Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

How should the main characters be named in Generation:2 ?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:51 am

Use the full Japanese names
38%
Use the English Sega Genesis names
55%
It doesn't matter
7%

Total votes : 73

Re: Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation

Postby Kyence » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:31 am

Hi, everyone! It's been busy...holiday season, and starting a new job in January (yay, no more unemployment for me!), plus playing My Monster Rancher and getting nostalgic for Monster Rancher 2 (my fave in the series)...but I have been working on the game. I am just about complete with the graphic modifications to display English. At this point, I am thinking about just releasing one version...however, I will be providing the graphic files for editing along with instructions on how to do so if someone really wants the American names. Whereas in PSG1, the game itself was easy enough to edit directly because of no compression, this time around things will be compressed, so I wanted to outline things better for anyone to use in their own versions of the game.

The monster name discussion is great! I'm learning some things from it, and I will definitely participate in that more once I'm done with the graphics. I also found something neat:

Climatrol was known as "AMEDASU" in the Japanese version. I've heard that it literally translates to "rainmaker"...however, the term is actually an acronym for Automated Meterological Data Acquisition Systems (AMeDAS)...and has been used in Japan since the mid-1970's. There's even a Wikipedia page about it. I will call it AMeDAS; that must've been a fun reference for Japanese players.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automated_Meteorological_Data_Acquisition_System
Kyence
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Blaw- » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:38 am

Yeah, it's probably an abbreviation.

Like ビル (Biru) for Building (ビルディング).

About the katakanas that doesn't always match, it's also the same with "Illusionist" though this one is without a doubt the word so there might be some other typos (or maybe it's done on purpose but I wouldn't see why).

@Kyence : Yeah, I bet you read the discuss between Tryphon and I about this where-you-know (we discussed about it a month ago) In french, we decided to keep Climatrol, at least for now, as the word "Climat" exists in french and mean "Climate" so it fit pretty well.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:38 pm

A question for PSO/PSU/PS0 players : are there icons for elements (Fire / Water / Wind / Whatever) in those games ? If so, could you post a screenshot please ?

We plan to use them for PSGEN2 translation.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby celestria » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:05 am

there ya go^^
celestria
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby Tryphon » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:28 pm

Would it be possible to upload the image in true size, in png format ?
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:47 pm

Does someone know where to find the Motavian Ring in the game?

I played the game a few years ago on the original cartridge and I forgot where I got it.

I searched on a few walkthroughs on gamefaqs as well as the official guidebook and I can't find the info anywhere.

The Motavian Ring is needed to be able to talk to the Motavian, I'm actually in Roron and need to be able to talk to them to get the Jet Scooter (I'm translating the game in french playing at the same time to get context for the sentences and I'm actually stucked here).
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:12 pm

The motavian ring didn't exist in the original game.

You can find a good walkthrough (in Portuguese, but Google Translates it quite well) here !
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:07 pm

Really?

So how did we do to talk to the motavians o_O? They were directly saying the good sentences?

Thanks for the walkthrough. From what I understand, without google translate, seems you need Maruera and then go to Kueri to get it, I'll try that :)
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:07 pm

IIRC, Motavians were understandable in the original. Which was not the case of Dezorians (but I may have forgotten, it was 20 years ago :) )
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:38 am

Yeah, you need a hat for Dezolians and one of the two hats make them lie.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:44 am

Code: Select all
ノーフ,イビル,マニアっていう階級があるんだって!

Someone have an idea for that?

In the game, it's said there is three types of Motavians ("hierarchy/social class"), it's seems to be "proper nouns".

ノーフ => Norf ?
イビル => ?? (no idea)
マニア => Mania (this one is easy)
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Kyence » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:49 am

The second one sounds like "Evil" to me; there were Motavians called that in PSG1. I have no idea what the first one is supposed to mean.
Kyence
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby skymandr » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:08 pm

They were called that in the original Master System version as well, which isn't really helping I guess...

Strange to have "Evil" as a step in the social hierarchy, but I guess Maniac isn't much better. A wild shot at ノーフ would be a strange translitteration of "Nerf" (Kodama-sensei and party were inspired a lot by Star Wars after all...).
skymandr
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Kyence » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:57 am

There are a few monster names that I can't seem to decide on:

ギ・ル・ザ-ク --> ??? Gil Xak/Gielczak/Gilzak??? I have seen it used as a name on various Japanese sites
ルン・フィン・ガ --> Rune Finger, although it's spelled more like Rune Fin-Ga :roll:
ダ・ケムル・ラ- --> ??? Da- Kemuru- ra/la;I have no idea on this one. I am surprised that they have one of the monsters with such an easy name to figure out and not the other two. These are the Fiend/Wizard/Capeone guys.

イッポデホ --> Ippo "Deho"
ホズイトデホ --> Hozuito "Deho"

I see these translated as "Deho" meaning "chief" on this site but I can't seem to figure out how they came up with that. Hozuito was translated as "Fused." I have a feeling I will feel really stupid when someone points out these are right, but I can't verify these on my own. I am wondering if Ippo is a reference to the Ippo that did the music on PSIII and PSIV; she was working at Sega on other projects. There was an employee by the alias of Mizoran who has their name on a set of monsters in this game.

プラネットカバ- --> Planet Cover
マンカバ- --> Man Cover
バスカバ- --> ??--> Vas or Bas Cover?

Any help on these would be great - thanks, everyone!
Kyence
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Blaw- » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:16 am

Personally, I inserted the actual english names list and I'll see that at the end of the translation (need to complete a few english names and then to think about good french names for the monsters).

I'll do the same for the Motavians, once the whole game will be translated, I'll probably have a better idea of what they tried to do with those names.

@Kyence : Something that might help you later. In the file "0c" (Zema), adress 2bd5, it seems to be a song that the guy sing, making errors in the lyrics at his first try.

Source here : http://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=& ... 4429,d.ZG4
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff