Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

How should the main characters be named in Generation:2 ?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:51 am

Use the full Japanese names
38%
Use the English Sega Genesis names
55%
It doesn't matter
7%

Total votes : 73

Re: Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation

Postby skymandr » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:08 am

BenoitRen wrote:I'd have to see the full interview for the context. Heck, I'll ask the reporter I know personally that regularly interviews her.

I'm afraid that there was very little context other than what I gave, the quote was given in one of those "boxes with additional information" that articles often had, so it wasn't part of the flow of the article. That being said, it's a nice article and I have it in mind to translate it some time before the end of the millenium. (If anyone is interested, that is.)

Anyway, my position remains that it is probably Engrish: an attempt to write Force that went almost but not quite right. It wouldn't be the first time... =) I do agree, however, that its frustrating to have such an ambiguity in the middle of the cannon (and obviously I agree that its worth discussing ... at length!)! If you can get your friend to ask her this once and for all, in an unambiguous manner, that would be fantastic, though I doubt it would settle it finally. I could also try to email the person who wrote the article, to see if he remembers.

EDIT: I found the author on a gaming community and have tried contacting him about it. Exciting times! =)
skymandr
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:03 am

If he knows her personally, ask her email and we'll ask her in japanese, then it'll be settled once for all (we can ask her to write it in english) (because if you don't trust one source, I don't see why another one must be trusted higher, so we would be back with the same problem.

Or maybe she has a twitter, might worth to check. I'm on my phone but will try to remember to check later. If yes, we could directly ask her there.

We could even ask her to write the meaning of the name in japanese, to be sure (for example, if it's dark force, it would be something like "yami no chikara/jaaku naru chikara").
Last edited by Blaw- on Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:04 am

Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:11 am

About Kyence translation, I'll give some news as I have some, hoping it won't bother her.

She said she translated files n°1 and 3, which represent 7% and 20% of the whole script size (file n°3 is the biggest one), so she seems to be, roughly, already at 30%.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby skymandr » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:43 pm

Great news! It will be an interesting year, 2014! =)
skymandr
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby skymandr » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:47 pm

Blaw- wrote:https://twitter.com/phoenix_rie

Seems to be her.

I asked her (it is her), and got a reply, though not the one I was expecting, nor the one I was hoping for. My question was: "How would you write Daaku Farusu in English?" [0], to which she replied "I believe it should be written Dark Falz". [1] The wording she used, however, was the polite and cautious way of expressing ones opinion, which may either just be politeness or may mean that she really just means it as an plausible alternative.

Since Twitter doesn't give you much chance at being elaborate (even in Japanese, where you can fit twice as long sentences due to the writing system) my questions was a little too vague (I really regret not giving Dark Force and Dark Falz as options!!! :oops: ), and the answer also, for me to be entirely satisfied. Therefore I asked for a clarification: "Does this mean that, in your opinion, Dark Force is a mistranslation." [2] Unfortunately, I've not received a reply to this, and since some time has passed I guess I will not. I may try again, or if anyone else wants to, please go ahead -- she seems to appreciate fan-contact.

As I've said above, I've also tried contacting the person who wrote the article in the Magazine, but so far no luck there.

So, back to square one..? :D

---
Original Japanese:
[0]: My first question: すみません@phoenix_rie先生!私はスエーデンPhantasyStar-fanです。翻訳の質問があります:ダークファルスは英語でどのように書きますか?[Excuse me Kodama-sensei! I am a Swedish fan of Phantasy Star. I have a translation question: How is Daaku Farusu written in English?]
[1]: Kodama-sensei's reply: こんにちわ!Dark Falz だと思います!よろしくお願いします![Good day! Dark Falz I believe! Pleasure to make your axquaintance!]
[2]: My request for clarification: よろしくお願いします!お答有難うございます!その場合、@phoenix_rie 先生の見解で Dark Force は誤訳と思いますか? [My pleasure! Thank you very much for your answer! In that case, is it your opinion that Dark Force is a mistranslation?]
skymandr
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xrick » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:00 pm

It seems me sticking to "Dark Falz" all this time was the right thing. Thanks alot, Kodama-sensei :D
Remember that back in those days, videogames suffered way more than nowadays at the hands of the localization teams...
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby skymandr » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:08 am

I am willing to concede that this means that the case for Dark Falz is at least worth considering... The Phanatic in me wants a more unambiguous answer before accepting it as canon! ;)
skymandr
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:58 pm

I think it would help if you included the fact that "Dark Force" translates to "Daaku Fosu" (I think that was it) in Japanese. :)
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby xrick » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:28 pm

"Daaku Foosu".
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:47 pm

Some points to consider are :
* Japanese are often awful at speaking or writing English (worse than French!)
* "Dark Falz" doesn't mean anything in English (and AFAIK in German either, just in case)
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:00 pm

French (raw) translation of the whole script is over :

My job is done ;)
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby darkwraith007 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:59 am

Just wanted to post a link that might be interesting information.
Apparently, even SEGA (and Sony) go out of their way to use emulators to replay the older games for re-releases and such.
There are images/screenshots of certain scenes in-game being taken with emulators (as seen in the text at the bottom of certain images).

As for Sony, their PS2 'software' emulation on the PS3 uses adapted code from PCSX2 because it has has been analyzed by tech-proficient people there and even has the exact same types of errors in certain games. They used software called 'IDA Pro', though I'm not familiar with it.
Amusing, considering all the crap that Sony gave the PS3 hackers just for the audacity to want to install and keep Linux on their PS3s.
darkwraith007
Locusta
Locusta

Postby D2Legend » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:18 am

Is this project still going to be completed?? I really hope so. This is my favorite RPG of all time and I just order the import so I could play the updated version. 'crosses fingers' :P
D2Legend
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby Blaw- » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:45 pm

Of course.

Didn't you read the previous messages?

I also talked about the english version in them.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff