Poll ended at Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:58 pm

Yes
43%
No
57%

Total votes : 7

Should coloured text be allowed?

Postby BenoitRen » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:27 pm

I've read a couple of complaints about Abominae's posts recently related to coloured text, and there have been one or more before that as well. I'm asking the community if coloured text in posts should be acceptable instead of deciding on my own (of course I'd still have to propose it to Missagh).

Please vote.
Last edited by BenoitRen on Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Abominae » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:46 pm

Wow, dude, for real?

If it's not one thing, with you, it's another.

I never thought a moderator would go out of his way to be this much of a prick over something so trivial. I'm really disappointed.
Abominae

Postby BenoitRen » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:02 pm

I accidently voted for the option I didn't want to vote for. Please vote again, whoever was the one who voted before me.

Look, you are going out of your way to make the text of your entire post blue for no good reason, which is a pain to read on the default board theme. It annoys some members enough to complain about it.

If I wanted to be a prick, I wouldn't have asked anyone anything and just edited all of your posts to remove the colouring.
BenoitRen

Postby Abominae » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:08 pm

I make my text blue because I like the color and because it helps me find my own posts, which is usually a big determining factor in where I post again.

For instance, I probably won't pay attention to a thread I don't have much interest in but may go thru it to see if I've posted there or not. Sometimes I have, other times I haven't. The fact that I have a post there tells me I took an interest in it. Then, I re-read whatever I need to and make a new post.

I've been a member of this site since '07. It was never a problem before, and as far as I know, people only voiced annoyances with it far and in between (you could count the number on one hand).
Abominae

Re: Should coloured text be allowed?

Postby Danny » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:26 pm

BenoitRen wrote:I'm asking the community if coloured text in posts should be acceptable instead of deciding on my own (of course I'd still have to propose it to Missagh).

Please be a little more specific, are you asking if coloured text in posts should not be allowed at all or too much like in every post? I personally feel that coloured text should be allowed, but just not in every post because it can be a little hard on the eyes sometimes. It is good to use for spoilers when you don't what the text to be very visible, but than again it will still be if you use the other forum skins besides the default one. Perhaps PSCave should get spoiler tags? Then coloured text might not be needed any more, but it would still be nice to have. I guess it's up to Missagh, but I would still keep it.
Run for your lives! It's the huge sandworm that never reaches you!
Danny
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Missagh » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:54 pm

This is a hard question, because coloured text might be important to highlight a word/sentence that someone is posting or it can be used by other reasons, and therefor it would be hard to not have it as a feature.

I believe the easiest way to solve this is if Abominae is up for using a lighter colour, for instance Cyan? That way, he can find his posts easier and it should not be any problems reading it.

Ive moved this thread to Site Related.
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby Semix » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:11 pm

i think the colour is a symbol of freedom. It personalizes the person. I like it when A. Does it. Id do it too if i wouldnt forget/not be bothered.

Colour FTW!
Semix
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby BenoitRen » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:59 am

I mean posts with most of the content coloured.

Why coloured text? If you get an avatar, you can look at a glance as well. Even easier would be to search the page's text for your user name.
BenoitRen

Postby Danny » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:52 am

BenoitRen wrote:I mean posts with most of the content coloured.

I had a feeling that's what you meant which is why I voted the same as you. :)
BenoitRen wrote:Why coloured text? If you get an avatar, you can look at a glance as well. Even easier would be to search the page's text for your user name.

I completely agree with you on this. The two methods you listed are a lot easier ways of finding your posts than using annoying coloured text. Besides, how hard really is it to find a user's message anyways?
Missagh wrote:This is a hard question, because coloured text might be important to highlight a word/sentence that someone is posting or it can be used by other reasons, and therefor it would be hard to not have it as a feature.

I find it easier to put a word in bold rather than using colour. It stands out more that way. Example:

PSIV is my favorite game in the PS series.
PSIV is my favorite game in the PS series.
Missagh wrote:I believe the easiest way to solve this is if Abominae is up for using a lighter colour, for instance Cyan? That way, he can find his posts easier and it should not be any problems reading it.

My sentiments exactly. Coloured text is a nice thing to have on a forum, but it shouldn't be used in every message since it can be hard to read at times. I don't really mind the blue text that Adominae uses, but it would be nice not having to highlight every word just so I can read it.
Run for your lives! It's the huge sandworm that never reaches you!
Danny
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Abominae » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:36 pm

I can't begin to tell you just how frustrating it is reading this section. For a few moments, I thought the thread had been deleted. I can certainly understand why people would want me to change the color I use... but it seems like such a ridiculous request.

I've been wandering from forum to forum for... years. I was a large part of why the Crimson Glory forum became active, altho, in all fairness, I'm probably one of the reasons why people were able to admit that they didn't really care about a band than had two decade long breaks and subsequently stopped going to the site.

In every forum I've been to I've used colored text (except gamefaqs). It's just something I do. I habitually look for my "signature" blue text so I know where I left off. I started off using red, but that didn't treat my eyes too well so I switched to blue (the color I prefer more) and have had no trouble at all reading my own texts. Maybe this has something to do with the board format that people use, but I use default and blue comes out just fine on a black background.

I always thought that this would be the site to have an issue with this... but I never thought it would come from two complaints about it so close together. And I certainly never thought I'd be asked this by an administrator. Honestly, I feel a little insulted.

I've always stuck to what I believe in and it's harder for me to change something that, to me, is more of a characteristic than a simple shade of text. I know it seems stupid to a lot of people... but you'd have to have had a strong connection to an inanimate object to understand. In my case, it was a Squire Stratocaster. Maybe it's just a biased opinion, but all thru highschool, I never found anyone with a better sounding or better feel than that Squire had. And most of the guitars I sampled were more expensive.

At this point, all I can tell you is to make a decision. This is a very irritating subject for me and I've said all I want to about it.
Abominae

Postby Zucca » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:37 pm

The problem comes when some of us use different theme with white bg. Altough... blue color shows up in both pretty well.
I think turning off the color should be selectable in settings. In other words: ignoring colors: yes/no. That would be fair. Right?
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Return to Site related