Petition: Nobel Peace Prize for Malala

The place to chat round the fire, share a tale, and just about anything else you'd like to do

Petition: Nobel Peace Prize for Malala

Postby Black Sword » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:27 pm

Hi all.

As we all know, the Noble Peace Prize Committee is run by people who select entities such as Obama and the European Union as the recipients for the award. I would argue that Malala, a child clinging to life after being targeted by scum, has done more for peace than either of the two I have named, and has certainly accomplished more than I, with a decade more experience on this planet. Even if it's only a petition to have someone else nominate her, I feel that it is only justice that she be considered for this award.

That's why I'm asking that the Cave find it in their hearts to also sign this petition and spread it so that others can lend this the last bit of support it needs. This isn't about creeds or politics, but to honor a brave child for doing what most of us would be too craven to do, and to show those who hurt her that they won't succeed.

Thank you.

http://www.change.org/petitions/nobel-p ... for-malala
"Where is Black Sword? I'd know his Orakio anywhere!" - BenoitRen
Black Sword
King Rappy
King Rappy

Re: Petition: Nobel Peace Prize for Malala

Postby BenoitRen » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:08 pm

How exactly was she promoting peace? It looks to me like she was promoting education.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby augmentedfourth » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:11 pm

While there may not be the most direct of connections between the two, generally speaking, children do not go merrily skipping off to school when there's a threat of some sort of weapon or explosive annihilating them and whatever schoolbooks (assuming there were any to begin with) they happened to be carrying in their precious little hands at the time. And should they be female schoolchildren, the "enemy" is their own countrymen. She knew the risks, yet she continued to campaign so girls like her could attend schools in a peaceful manner.

(And the nitpicking/splitting hairs/pedantic remarks will start in 3...2...1...go!)
filthymindedandroids.blogspot.com - an incredibly Not Safe For Work blog

"A dirty book is rarely dusty." - unknown
augmentedfourth
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Wing-0 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:15 pm

Education is an important part of human development. It's what separates us from savages, AKA the Taliban. It's not just going to school to learn how to add one plus one. Humanities and many other things are to be learned there.

I'd say Malala's actions speak much louder than all the western governments with their speeches and shit.
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Postby Tanith » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:07 am

I'd love to see someone like Malala win the Nobel Peace Prize. I hold no ill-will toward President Obama, but I still find his awarding of the Nobel baffling.
"I don't go to very many social events apart from fires." - carlsojos
Tanith
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:24 am

augmentedfourth wrote:(And the nitpicking/splitting hairs/pedantic remarks will start in 3...2...1...go!)

Please don't post flamebait.
BenoitRen

Postby Xander » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:53 pm

Being pre-emptive is not flamebait. ;)

I'd also have to agree with the others so far. For one; Obama, while a fairly decent president, hasn't really done much along the lines of what Malala has. He runs a large country from behind a desk. It's his job. You could argue that he's not exactly done a great deal to promote peace, though that's kind of hard to do what with the recession and the economy being in the toilet.

Malala, on the other hand, is stuck out in some bumfuck part of the world trying to help people just get to school without being blown up or whatever. She's paid for doing so by being targeted by nothing short of scum and is still going. That takes a pretty stern heart and a lot of guts.

So...yeah. Malala should get it.

And the fact the EU could get the prize instead makes me lol. But then again; since when has anything like this been about proper recognition and not glad-handing?
Xander
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Wing-0 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:46 am

Promoting peace by promoting education indeed.

http://s1111.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... sort=3&o=0
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Postby BenoitRen » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:10 pm

And the fact the EU could get the prize instead makes me lol. But then again; since when has anything like this been about proper recognition and not glad-handing?

The EU was founded after World War II to promote cooperation and to stop anything resembling the World Wars from happening again. In that respect it has been successful and deserves praise. That's why they got the prize.
BenoitRen

Postby Xander » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:29 pm

And I assume the fact that the whole Eurozone crisis, what with countries unable to support themselves financially and other EU nations getting themselves into more debt trying to bail them out constantly, (see Greece) is a sign of success too?

I wouldn't exactly class anything the EU has done of late as promoting peace either. Not in the same way Malala's been doing, anyway. One person in bumfuck pakistan promoting education > a bunch of countries like the EU promoting co-operation amongst each other. Besides that,t he EU was formed ages ago. You can't win the peace prize for something you did after world war 2.

Malala for the peace prize.
Xander
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby BenoitRen » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:23 pm

Xander wrote:And I assume the fact that the whole Eurozone crisis, what with countries unable to support themselves financially and other EU nations getting themselves into more debt trying to bail them out constantly, (see Greece) is a sign of success too?

Now you're just being mean (and misleading). The economic crisis is a very different issue and its existence doesn't negate the previous decades.
One person in bumfuck pakistan promoting education > a bunch of countries like the EU promoting co-operation amongst each other.

I don't think you can (or even should) compare them.
Besides that,t he EU was formed ages ago.

This is the only worthwhile argument you have. It's a valid question to ask "Why now?".
You can't win the peace prize for something you did after world war 2.

Says who? It's not exactly easy to form a union, especially including countries that have been fighting for a long time.
BenoitRen

Postby augmentedfourth » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:05 am

BenoitRen wrote:
Xander wrote:And I assume the fact that the whole Eurozone crisis, what with countries unable to support themselves financially and other EU nations getting themselves into more debt trying to bail them out constantly, (see Greece) is a sign of success too?

Now you're just being mean (and misleading). The economic crisis is a very different issue and its existence doesn't negate the previous decades.

With all the doodoo that's been flung around on this board, that's being mean? How is that mean?

BenoitRen wrote:
Xander wrote:One person in bumfuck pakistan promoting education > a bunch of countries like the EU promoting co-operation amongst each other.

I don't think you can (or even should) compare them.

Why not? You're the one who first questioned why Malala should be considered in the first place. Why shouldn't we compare all the candidates?

BenoitRen wrote:
Xander wrote:Besides that,t he EU was formed ages ago.

This is the only worthwhile argument you have. It's a valid question to ask "Why now?".

Nah, Xander made plenty of worthwhile arguments. Just because you don't have a valid response doesn't make his argument invalid.

BenoitRen wrote:
Xander wrote:You can't win the peace prize for something you did after world war 2.

Says who? It's not exactly easy to form a union, especially including countries that have been fighting for a long time.

*puts on the Tiara of Judgment* I deem this a worthwhile argument! Let's discuss it!

augmentedfourth
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Wing-0 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:25 am

BenoitRen wrote:Now you're just being mean (and misleading). The economic crisis is a very different issue and its existence doesn't negate the previous decades.

Mean and misleading? How so? He pointed to issues I have seen Europeans raise before, and GASP! He's also within the area! Maybe he has such an opinion? Holy cow! Could it beeee?

BenoitRen wrote:I don't think you can (or even should) compare them.
Besides that,t he EU was formed ages ago.

Why not? We compare pie to hotdogs and decide which we like more. Why can't we compare a girl that honestly studies and is an example that should be followed to a bunch of politicians that have agendas to push?

Both are under public scrutiny. Both can and should be compared.

BenoitRen wrote:This is the only worthwhile argument you have. It's a valid question to ask "Why now?".

Easy to dismiss someone's argument as invalid without a decent rebuttal. Also very lazy and ill thought.

BenoitRen wrote:Says who? It's not exactly easy to form a union, especially including countries that have been fighting for a long time.

I do. Current politics and situations are not the same they were such a long time ago. You know, it's been a shitload of time... The Great Patriotic War happened a long time ago. Not saying we should forget and move on. I say that we should see current issues and gauge their worth against other current issues.

HOLY SPAWN OF SATAN, IMPALED ON A DILDO! THE FORMATTING SUCKS!
FUCK THIS SHIT, I'M NOT MESSING WITH IT, I'M BUSY.
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Postby BenoitRen » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:39 pm

augmentedfourth wrote:With all the doodoo that's been flung around on this board, that's being mean? How is that mean?

It's mean because 1) it doesn't have any direct relation to what we're talking about and 2) it paints a very negative and wildly inaccurate picture of a European Union that needs bailing out left and right, and as if it's their own fault. It's more complex than that.

In short, it didn't need to be bought up, and certainly not in such a flippant way.
Why not? You're the one who first questioned why Malala should be considered in the first place. Why shouldn't we compare all the candidates?

1) As you said, I questioned why she should be considered. Not if she was more or less worthy than others.
2) The European Union is not a candidate. It already got the prize.
Nah, Xander made plenty of worthwhile arguments. Just because you don't have a valid response doesn't make his argument invalid.

Just because you don't consider my response to be valid doesn't invalidate my argument either.
*puts on the Tiara of Judgment* I deem this a worthwhile argument! Let's discuss it!

Now I can't tell if you're being flippant or serious.
Wing-0 wrote:Current politics and situations are not the same they were such a long time ago. You know, it's been a shitload of time... The Great Patriotic War happened a long time ago. Not saying we should forget and move on. I say that we should see current issues and gauge their worth against other current issues.

Agreed, but then again, the prize can also act as a catalyst for not forgetting the importance of the EU's role in the past. When would you have awarded the prize instead?
BenoitRen

Postby augmentedfourth » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:18 pm

BenoitRen wrote:
augmentedfourth wrote:With all the doodoo that's been flung around on this board, that's being mean? How is that mean?

It's mean because 1) it doesn't have any direct relation to what we're talking about and 2) it paints a very negative and wildly inaccurate picture of a European Union that needs bailing out left and right, and as if it's their own fault. It's more complex than that.

In short, it didn't need to be bought up, and certainly not in such a flippant way.

1) If you think something is irrelevant, that doesn't make it "mean". 2) Not every single thing in the world is positive. Unless you want everything uttered on this board to be sunshine and rainbows? And if you think it's inaccurate, that's your cue to bring up sources supporting your own viewpoint, rather than just trying to ignore what you perceive as negativity.

1) As you said, I questioned why she should be considered. Not if she was more or less worthy than others.
2) The European Union is not a candidate. It already got the prize.

1) If you questioned why she should be considered, that already implies you think her less worthy than other past winners or current candidates.
2) That means the EU was previously a candidate. Thus, comparing them is still reasonable.

Just because you don't consider my response to be valid doesn't invalidate my argument either.

And now we run in circles, wheeeee! You're certainly free to argue anything you may like, and you also have the right to hold the opinion that Xander's arguments are invalid. However, opinion is not the same as fact. My opinion is if you blow someone off, claiming their points are irrelevant and unworthy of debate, that just suggests you don't have a valid rebuttal.

Now I can't tell if you're being flippant or serious.

Tiaras are SERIOUS BUSINESS.

(Can we make this into a drinking game involving the words "valid" and "flippant"? They seem to be coming up an awful lot, so we might as well make it more fun!)

augmentedfourth
Blastoid
Blastoid

Next

Return to General Discussion