Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation V2

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Re: Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation V2

Postby Blaw- » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:12 pm

After some tests :

This one appears fine in-game (one of Keinz' techniques) :

Code: Select all
// address = 1aa9f4, size = 36, pointers = [1653a8], c_style
Technique offensive détruisant les
machines. Puissance faible mais
large périmètre d'action.

But this one appears nowhere. Which techniques should the description point to? (I put a Z at the start of the sentence to be able to notice it more easily). I checked the techniques of all characters.

// address = 1aa9d0, size = 36, pointers = [16538c], c_style
ZTechnique offensive détruisant les
machines.

In english (if it can help) :

// address = 1aa9d0, size = 36, pointers = [16538c], c_style
Accelerates corrosion in a group
of machines.

// address = 1aa9f4, size = 36, pointers = [1653a8], c_style
Very fast but weak technique.
Damages all machines.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Goldenboy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:02 pm

This one is one of the techniques that have the same description of other....(different pointers pointing to the same description)..So , since Kyence made a special description for that TECH i decided not to waste her effort and to split the two pointers....

It references the AGER technique.
Goldenboy
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Blaw- » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:08 pm

Which character have a technique named AGER? I don't think I saw someone with such a name.

By the way, I search a bit on internet and for the next patch, we better use the .bin version (before, PSCave was offering a Japanese .iso version but it's not the case anymore), the more widespread version.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Goldenboy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:11 pm

KEINZ
LEVEL8 TECH AGER:
Accelerates corrosion in a group
of machines.
Goldenboy
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Blaw- » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:15 pm

Oh, okay, found it, thanks.

I really have a bad sight -.-
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby SandyLandale » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:59 pm

Blaw- wrote:You wanted to say CDs, right? (original games are CDs so I don't really see the point to convert them to burn them on a DVD, better burn them on a CD or either use another method to play, like OPL which use an USB key).

The ISO created by lua-interface (which is bundled with algoring) produce a CD ISO (like the original disk). And PCSX2 also detect the ISO as a CD:

Opening CDVD
isoFile open ok: D:\algoring-psgen2-final\output\PSGEN2-RC2-V2.iso
   Image type  = CD
* CDVD Disk Open: CD, 1 tracks (1 to 1):
* * Track 1: Data (Mode 1) (45818 sectors)

Comparison with a DVD ISO :

Opening CDVD
isoFile open ok: X:\Isos_Emulation\PS2\Grand Theft Auto - Vice City (PAL) [SLES-510.61].iso
   Image type  = DVD
* CDVD Disk Open: DVD, Single layer or unknown:
* * Track 1: Data (Mode 1) (2294320 sectors)

Tryphon said me to remember him for the tools next week if he forget.

PSGEN1's graphical issue on real hardware stems from a modded PS2 not being able to read the CD format. The graphic issue happens even on the Japanese version if you try to run it from a burned CD or off of an external HDD.

MHzBurglar wrote:Sorry for the quasi-Necropost, but I wanted to provide some information about the world map graphical glitches found when playing on real hardware.

The glitches aren't actually a problem with the translation patch, but rather an incompatibility with both OP2L and HD Loader, the two programs used to run games from the PS2 hard drive/USB storage on softmodded PS2 systems. The unmodified Japanese version of the game has the same issues when run using this method.

I managed to get the translated version running perfectly glitch-free on my real PS2 hardware by burning it to disc and running it using ESR. It's not as straightforward of a process, but it does work.

To get a burned copy of the game working using ESR, you have to first convert the ISO from a CD filesystem to a UDF DVD filesystem, as ESR is only able to boot DVDs. After converting the ISO, you need to add a 1.4 GB dummy file to the disc, as DVD-based PS2 games supposedly don't boot unless there's at least 1.4 GB of data on the disc and Phantasy Star Generation 1 is only about 60 MB in size. After adding the dummy file to the ISO, run the ESR patcher program to patch the ISO for ESR compatibility and burn to disc. Run ESR on your softmodded PS2 to boot the game from disc.

There's detailed guides on how to do the CD to DVD conversion available with a quick Google search; I wasn't sure if I'd be allowed to post a link to the guide here, as it's on the forums of a ROM site and I'd hate to get modded/banned on my first post.

To save everyone who wants to play on real hardware the work, I'd be willing to create an XDelta patch to turn the CD ISO into an ESR-ready DVD ISO if you guys want.

So to give people proper directions for playing the games on real hardware, we should give instructions on how to convert them to DVD format before playing.

Edit - Second pass of PSGEN1's script is done. I want to do a third pass, because I wound up doing a lot more on my second pass than I thought I would.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Blaw- » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:55 pm

I see.

But for people using for example Magic Swap, I guess the CD version should be fine. But yeah, it won't hurt to do two versions.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby SandyLandale » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:13 am

I found and contacted MHzBurglar again. I have him added on Steam so he can provide DVD conversion instructions when PSGEN1 v3.00 is out.

Blaw- wrote:I see.

But for people using for example Magic Swap, I guess the CD version should be fine. But yeah, it won't hurt to do two versions.

This is a good point; I'm thinking of reaching out to the /r/ps2 group on Reddit to ask for help. The only compensation I can think of is offering to put their name(s) in the in-game credits for having tested.

Blaw-, Goldenboy, what are your thoughts on that?
Last edited by SandyLandale on Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Blaw- » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:56 am

Why not.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:47 pm

I started a french translation of the original Genesis game and so far, I managed to insert both intros from the PSGEN2 french script without any problem by making the rom bigger.

What I do is comparing the genesis japanese script with the playstation 2 japanese script and then, copy-pasting the french translation in the genesis rom.

I took this hack as a base and will, of course, give credits to everyone who worked on it : https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/925/

But I'll also share a patch for the untouched rom for those who prefer to play the original version.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby SandyLandale » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:43 pm

That sounds promising! Can't wait for the final outcome.

I haven't asked around /r/PS2 yet because I wanted Goldenboy's blessing on this as well. Nothing much to report on my end other than the third pass of PSGEN1 English v3.00 is going slowly but surely.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Goldenboy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:21 pm

Sorry for the delay ...for me no problem...the more the testers the better..I ONLY just want to add that the ENTIRE CREDIT Section will be REWRITTEN/UPDATED ACCORDING TO EVERYONE once the project is FINISHED... ;)
Goldenboy
Locusta
Locusta

Postby SandyLandale » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:04 am

I made the post today and got my first report. We got a Monomate dropped on a real PS2 with no issues!

u/VACRMH's report:

https://i.imgur.com/PVJsYwa.jpg

Looks just fine to me!

If it matters, to use the iso with OPL (open ps2 loader, the software most people use to load games on ps2 via a hdd, network share or USB storage) I had to mess around with a few things to get the image working.

I actually found some older posts on the forum the project page is on that explained how to do it. I can upload the iso for you if you'd like.

Hope this helped!

I asked VACRMH if they had a preferred name for the PSGEN2 in-game credits and readme, and also asked for any info or files they could share on getting PSGEN2 working on a real PS2. The help post is still open as of now.

I'm waiting on one more tester's report for PSGEN2, and hoping any SwapMagic users can offer to test PSGEN1. I'm not hopeful on that latter part though, since I'm getting the impression that SwapMagic has kind of fallen out of fashion... I have had someone suggest an alternate method of playing PSGEN1 without needing to burn it to a disc, but it's all Greek to me. I'll continue reporting any new developments.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Goldenboy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:56 pm

GREAT NEWS!!!

Thanks SandyLandale!
Goldenboy
Locusta
Locusta

Postby SandyLandale » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:22 pm

No problem, Goldenboy! I'm waiting on the other report still, and then hoping I can find someone who can help with PSGEN1.

I also have two minor reports for PSGEN2 that I discovered while messing around.

- The new buy/sell text is strange. Right now it reads, "Buy : [Item] ?" and "Sell : [Item] ?" The colon and space before the question mark don't need to be there. "Buy [Item]?" and "Sell [Item]?" work fine.

- If a piece of equipment casts a tech when used as an item, the description makes note of which one it is. Kyence and co.'s beta had an icon before each tech name, but it doesn't appear in v2.00 anymore.

Small tangent... is there a shorter way to say "a piece of equipment that casts a tech if it's used as an item"??? "Equipment with techs" or even a casual "enchanted gear" maybe?
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff