PSBattle w/ images update

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Re: PSBattle w/ images update

Postby spookeydonkey » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:45 am

I wasn't going to update as I was making what I thought to be rapid progress and just wanted to release a near complete version of the program. However, in re-writing the graphics animation code (progress would have slowed to a crawl without it) I ran into a HUGE bug in the code that I have NO IDEA how to resolve.

I think I may re-code the project from the ground up (using all the existing sub-routines) but for now I am working on other projects. I am specifically learning Android programming and may consider re-writing the application for the Android platform. This isn't a final decision and I still want to try to resolve the error in my code.

I felt the need to apologize to anyone who saw promise in my program, especially as I thought a rapid release was possible. I hope I can update with better news in the future, but for now I am focusing my efforts on Android programming :)

p.s. I really want to try something 3d and phantasy star related on Android, even if it's just a very small demo
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Missagh » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:37 pm

Whether if you choose to rewrite or not, please keep us informed about how you progress once you have made your choice. All we want is to play it one day no matter which platform it will be released on. Good luck!
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby spookeydonkey » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:19 am

The pertinent code I need to rewrite (animation code) is written in almost pure c# and deals with parsing and XML file containing the descriptions of the animations. I have a very good friend that volunteered to help me port this code to Android/Java.

I find the idea of this program being run on a mobile device very intriguing.

I know I don't say it enough, but thank you everyone for your patience and support especially Missagh!
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby spookeydonkey » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:50 am

I really hate to say this but I'm at a difficult point in my life and I have no passion for programming currently. This last bug I encountered is very very frustrating and while I had a solution for it I seem to have forgotten it as I didn't right it down lol.

I'm willing to release an older version of my source code that has been somewhat cleaned up and commented so others can look at it, and build on to it or re-use whatever code may be re-usable (it's messy). Or as a way to learn XNA lol.

Once again I will repeat that my code is messy and only somewhat decently commented. I commented it in a way that would be helpful for someone learning XNA to play around with it. To use it Visual C# 2010 Express (free) should be installed along with the latest XNA (also free).

This does not mean I am giving up on my little project, however I want to contribute as I don't know when I can complete or even continue this project in the foreseeable future.

If anyone is interested please let me know by replying and I will post the code and I can give some limited help explaining the code wherever it's not documented.

Once again I apologize deeply.
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby spookeydonkey » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:18 am

i've unfortunately had the "luck" of having lost 2 weeks worth of guaranteed work (substitute teacher lol) that I was promised last week. This means I'm pretty free and other than my Dark Souls addiction (which is completely under control :) I wanna try rebuilding the game with only the graphics engine in order to try to figure out what my latest mistake was.

If I can get this stupid graphics thing to work, I will be able to release a good demo.

If not, I will release a demo that jumps straight into battle and see how that works out.

My current problem is that the code I use to animate only works on the overworld and crashes as soon as I load a random battle.
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby spookeydonkey » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:41 pm

all i have to say is " :) "
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Missagh » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:45 pm

Cheers for the update. I hope that you will get the graphics issue resolved so that we try out a demo of this thing :)
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby BenoitRen » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:29 pm

Please select the "Reach" profile for your game. That way more computers (including my laptop) can play it. :)
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby spookeydonkey » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:15 pm

The graphics issue is not an issue in the NEW program I'm making. The new program is basically just the battle engine and nothing else. No overworld, no towns, nothing. Just fight fight fight.

I'm getting ideas about how to try to fix the graphics issue in the older psbattle program, but for now that project is on hiatus lol.

BenoitRen I doubt I would ever wanna use the HIDEF profile in a game that uses 16-bit and 32-bit graphics and zero 3d :)

Guys I'm gonna try my best to release whatever gets done at the end of the day for PURELY TESTING PURPOSES. I wanna know if the game runs on people's PCs and if anyone has any issues installing. Please give me ideas about best hosting sites?
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby BenoitRen » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:02 pm

spookeydonkey wrote:BenoitRen I doubt I would ever wanna use the HIDEF profile in a game that uses 16-bit and 32-bit graphics and zero 3d

I don't know how much experience you have with XNA, so I thought I'd mention it just in case. Personally, I didn't know about the profiles until my laptop complained!
BenoitRen

Postby spookeydonkey » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:45 pm

hehe actually good thing you reminded me i had forgotten to target for Reach. All fixed.

Because of structural differences in my code I can't import the battle code from psbattle and have it work (I used a state manager in psbattle, i'm not using one *yet* in this program) I'm doing a very quick rush system and then posting a binary up. Right now it's lookin like Wren vs Mechoman lol. Poor mechoman doesn't know how to hit back, let's see if I can fix that up :p
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby spookeydonkey » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:26 pm

i'm sittin in the hooka cafe gettin a lot of final touches on the programming done and brainstorming some ideas of how to merge the two projects together without fatal errors.

let me put the last finishing touches on this program though and i should have it online in about an hour :)
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby spookeydonkey » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:36 pm

ok i got about 12 enemies basic sprites added but having some bugs switching between them a bit...when i get home i'll solve this and upload ASAP. patience please i will release tonight, i owe you guys :)
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby spookeydonkey » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:39 pm

Ok, here is a verrrry early alpha build of the game as it stands. There is only one button: The "A" button "attacks". That's it.
The sprites usually come out correct but for some reason the parameters for different enemies are coming out according to the first enemy loaded. That should be fixed by tomorrow or later tonight.

You will first need to install the XNA 4.0 runtime file found here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=20914
It's about 7 megs.

Then my file can be found here (1Mb):
http://www.4shared.com/rar/9xEJD9J6/ps3 ... furl=d1url

Please let me know if it works on you're system.
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby BenoitRen » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:49 am

The file is behind a member registration wall. :(
BenoitRen

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff