PS1 on the Switch

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

PS1 on the Switch

Postby MrStarbird » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:28 am

https://www.rpgsite.net/news/7612-phant ... -september

There seem to be some slight changes/quality of life changes they are going to make, like in-game dungeon maps and adding in the FM music (I'm assuming this will be a toggle), but it does say lower difficulty setting as well, meaning the game will probably be more speedrun friendly.

I'm actually hype about this. I have enough copies of the original that something similar yet different sounds like a blast.
MrStarbird
Blastoid
Blastoid

Re: PS1 on the Switch

Postby Zucca » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:27 am

Looking really cool indeed.
I think I'll eventually get Switch. That would make it my first Nintendo console. :P
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Drake_Zeppeli » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:16 am

Arguably the biggest godsend to the Switch version of PSI I've seen is the increase in walking speed in the overworld.

The slowness of the walking in the original is why I just couldn't be patient enough to beat it, as well as PSII and PSIII.
Phantasy Star is the love of my life...in the platonic sense.
Drake_Zeppeli
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby MrStarbird » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:40 pm

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/s ... tar-switch

Today's the day! Can't wait to speedrun this when I get home tonight.
MrStarbird
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby MrStarbird » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:37 pm

For anybody who has a Switch, I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend this version of the game. So many added features such as the 4x multiplier on XP/Meseta, faster walking speed, automapping, the ability to toggle on/off FM sound, ability to switch language, or to have none of those features and play the original game (with or without the automapping). I believe this game to be the definitive version of this classic that even younger players of today could pick up and enjoy. To me, this still feels like the same game even with all of the added features (they even kept the original translation)

$7.99, it's worth the pick up
MrStarbird
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Drake_Zeppeli » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:07 am

A multiplier of four on EXP and meseta...if only I had a Nintendo Switch, then I'll have an excuse to go back to this game and finally complete it, lol
Phantasy Star is the love of my life...in the platonic sense.
Drake_Zeppeli
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby nectarsis » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:11 am

Getting my Switch on Christmas, and one of the first things I'm going to DL/play.
nectarsis
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby MrStarbird » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:24 pm

for speedrun purposes, what used to take over 5 hours to complete (6 on average) now takes less than 1 hour 15 minutes.
MrStarbird
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby fogeltje » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:51 pm

I can recommend the game as well. I only found out about the game last weekend and immediately bought it. I must say I'm not a fan of the FM sound, but that's probably because I grew up with the EU version of the game and played it many many times (not only on my Master System II but also on the Wii virtual console).

Thanks for the automap feature I even discovered a hidden passageway in a sidedoor In Medusa's tower that I never saw before (back in the day my brother and I had hand drawn maps and never discovered the fake walls or this side door). The 4x multiplier does speed up the game. It also lowers the encounter rate. If you would combine that with faster walking speed (I haven't) it means you can run through the game pretty quickly. I hardly needed to grind. The only real grind I did was to level up and buy equipment to fight the Saccubus. I always try to defeat him ever since I found out he's defeatable, even if the rewards are small.

That reminds me, the maps on PS Cave also don't show it. When going up to the 4th level of Medusa's tower, take one step forward and turn to your right. There's a locked door and behind it a small corridor with a chest. http://www.pscave.com/ps1/dungeons/images/medusa5.gif
fogeltje
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby MrStarbird » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:30 am

I didn't know about that myself. I even played an all dungeons run and missed that completely. The treasure isn't worth the time, but it's neat how still after all these years, before the help of mapping features, these things were still missed.
MrStarbird
Blastoid
Blastoid

Return to Phantasy Star