Phantasy Star Compendium pages 51 to 55
PHANTASY STAR - THE END OF THE Millennium
Phantasy Star - At the End of the Millennium
A comprehensive collection of unreleased settei data by character designed Yoshida-shi. Notice the fine detail in the settei; it puts anime to shame.
AGE: 16 HIGH [or HEIGHT]: 176 cm TYPE: Hunter
- [Rudy learning Megido]
- At right is a cut from the last issue of "SPEC". [Rudy is saying, "Megido... is destructive power?..."] Below is Rudy dressed in modern clothing.
- [Rudy with sword]
- An original pencil sketch drawn for the 1992 Toy Show.
- [Rudy and Fal]
- Rudy and Fal. Fal becomes a source of moral support to Rudy, who misses Lyla.
- [Rudy with sword]
- Original sketch drawn for the 1992 version introduced at the 1992 Toy Show. Rudy's face is unusually intimidating.
- [full body shot]
- Rudy was originally planned to appear as a pro Hunter. The settei at left shows him at about that time; he was changed soon afterwards, since it seemed strange having a pro Hunter at level 1.
- [manga Rudy and Dark Force]
- An image-cut drawn for publication in publicity material. It's of Rudy and Dark Force, who has completely infested the artificial satellite Kuran.
- [young Rudy]
- Rudy at about the time when he was the boss of a gang of thieves.
Rudy had been in an orphanage in the town of Tiria, but he was thrown out after the death of his sponsor. After that, he rounded up some companions in similar positions and formed a ring of thieves. His natural talent made short work of the adults [who tried to stop him, presumably]. Lyla was the hunter the beleaguered town hired to catch Rudy.
AGE: 1 HIGH: 168 cm TYPE: Newman
- [Fal in dress]
- Fal all dressed up. We wanted her to appear in an outfit like this somewhere in the game.
- [Fal jumping]
- A very lively Fal in an action pose. It's good to see that girl so full of energy, isn't it?
- [head shots]
- Fal displaying a wide range of emotions. Since she was born not long ago, her naïveté is charming.
- [full body shot]
- Her winter gear, used in events on Dezolis. It was rejected in order to have her outfit in the events mesh with her battle outfit.
- [Fal crying]
- An image-cut drawn for publication in publicity material. It's the scene where Seed self-destructs.
- [end poses]
- The surrounding sketches were drawn for use in the ending.
- [full-body shot]
- Settei of a winter outfit used for events on Dezolis, similar to the one on the preceding page.
- [Fal concerned]
- Fal has the most settei of all the characters. Makes you wonder if Yoshida-shi has a particular attachment to her.
- [Fal attacking]
- An anime-conscious illustration. The original script called for this to be used in an anime visual scene, but it wasn't used after all.
- [Fal reading]
- A cut used in the official guidebook. Fal is studying above.
- [Fal faces]
- In the surrounding settei, Yoshida-shi's Millennium heroine seems to be inspired by Nei.
- [strange-looking girl - like a cross between equal parts of Freyna, Shess, and Fal]
- Since there was strong opposition on the staff to "Nei" [what Fal was originally called], a counter-proposal was made for another heroine. Here are the settei for the "Esper girl".
- [black-tipped-eared Fal]
- Yoshida-shi was stubborn, and, once he made the tips of her ears black and changed her name, the character dispute was settled.
The Purpose of the Newman's Existence
Seed, the supervising computer at the Bioplant, foresaw the harsh conditions Motabia and the people living there would undergo in the generations to come. Seed's assignment in Algol's environment maintenance system was to balance the ecosystem with the birth of a lifeform suited to the environmental changes. To this end, Seed began study on how to preserve the human race by improving it. Data on the "Neitype", studied for a similar purpose before the Great Collapse, became the basis for this lifeform. Fal was born under these circumstances, but not just as a new type of human. She was also expected to mix her bloodline with that of a human to perpetuate the new race of humans. The term Newman, then, means to say "the lifeform that will give birth to and become the matriarch of a new human race."
- [older Fal and son]
- Settei dreamed up by Yoshida-shi on twelve years after Millennium. The man himself says they're just doodles, but I'd sure like them to come true. [Here's where things get interesting - in the settei, a somewhat older and sadder Fal (sporting a Hunter's uniform and a new haircut - a ragged just-short-of-shoulder-length cut with a Starlights-style ponytail in back) with her *son* Rui (could be "Louie", but I'm assuming his name is a derivative/diminutive of his father's). Rudy isn't pictured. Why? Because he's DEAD. Yep, Shorty, in Yoshida's eyes, never even made it to 30. I can't read all the text next to Fal - small, scribbled characters again - but I can give you the gist of it - after Rudy's death, Fal joined the Hunter's Guild and became its most renowned Hunter. She raises her son on her own, and the bandana she now wears was a bequest from Rudy. Her son, Rui, is eight years old, though, because of his mother's blood, he's growing up a little faster than usual and should reach adulthood at 12 or 13. He's also showing great potential as a Hunter. But, back to Fal now - though the canonity of this is sketchy, I feel so sorry for the dear. The entity that was, in effect, her father, blows himself up, she leaves Forren, the only other person who was like family to her, to stay with Rudy, then he dies early, leaving her to take care of a child and become a brood mare for a new super-race of humans. What a sad fate.]