We're on to Gryz

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

Re: We're on to Gryz

Postby etony33 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:50 pm

I've spent the last few days doing nothing but running from everything except Greneris, using Crash, praying for a Star Dew, escapiping out if I get one, saving, and repeating the process ad nauseam. Every few Star Dews, I try to beat Dark Force. I'm now at level 55, with 30 (!) Star Dews and one Trimate.

Still not even close to beating him.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby etony33 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:53 pm

YA BOI
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Doctor Hooves » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:54 pm

Congrats :D

Also, what emulator is that?
Doctor Hooves
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby etony33 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:03 pm

AndroGens.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby etony33 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:01 pm

No, wait, it's Gensoid.

Last night, I used the Laco Rod 92 times, killed two Xe-A-Thouls, and the other one promptly wrecked me with Giwat.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby etony33 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:49 pm

Lol.

I need to come up with the optimal strategy for the end of this fight. Any ideas?

They have 1500 HP apiece. Equipping an axe and using Sweeping is out of the question.

Gryz has 460 HP. With the Plasma Field and Reflect Shield equipped, here's how much damage Gryz takes on average:

Giwat: 230-260
Attack: 25-60
Gizan: 50-100
Thndrblast counter: <10, usually 1

The Thndrblast counter is always used if: a) all three are alive, and b) all are damaged with a single attack. It cancels out any action they otherwise would take for that turn. Despite the name, it deals factor 2 damage rather than factor 7. Gryz has the Plasma Field equipped, granting F2 resistance. With an axe equipped, he takes ~130 damage.

With his present setup, Gryz has 60 agility. This allows him to act first about 99% of the time. However, 99% is not 100%, and a single Giwat can be deadly.

His only way to deal multi target damage here is by using the Laco Rod. It does a pitiful 15-20 damage each time. This forces the Thndrblast counter. He usually has to use a Trimate at some point to prevent the damage from the Thndrblasts to add up (it's usually 1, but sometimes more like 10, and that adds up over dozens of attacks. Also, one of them will go first every now and again, doing significant damage if it doesn't kill Gryz). When he does, that enables them to use individual attacks, thus possibly necessitating another Trimate if Gryz even survives.

Eventually, the damage will add up. If it doesn't kill all three at once (which is unlikely), they can then use Giwat and kill Gryz. If two die and Gryz survives the ensuing attack, he has a Tornado Dagger he can use to finish the other one off.

You can see the conundrum. Any ideas?
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby etony33 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:11 am

Xe-A-Thoul was, as you may imagine, incredibly frustrating and difficult. I ended up using the Swift Helm on the first turn, despite the risk, then healing until I had 200 or so HP remaining, after which I started the barrage of Laco Rod for 15-20 damage per turn. I had to heal in the middle, as the Thndrblast counter sometimes did around 10 damage rather than 1, and I lucked out by killing two of them at once, then getting only 50 damage from an attack (Giwat would have killed me). Then, I used the Tornado Dagger and won.

Lashiec was easy. I didn't even die once. Now begins the grind to get ready for DF2, though I don't think I'll need more than a handful of level ups.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby etony33 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:43 am

DF2 was easy to beat. Not every day I get to type that.

Oh, and the game continued without a hitch afterward. I had a party of Chaz/Rika/Wren/Gryz/Kyra, and they all died to a single Light Shower.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Doctor Hooves » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:45 am

I wonder how DF3 will be. His Shadow Bind might make some situations tricky, since he’s one of the two (the other being the Chaos Sorcerer) bosses with a debuff.
Doctor Hooves
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby etony33 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:29 am

Eh, not really. I can just use the Swift Helm again during my next turn.

Chaos Sorcerer is hardly a boss. Unlike the Fract Ooze under Monsen, it's vulnerable to ID attacks, and almost every character has one (Holyword, Diem, Dthspell, Eliminat, Crash, etc)
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Doctor Hooves » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:46 am

Oh, right, I forgot about that XD

They should’ve made the boss version harder. I always thought the boss version had Corossion (or whatever its spelling is), but, nope, regular enemy exclusive, like its Tandle.
Doctor Hooves
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby etony33 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:58 am

I agree. The same goes for the D-Elm-Lars in Climate Control and the Dominators in Vahal Fort. It's weird that they made a second version of Fract Ooze, but not the others.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby etony33 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:18 pm

Have I ever told you how much I hate Evil Eye?

Just in case I haven't...

I &%$# HATE EVIL EYE

This Evil Eye is too evil to leave standing!

Tony's anger triggered the Megido technique. But it didn't matter, because Tony slept for three straight turns and died.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Previous

Return to Phantasy Star