the spritesets and such?
Kyence
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Tryphon » Mon May 28, 2012 4:18 pm

It could. I'd like to add PS2 two - three things (but not too much, because it's nearly perfect).

I'd like to remake PS3 too (and there's much more things to add/change here).
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xrick » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:26 pm

Sorry for bothering you again, Tryphon, but I wanted to try to ask you a favor...
As I wanted to get proper images of Mad Doctor & Gold Drake in the game's native resolution, I've been doing a 2nd run of PSG:1.
The first time, I played upscaled and with only one constant save (I wasn't thinking of situations like this one), so the images I had were out of proportion.
But now I've been making multiple VRMemCards with saves and emulator savestates, both on bosses and big events.
I finally reached (and beat) Gold Drake, and I've been taking snapshots of it to edit for my image collection, but I can't find one that feels balanced, the primary position of it...
Then I remembered that you've gotten PSG:2 cast's sprites through Texmod, which I didn't quite get how to use, and I thought of trying to ask for your help into trying to get Gold Drake's sprites. It's sprites on Gazeta are very incomplete...
Could you please help me? I'd really appreciate it...

EDIT1: It seems I wasn't quite getting that I had to use the numpad with Texmod...
I'll try by myself to get the textures first and then I'll say something here...

EDIT2: I've tried it already, and the colors really are all swapped...
How do I change the red and blue layers?

EDIT3: I got the sprite parts of Dark Falz, look...
PCSX2-R4600.EXE_0x08D3DEC3.png
PCSX2-R4600.EXE_0x08D3DEC3.png (172.94 KiB) Viewed 19808 times

The only problem is obviously the coloring...

EDIT4: And now... Gold Drake!
PCSX2-R4600.EXE_0x2C2B0C1A.png
PCSX2-R4600.EXE_0x2C2B0C1A.png (145.2 KiB) Viewed 19808 times

Again with the weird coloring...

Please help me, now with the coloring, Tryphon...
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:46 pm

For the coloring, it's in fact very easy : just switch the blue and red layer and you're done.

I personnally use Paint.NET plugin called channels (part of file sblegacy-222.zip it seems, downloadable somewhere on paint.NET plugins forum), it's fast. I can do it in the evening if you want.

So you've found monsters sheets that aren't in Orakio's and my lists ? It's very interesting. For now, I'm on my engine, more precisely I'm remaking Motavia's map which is quite complex (lots of layers, some of them are animated). When it'll be done, I'll surely begin fights engine and have a further look in the DAT files.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xrick » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:13 pm

Tryphon wrote:For the coloring, it's in fact very easy : just switch the blue and red layer and you're done.

I personnally use Paint.NET plugin called channels (part of file sblegacy-222.zip it seems, downloadable somewhere on paint.NET plugins forum), it's fast. I can do it in the evening if you want.

You can try if you want, I'd be thankful. During that time, I'll try to find this thing you pointed here.
Just a couple things... This is for Paint, right? And I can get it on that site, right?

So you've found monsters sheets that aren't in Orakio's and my lists ? It's very interesting.

I had a small glimmer of hope that those sheets would show up, it's just that nobody had the time and/or disposition to do it.
As I managed to get to the place, I tried it myself, and the miracle happened.

For now, I'm on my engine, more precisely I'm remaking Motavia's map which is quite complex (lots of layers, some of them are animated). When it'll be done, I'll surely begin fights engine and have a further look in the DAT files.

Can you show us the map of it when you get it complete? I'd love to check it out.
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby carlsojos » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:23 pm

xrick wrote:This is for Paint, right? And I can get it on that site, right?

The program is called Paint.net- it was originally developed to replace Paint in Windows computers, and the .net refers to the .Net framework it was built with. You'll find the program and its plugin forum at http://getpaint.net
carlsojos
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xrick » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:44 pm

I already found it, installed it and made the magic happen!
Here they are!!!
PCSX2-R4600.EXE_0x2C2B0C1Aa.png
PCSX2-R4600.EXE_0x2C2B0C1Aa.png (58.5 KiB) Viewed 19805 times

PCSX2-R4600.EXE_0x08D3DEC3a.png
PCSX2-R4600.EXE_0x08D3DEC3a.png (74.69 KiB) Viewed 19805 times

Thanks for your pointers, Tryphon.
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:17 pm

xrick wrote:I had a small glimmer of hope that those sheets would show up, it's just that nobody had the time and/or disposition to do it.

It's neither a question of time nor disposition, that's just we don't know where they are stored. Maybe they are in other files than the DAT one, maybe they are inside but coded differently, maybe the descompressador misses them for some reason.

It won't be an easy task to get them, I fear.

And of course, it's out of the question to use texmod for each missing frames (you saw the time it takes, and note that we don't even know how much sheets are missing and what they are).

As for Motavia, yes I can post it, but I don't know if it'll be useful.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff