Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

How should the main characters be named in Generation:2 ?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:51 am

Use the full Japanese names
38%
Use the English Sega Genesis names
55%
It doesn't matter
7%

Total votes : 73

Re: Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation

Postby Tryphon » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:10 pm

arromdee wrote:Okay, this doesn't have anything to do with translating names, but here's a request: could you make it easier to revive Nei in the translation? The way to do it in the original was ridiculous.

No, we can't. The game engine won't be modified, I don't even know how to do it.
I agree it's ridiculous. In fact, the idea to resurrect her is ridiculous.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Zio51 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:18 am

[/quote]
arromdee wrote:Okay, this doesn't have anything to do with translating names, but here's a request: could you make it easier to revive Nei in the translation? The way to do it in the original was ridiculous.

I don't think to call the method ridiculous to be really fair.

1) Finishing getting your Clear save data is not nearly difficult. It is much easier to beat the game in the port than in the original, especially Dark Force fight.
Ok to beat him fair and square is still annoying, but with Huey/Hugh paralysis skill, it is now virtually painless.

2) In terms of what to do, I understand you just need to trigger the all required dialogue events. Sure seems there are a lot of them, but there isn't anywhere a clear detailed walkthrough/guide that single out which dialogue is required from those that are not.
Hence why, usually going through more than necessary talking. There probably is an optimal way to go through the dialogue that is less time-consuming. Just noone has worked out that optimal way of doing it.

I think that's how it is anyway, I barely found any places with very detailed information about it: the guide on PScave and Gamefaqs (same one) being the most information I have seen. There might be obscur Japanese forums with better information but my Japanese proficiency ain't good enough to find those.

Tryphon wrote:I agree it's ridiculous. In fact, the idea to resurrect her is ridiculous.

Whether the idea of resurrecting Nei or not is ridiculous is arguable I guess. I sure am happy it is possiblle in the port, that's of those things that haunted me back then.

Besides since Nei is actually cloneable normally all the way through to AMEDasu, it did not make logical sense that she cannot be afterwards.
Ok perhaps, their lifeforce is 1 and because one is no more then the other is cannot live. But if that were the case, Nei 1st 'd have been dead a lot during my playthrough way back when I was playing on my megadrive .
Also why only Nei 2nd would suffer aftereffects and not the opposite doesn't seem to logical.

The guy at clonelab (I think) speak about it not being possible to use on a "non-human" or something but he was fine doing it before. There are many flaws to leave space for a revival to seem plausible as per story. The fact that both of them have their lifeforce kind of linked/shared could just be a misconception on their part (both Nei 1st and 2nd).

We all have our theories that satisfies the way we want this to be^^.
Zio51
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby BenoitRen » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:22 pm

Zio51 wrote:Ok perhaps, their lifeforce is 1 and because one is no more then the other is cannot live. But if that were the case, Nei 1st 'd have been dead a lot during my playthrough way back when I was playing on my megadrive .
Also why only Nei 2nd would suffer aftereffects and not the opposite doesn't seem to logical.

I think the way it works is that Neifirst being the original, and Neisecond being the being that split off from Neifirst, Neisecond is dependent on Neifirst's life, while Neifirst can live on her own.
The guy at clonelab (I think) speak about it not being possible to use on a "non-human" or something but he was fine doing it before.

Remember that Nei is both human and not human. She's part bio-monster. The problem is that after the fight with Neifirst, her bio-monster parts were completely destroyed.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Blaw- » Tue May 07, 2013 12:06 pm

There are some Motavians in Kueris who talks about "エリオサール", which seems to be a famous picture/masterpiece (名画).

After a bit of searching on google, it seems they talk about it in "Shilka's Adventure" (名画の油絵、「オパオパ」).

Did someone finished it and have some informations to share about it? (like the name, the background of it in the story, etc... Did they also talked about it in the Genesis version? I forgot)

Thanks!
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Tue May 07, 2013 5:06 pm

You may find this link of interest :)

I'm pretty sure they didn't talk about this in the Genesis version.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Tue May 07, 2013 7:13 pm

So, it's the name of the painter ("Eli Ossale") and "Opa Opa" is the name of the picture, okay (He's also talking about another one, "Upa Upa" in PSGEN2).
Last edited by Blaw- on Wed May 08, 2013 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby skymandr » Tue May 07, 2013 8:30 pm

... which reminds me that I still haven't finished Rudo's adventure...
skymandr
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Wed May 08, 2013 1:24 pm

By the way, is it just me who thin k Nanette's boyfriend is Hiram ?

She's talking about a guy who lives outskirt the town (Hiram's house is a bit out of the town), a guy who is doing research and in one dialogue, it imply his research seems important as she says more or less than if his research are so important, he can always get married with his research.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Edge » Wed May 08, 2013 9:48 pm

Any news on this translation release?
I've traveled back in time... 300 years... Just to call you a "Cracker"!
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby arromdee » Thu May 09, 2013 3:07 am

Zio51 wrote:I don't think to call the method ridiculous to be really fair.

I think the main thing that makes it ridiculous is that since nobody knows what the exact requirements are, it boils down to "see every line of dialogue in the game up to that point, to be sure". And there's no way to know that you've seen every single line of dialogue in the game; if you miss something, you won't know until you've wasted a few hours first.

It wouldn't be so bad if someone figured out a real set of requirements that was short enough that it could be checked off. Getting the best ending of Final Fantasy X-2 is as ridiculous, but at least for that game people have created lists of exactly what you need to do that you can go through so you know you didn't miss anything.

Even if it's not possible to have the translation change anything, is there any chance that analyzing the game enough to make a translation would end up discovering the requirements in the process?
arromdee
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby Blaw- » Thu May 09, 2013 12:31 pm

It'll need some tests, but it can probably be done, just need to get the actual list requirements and remove them, one per one starting from the end to see which ones are useless.

For example, if the first dungeon, I finally found it only require to talk to two people to unlock the next event (and I'm making a documentation while translating the game, which I will publish later).
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Thu May 09, 2013 12:46 pm

I think you're over-optimisitc.

The requirements for resurrecting Nei are likely some hundredth, some of them concerning PSGEN1 (yes, you must start the game with a complete save of PSGEN1).

So far, I haven't found how the events are triggered. And I don't think I'll try much more.

So don't hope anything on the subject.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Thu May 09, 2013 6:08 pm

Not sure it's over-optimistic, as it's useless to know what you have to do on PSGEN1, as long as you have a save which is working.

So only PSGEN2 events check are required.

http://monstevr.livejournal.com/543905.html

But personally, I don't find the ressurection of Nei very useful.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Thu May 09, 2013 6:45 pm

Blaw- wrote:it's useless to know what you have to do on PSGEN1, as long as you have a save which is working.

I didn't see anybody claim that.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby skymandr » Thu May 09, 2013 7:23 pm

Here is a Japanese site with some tips (mostly: talk to the governor, talk to your party members etc.). Maybe there is something new there, dunno: http://www.gamer-seven.com/ps2/nei.html
skymandr
Scorpius
Scorpius

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff