After 11 years, we finally have ads! [UPDATE]

Questions, suggestions and comments regarding Phantasy Star Cave goes here

After 11 years, we finally have ads! [UPDATE]

Postby Missagh » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:00 pm

Updated: read this!

Who is excited? :D

Jokes aside. The server is getting a big expensive to maintain and so unfortunately google ads will have to come to the rescue. In a top secret room, aka a hidden board, we have been discussing of where to take PS Cave and the plans are big. In order to finance the enhancements, there is no other choice. However I have plans on bringing PS Cave to my dedicated server but that will have to wait for now.

So what does this mean to you? Probably not much as I am sure you know how to avoid ads anyway. Or you have ad blocker plugin like I do :) Regardless, any support in terms of daily clicks would be appreciated.

And remember, if you need to blame anyone, blame Benoit, it was all his fault (joke)!
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Re: After 11 years, we finally have ads!

Postby Semix » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:59 pm

I'm fine with ads, unless its the ads that pop up in a new window and make my pc slow down, and they get in the way. Or ones with a close box, but when you press it, a new window opens etc. Normal ads are fine
Semix
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Zucca » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:55 pm

I have a shell access to one server in Finland. I run few programs there and eventually I will host my own pages there (or at least one mirrored copy of my pages).
I also have at least one Gigabyte of space there. I pay only 20€ a year for it, so it's really nothing. There's also possibility to use php, perl, cgi... databases... It's really full blown webserver. OS there is FreeBSD.

I also have my own (old) server, but I have limited the services to very minimium. Server side includes at most. At least the accessibility is quite good and more than a terabyte of space.

So if in any need - I can host some (at least) static pages.

As for the ads... As long there's no annoying gifs and NO FLASH. It should be punishable by law to use flash on adverts.
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Missagh » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:13 pm

Some bad news and some good news. The bad news is that the google ads have generated 2 clicks in the past few days. Which is VERY low considering the thousands of impressions. I know if we adjust the ads and make them more a part of the content, the number will be higher. But I don't feel blasting this site with annoying ads will do any right.

So the good news, at least for you guys and the visitors is that I have decided to remove the ads (should be gone sometime today). I will obviously figure out something for the hosting so dont worry!

Cheers Zucca for the offer, but I will seek a different solution. I have a few ideas...
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby BenoitRen » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:41 pm

Don't impressions generate some money?
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Re: After 11 years, we finally have ads! [UPDATE]

Postby Missagh » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:58 pm

No adsense is a Pay Per Click system.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Re: After 11 years, we finally have ads! [UPDATE]

Postby carlsojos » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:44 pm

When I saw a website, Randomthoughts, put up text Google ads, they made about 3 bucks the first month. Generally, more than a couple clicks per several thousand views looks extremely similar to click fraud, because most people don't click ads. Hence those annoying ads that try to force you to click them. To help your brainstorming, another website I visit was banned from Adsense somewhat recently, and they had to revamp their business model to compensate (authors are promised to 75% of the money made when they submit games). http://www.choiceofgames.com/blog/2010/09/8-ways-to-make-money-now-that-were-banned-from-adsense/

Hope this helps.
carlsojos
Scorpius
Scorpius

Return to Site related