Phantasy Star: Genesis

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Postby Daren » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:28 pm

Alright here we go for the weekly update!

I've done nothing visual so I haven't got a screen shot to show you, yea I know it's not so exciting anymore eh? Anyway, I've finally gotten around to finishing the towns folks for the last two towns displayed in the demo of the game. I've also started working on a ferry system that will bring you from one port to the next but I have yet decided if I will be making a chipset for them or if the player will only have to go the Palm terrain to embark on the ferry. Knowing me I'll probably create one thus making my job a pain in the bleep! But making one would had to the game play an all so...
What else? oh yea, I'm starting work on a new side quest that will be quite thrilling if I play my cards right ;)

So that's about it, it doesn't look like much but it was about 8 hours of work.

Also do I still have my two testers? Benoitren and Blackwaltz 0? because apart a few details here and there, testing should start shortly. A problem I could come across to is the game file itself because I'm working with an original soundtrack and RM2K doesn't allow MP3's so I'm stuck with Wav files. The file will be at least 500 megs but I'm also considering encoding does wav files into less sound quality which would cut the total Meg count by half.
Anyway you folks have a great week!
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:52 pm

Yes, I'm still one of your testers!
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Daren » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:00 am

BenoitRen wrote:Yes, I'm still one of your testers!

Great! I might have to make a CD out of the game and send it to you. Would you mind that? Or else I'll try to make a cheap website and host it there because I dough Missagh would want to host such a big file.
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:33 am

I wouldn't mind, but it's probably easier to upload your game to one of these file sharing websites.
BenoitRen

Postby Daren » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:14 am

BenoitRen wrote:I wouldn't mind, but it's probably easier to upload your game to one of these file sharing websites.

My brother is still supposed to make a web site out of the game but he is loooooong overdue anyhow since I don't have one, I'll try to find a site like you said that can host the file for a short while so you can download it. I have also ask Missagh if he would want to have it for testing or just exploring. Tell you what give me a little time and I'll upload something soon. I'll send you a PM as soon as that's done.
I can't believe will start before New Years when I thought it would have been for February or March.
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Zucca » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:14 am

Daren wrote:I'm working with an original soundtrack and RM2K doesn't allow MP3's so I'm stuck with Wav files. The file will be at least 500 megs but I'm also considering encoding does wav files into less sound quality which would cut the total Meg count by half.

Try to find a mp3 plugin or similiar for it.
You could also try to save your wavs and mp3 encoded wavs. Wav is just a container afaik. But again that would need more dependencies as not every platform plays mp3 encoded wavs straight...
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Daren » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:12 pm

Zucca wrote:Try to find a mp3 plugin or similiar for it.
You could also try to save your wavs and mp3 encoded wavs. Wav is just a container afaik. But again that would need more dependencies as not every platform plays mp3 encoded wavs straight...

Actually RPG maker 2000 only plays wav files, there was an MP3 plugin and I found it but it doesn't work, so I'm stuck with what I have. I'll try to encode them the best I can without loosing to much details to at least have a game file which isn't to big.
Alright first Sunday update

I have finished 3 other weapons , one is the Fire Blade, the other Titanium Blade and the last one is another axe called Cyber Axe.
I have also finished working on a new store called The Key smith. There you can buy a special kind of gum in order to make a mold of the key you need and then you bring it back to the store in order for the Key Smith to make the key you need done.

I am now working at making another "flashback" to add to the character development and in the same process I finishing up the last side quest of the demo.

I also want to note that I have talked with Missagh Alami about the game and he suggested I finish the entire game before sending the demo. In theory he's absolutely right, Finishing the game would be much better for everyone... But, guys, I'm alone in doing this and I've passed a very VERY long time in making this game up to this point, it's been one hell of a journey now let me at least say that. Finishing this game would take double the time I've already passed on it and in the end it wouldn't be done until at least another year. I also want to send them to my testers for them to point out various errors or bugs that need fixing or just to give me there opinions on how it could be improved all together. I plan to work hard with Benoit to make this better for all of you who want to play it, I just didn't tell him that yet ;) Benoit, Missagh tells me you can be of great help and over the time spent here I've come to have great respect for you, so perhaps we can work on this together soon. As I already told you I will be sending a demo your way soon, so I'm hoping this will be the start of a good partnership.

Alright guys back to work ;)
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby NickyP » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:13 pm

There's nothing wrong with releasing a new demo so long as the update is substantial enough. Just remember that no one really wants to play the same thing twice*; if you release an RPG demo that has say 3 towns and 2 dungeons, the next demo should at least have 6 towns and 4 dungeons. Of course I'm not saying that every release should double in content, but the next release should definately be a good update; one that will merit someone to take the time out of their day to try it.

*I mean towards releases. If one release is hardly different than the other, it's hardly appealing. That's all.
NickyP
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby BenoitRen » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:16 pm

NickyP wrote:definately

AARGH! The cursed typo! It's defInItely. DEFINITELY. :'(

(sorry, I couldn't hold myself)
BenoitRen

Postby Daren » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:57 pm

NickyP wrote:There's nothing wrong with releasing a new demo so long as the update is substantial enough. Just remember that no one really wants to play the same thing twice*; if you release an RPG demo that has say 3 towns and 2 dungeons, the next demo should at least have 6 towns and 4 dungeons. Of course I'm not saying that every release should double in content, but the next release should definately be a good update; one that will merit someone to take the time out of their day to try it.

*I mean towards releases. If one release is hardly different than the other, it's hardly appealing. That's all.

I think you're right, The game as it stands now as 4 towns and villages, one huge mountain and forest dungeon and 3 more dungeons but work is already done on 4 more towns and 2 other dungeons for the latter release of the new demo plus I'm working on 2 more dungeons.
When I look at it, it took me so much time because I started building everything from scratch, I needed to make the Palma chipset and the Phantasy Star style dungeon chipset as well. All the battle animation had to be completely made "every weapon, techniques, magic or skill needs different animations. Since it was during the PS2 time line and it's set on Palma, I wanted my different chipset to be like PS1's but I needed to update those to fit a 16bit /Genesis game and not just reuse the original, so that meant completely revamping the towns, villages and dungeons.

Now that almost everything is actually made, making what comes next should be much more faster.

Anyway heres a little update some people have been asking me.

Yes these are the Ivory Towers ;) Caminet, the Spaceport and Bortevo are just to the West and yes later in the game you will get to enter these towers. I put three of them there although I'm not sure if there should only be one, two or three, What do you guys think?
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Daren » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:28 am

Alright Last update for probably a week with the hectic one that's coming my way... So I'd like to say Merry Christmas to everyone here :) I hope all of you will enjoy this most festive night.

Alright I've decided to put up 6 pictures for your looking pleasures hehe

Titanium Blade

Fire Blade

Laser Axe

Alright the weekend is clearly over... Have a great week everyone!
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Daren » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:09 pm

Alright I've just finished re-editing the Laser Bars Battle animations to make it look like a PS 4 attack animation and I thought I'd have a little fun while I was at it and show you the differences between frames of animation old VS new so here we go.
Every one knows the classic Nei attack

Now here is the same frame PS4 style while keeping the original feel.

Same thing with these two

Ok that's all for now.
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Missagh » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:40 pm

Daren, this is awesome stuff! I like the screens. Will you be keeping the PS II style background for the finished game or are you considering PS IV style?
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby Daren » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:10 am

Missagh wrote:Daren, this is awesome stuff! I like the screens. Will you be keeping the PS II style background for the finished game or are you considering PS IV style?

Thanks for your nice comments Missagh! As for your question, I've been having second thoughts about my decision for keeping the PS2 Background every since I've started the game almost a year ago. My problem is that even though I have all the PS4 backgrounds, I feel the it doesn't fit my game for the reason that I keep seeing PS4 when I look at them, they have a Mota look and not a lush Palma world. One of the ideas I've had was to upgrade the PS 1 background by editing them, but that would take me a heck load of time to do, so as the game stands now, I'm keeping the original PS2 background.

PS: I'll re e-mail you very soon, this week as been... lets just say very busy ;)
All of you take care and have a very Merry Christmas!
Daren
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Zucca » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:14 am

If you want, I could create some 8-bitish battle backgrounds..?
Just tell me the dimensions (in pixels) and I'll see what I can do.
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff