Is there any point to the Guard Claw?

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

Is there any point to the Guard Claw?

Postby etony33 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:11 am

The Guard Claw is ostensibly Rika's best weapon, but the only time it would ever be good to dual wield them would be against De-Vars, and you'd wield one along with the Silver Tusk for the final battle.

Grinding in Vahal Fort, dual Thunder Claws is the way to go. Otherwise, Silver Tusk/Genocyde Claw is your best bet. I'd rather have an extra Sol-Dew or something.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Re: Is there any point to the Guard Claw?

Postby MadBill » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:54 pm

I must confess the Guardian Claw was a major disappointment after learning how combat actually works in PSIV, its +3 DEF bonus is a joke!

Silver Tusk / Geno Claw are my favorite combinations near end game (Edge).

A curious fact is that most FAQs I used to look for info suggested equipping Double Guardian Claws...lol
MadBill
Locusta
Locusta

Postby etony33 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:16 am

If you were to simply look at the attack power, then you would assume that double Guard Claw is the way to go. The game certainly doesn't go out of its way to explain resistances/weaknesses.

It's actually better to use 1 Guard Claw and 1 Thunder Claw in Vahal Fort because the factor 7 weaknesses ends up applying to BOTH weapons (which makes no sense, but that's how it works. It would be the same way with resistances (at least I'm pretty sure it does. I'll have to test it. Easiest way would be to equip Silver Tusk/Genocyclaw and attack Sa-Lews. If it does 1 damage, it works the same way with resistances).

Everything in The Edge is weak to F6 (Silver Tusk). Everything except Prophallus and Outerbeast is susceptible to the Diem effect with the Genocyclaw. Therefore, that combination is best for The Edge, but not for the actual battle with PD. The Genocyclaw should be switched out for the Guard Claw just for that battle.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby MadBill » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:44 am

I can't number how many times I've beaten PSIV, but in all such occasions I completely forgot to equip the Guard Claw. Mostly because Rika rarely performed any attacks during the battle against the 3 forms of the final boss, she was rather busy casting Res, Sar, Deban and Shift while Chaz and Rune spammed Grand cross at the 3d and final form.
MadBill
Locusta
Locusta

Postby etony33 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:08 pm

If you never plan to attack with Rika, Guard Shield/Reflect Shield or Plasma Field/Reflect Shield might be your best bet.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby etony33 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:12 pm

Or even double Psy Shield for the Mental boost.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby MadBill » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:19 pm

Good suggestions. I'll try a "fully-shielded rika" approach in my next playthrough. =)
MadBill
Locusta
Locusta

Postby etony33 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:57 pm

Maybe Silver Tusk and one shield would be your best bet, just in case things aren't going well and you need to attack with Rika (which, to be fair, is unlikely outside of a solo run/LLG)
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby etony33 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:48 pm

In addition to the slight Mental boost, the Psy Shield grants resistance against Factor 11 (Evil Eye), so you have a few good options to consider.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby MrStarbird » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:36 am

it all depends on your playstyle and level. Silver Tusk is always required after you get it for her if you wish to attack. Guard Claw also gives a bonus to MDef and is her most powerful weapon. I will never dual-wield two Guard Claws because of the Silver Tusk. When I used to play casually, I always dual-wielded with her, which is totally safe with her levels in the 40s.

Most speedrunners will ignore the Guard Claw entirely, opting for a more supportive role for Rika in the end (she usually is around Level 34 or 35 against Profound Darkness in these runs). These runners will go Silver Tusk/Guard Shield on her. This technically is safer, especially at that level, though for the sake of speed, dual-wielding her while putting Rune in the supportive role with Kyra for the final battle is faster.
MrStarbird
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby etony33 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:57 pm

Yeah, if you're not going dual claws, Silver Tusk is absolutely the way to go.

It'd work as a second claw while grinding in Vahal Fort, and it'd work as a second claw for the final battle, but that's about it. I think it's Factor 2, so it'd work against the Rykros guardians.

So, it does have some usefulness, but not a whole lot.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby MrStarbird » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:58 pm

it's still pretty useful for the time you get it in the game just in outright damage, but in the edge, it does get trumped by the Genocyclaw just for pure effect. against the few bosses you're up against at that point of the game, it does better than the Genocyclaw. Still not worth getting two though unless you need the money.
MrStarbird
Blastoid
Blastoid

Return to Phantasy Star