Phantasy Star: Genesis

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Postby Edge » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:18 pm

No doubt... Rm2k is very limited, but I totally agree with you, it's not limited to the point of not being able to produce greatness... With your map making skills, you could probably make a successful game with DCGames (SUCKS! Makes OLD school Ultima style games).

rm2k or compile, I'm looking forward to this game.
I've traveled back in time... 300 years... Just to call you a "Cracker"!
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Daren » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:06 pm

Edge wrote:No doubt... Rm2k is very limited, but I totally agree with you, it's not limited to the point of not being able to produce greatness... With your map making skills, you could probably make a successful game with DCGames (SUCKS! Makes OLD school Ultima style games).

rm2k or compile, I'm looking forward to this game.

DCGames? I haven't heard of that one, is it good?

Now for a quick update while I'm at it, I was talking about remaking the chipsets so I don't have to use the PS2 one and said I was in the process of making new buildings so here is 2 example of em.

I have 2 other ideas for more of em so I'll leave you with this for now.
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Edge » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:25 pm

It's greatness if you like games with NO animations (Including walking animation, or water tiles) with a battle system like Civilizations, yet, an RPG game... aka, it sucks horribly... But it's supposed to be the way it is... It's for making old school Ultima type games... Ultima I and II were it's motivation behind it.

http://members.chello.at/theodor.lauppert/games/dcgames.htm
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Daren » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:38 pm

Edge wrote:

It's greatness if you like games with NO animations (Including walking animation, or water tiles) with a battle system like Civilizations, yet, an RPG game... aka, it sucks horribly... But it's supposed to be the way it is... It's for making old school Ultima type games... Ultima I and II were it's motivation behind it.

I see, the way I hear it, it's more for a strategy style game? Never played both of these Ultima games... Holy crap! I just looked at your link......... I'm left speechless ;)

Alright another new building and after this one I only have one to finish and then good bye PS 2 chipset! This one will be the biggest tower in the game for a town.

Alright that's all for now
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby lyla2284 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:09 pm

Your mapping skills are truly remarkable, Daren. This game has a lot of potential, and I have a feeling that this is one fan game that won't be canned, like the other poor souls who canned theirs. :D
lyla2284
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Daren » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:56 pm

lyla2284 wrote:Your mapping skills are truly remarkable, Daren. This game has a lot of potential, and I have a feeling that this is one fan game that won't be canned, like the other poor souls who canned theirs. :D

I'm working hard on it as you can see, but damn it's a long process in the making. Right now I'm looking at how I can upgrade the battle animations and I'm looking at how I can make a hit that looks and feels like the Generations games.
I just which I could be good with all the programing and such cause you can make the best graphics but in the end if the game doesn't have any good options it will still feel empty...
But thanks a lot Lyla :)
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Edge » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:06 am

Programming in rm2k? What do you mean, just switches and variables?
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Daren » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:34 am

Edge wrote:Programming in rm2k? What do you mean, just switches and variables?

I'm not going to hide it, and yes I look like a real dummy for this, but I couldn't save my life if someone told me that it depended on coding something with variables...
I must have looked at 5 different videos and read 10 different tutorials and I just can't get it. It would make my life so easier if I could, I'd try my hand on a caterpillar system, different Attack sounds for each monsters in battle and hey I heard that there was someway to animate the enemies has they attacked. That and definitely much more I'm sure but so far I have managed pretty good using switchs and fork conditions.
I would need someone to explain it to me as if I was understanding Chinese but you know keep at till I got it, using simple examples and such, when you ask for helps on other forums they blow you off like you should get it because they do ;)
I have so many ideas Edge and I would love to make them happen but I'm getting to a point where I'm asking myself "if I finish all the maps then I have to continue doing what I can instead of making all I can"

Anyway that's just me ranting ;)
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Zucca » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:23 pm

What I know about RPGmaker2k is that you do can program your custom events and so on. It uses ECMAscript (commonly known as JavaScript).
I once did a small game with it and coded a boat shop by myself.
Although I used translated version (english) by Don Miguel.
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Edge » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:58 pm

It's actually extremely simple. Of course nothing is easy unless you read some documentation and catch a drift of wth the doc is talking about. Rm2k isn't half bad, but I wouldn't really call it programming.
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Zucca » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:01 pm

I think you can archieve best results with sphere. It's just that using sphere requres a lot of reading the manuals.
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Edge » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:20 pm

No kidding... It is a hell of an editor though!!
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Danny » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:38 pm

It's coming along very nicely! And I know what you mean... It sure is annoying that RM2k doesn't support animated monster attacks. Quite a shame too because the default battle system is perfect for PS fan games. You could make a custom battle system, but it would take a lot of scripting and it wouldn't look as good in a PS game.

If you're looking for a caterpillar script, download and open up either Raja's Adventure or Kyra's Quest. Rodrigo allowed me to use his script for that and it works perfectly! I was actually thinking of doing a remake of my fan game. With the same story, characters and dialogue, but remade maps. Bigger and more detailed maps would be a good idea, especially in dungeons. Hm, now I'm really thinking about this.
Run for your lives! It's the huge sandworm that never reaches you!
Danny
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Daren » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:34 pm

Danny wrote:It's coming along very nicely! And I know what you mean... It sure is annoying that RM2k doesn't support animated monster attacks. Quite a shame too because the default battle system is perfect for PS fan games. You could make a custom battle system, but it would take a lot of scripting and it wouldn't look as good in a PS game.

If you're looking for a caterpillar script, download and open up either Raja's Adventure or Kyra's Quest. Rodrigo allowed me to use his script for that and it works perfectly! I was actually thinking of doing a remake of my fan game. With the same story, characters and dialogue, but remade maps. Bigger and more detailed maps would be a good idea, especially in dungeons. Hm, now I'm really thinking about this.

Thank you Danny but since the last time I posted this there as been quite a lot going on. Edge is giving lots of help on the game since he knows how to work RM2K like the back of his hand. He will be scripting the Caterpillar system in the game, he actually found a way to animate monster attacks which is the best news I've heard since I started this project, sure there are lots of things to work out in it and lots of photoshoping to do but basically it works.
We have been bouncing ideas off of each other which finally gave something I've been meaning to do which is, the entire Palman coast line is now animated exactly like the one in Phantasy Star one.

Aliright back to work
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Daren » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:16 am

Hey everyone

No I'm not dead, I've been hard at work on a friends game lately in which I'm making some chipset's that I intend to use of course. You see in order continue development on my game I need some more tiles, so I started looking at PS3's chips to see if I could use em cause if you think about it those ships left Palma a long time ago and they did build them on Palma. So it's just natural to get inspired by them is some ways.
Anyway I'm not going to post all of em here cause you guys know what they look like but I do have one picture I want to share. It occurred to me that in all of the PS series, they never made a chipset just for Dark Force so I decided to make one and here is what it looks like so far. I say so far because I'm still working on it.

I've tried to take some aspect from Dark Force himself and work them into the walls. As for the floor, I thought that it would be cool if they looked like veins of some sorts and when I'm finished with it, they will be partly animated so you can see the blood flowing through them.

So that's all for now
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff