Phantasy Star: The Algol Chronicles

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Re: Phantasy Star: The Algol Chronicles

Postby xrick » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:45 pm

Can't you show more maps? I'm curious now, they seem to be looking good.
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Rulakir » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:24 am

Some of them look better than others

No point showing most of the towns as they are almost identical to the PSG1 versions (except for Camineet which I showed earlier in this thread), as an example, here's a thumnail of Gothic direct from the game editor (minus the events)

Here is the Great Wall Tower:

And lastly, a little bigger as these are the actual PNG maps I'm using not clipped from the editor (due to there being too many events cluttering the image up) Jara Cave:

http://www.nerdrageonline.com/revenant/jara.png
Rulakir
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Rulakir » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:49 am

Just a brief post to say that the demo is coming out tonight or tomorrow, the extreme delay was caused by Uni, health and personal issues, my apologies!
Rulakir
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Rulakir » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:15 pm

http://nerdrageonline.com/sgd/PStarTAC.7z

Demo is released, hope you get some enjoyment out of it, and please leave comments here or via email
Rulakir
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Tryphon » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:52 pm

Downloaded. Hope to have soon time to give an eye.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Dark Storm » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:10 am

First time poster, long time lurker. Downloaded today. Great effort I'm looking forward to the potential.

Two things. Upon exiting the towns on the far east, the game freezes. Assuming a demo limitation.

In one of the towns, to purchase monomate. The window states it restores 500hp. Dimate 250hp.
Dark Storm
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby Rulakir » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:25 am

Which towns or areas specifically? I'll go over the data to find out what is causing the crash. You shouldn't be able to enter anywhere that is not in the demo. Perhaps a slight bug in the events referencing map data that no longer exists.

On the Monomate/Dimate description, good catch, will fix that one :D
Rulakir
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Dark Storm » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:44 pm

ok found the "crash". I was using RPG XP on my Android device, and it was when entering Palma, east of Camineet, for the first time. It would just hang there. Ive read the readme, and it would appear this is the worldsize kicking in. Tried it on my desktop, and it loaded without problems, albeit with a delay.

I exited camineet, then went further south, all the way to the impenetrable zone. Alis said we should come back later, which then appears to reload the entire map again as the screen went black. Only played for a few minutes so far, so I'll try and update with more info when I have time to try it further
Dark Storm
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby Rulakir » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:44 pm

Ah ok, the reload from Eppi Forest is something I hadn't foreseen, it happens because the event teleports the player a step away when you can't enter (need the compass to enter unhindered) in hindsight, this would be handled better by simply moving the player a step away instead of teleporting, which I have now rectified in the current build, and will be fixed upon the next demo.

I am currently attempting to pre-cache the entire Palma world map, so it only has to load once at the start of the game. However every method I try results in a crash, it may be that the map is simply too large for RPG Maker VX to handle properly =\

It is good to note that Palma and Mota are the only maps which have this issue, no town or dungeon map experiences any delay in loading.
Rulakir
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Dark Storm » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:10 am

Could you possibly provide a PNG map in the download of the world just for reference. After doing this, split the world into "grids", so that it minimises the load times. When you walk to the edge of one grid, load up the grid you walked into.

This would improve the load times, at the very slight reduction in gameplay experience. I feel it'd help overall if you cannot find another solution.
Dark Storm
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby Rulakir » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:16 am

I'm not sure that's possible with RPG Maker, perhaps if my map were tile based, but it's a parallax map, however, I can shave off the areas where you can't get to yet, which will half the size of the map. It's only a temporary solution though. As for the PNG I can do that when I get home. I'll put it up here for now, and include it with the next demo.
Rulakir
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Tryphon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:25 am

Your map is not tile-based ? :shock:
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Rulakir » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:21 am

Nope, the tile limit in RPG Maker would not allow for all the subtle differences in the tileset for (what is basically) 4 entire games worth of maps. Therefore all maps are parallaxed, assembled in photoshop tile by tile from the source graphics for PSG1 and 2. It's accomplished by matching the size of the map image to the size of the RPG Maker map, and setting it not to scroll, then overlaying an invisible tile layer which has one tile for solid, and one for passable, and drawing those over the appropriate areas on the map.
Rulakir
Locusta
Locusta

Previous

Return to Fan stuff