Phantasy Star: Genesis

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Postby Daren » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:01 am

Happy new year everyone!

Hey guys I hope all of you had one heck of a new year's eve party, mine was... well lets just say I forgot most of it hehe but anyway I'm back from my little vacation and I've restarted work on the game with a new animation. Lana, the numan doesn't use techniques like all of the other party members, she as the ability to cast magic instead and while wanting to keep the spirit of the original Phantasy Star 1 game, I've been trying to make new animations that even though looks like it could be out of PS 4, it still keeps the style of PS1.
Everyone knows that there were only 3 magic attacks in PS1 and right now I've done the Wind animation out of scratch and also used the original PS4 Foi attack for the Fire animation (Although I will be making a new one for it soon because I don't like it enough) Anyway, after a long time spent in Photoshop I have just finished the Thunder animation. In it you see Lana charging electricity around her which she then brings to her hand and then shoots it out in one big bolt.
I hope you all like and without any further ado I've uploaded 7 of it's 25 frames of animation.

This animation was one of my toughest yet but I'm pretty proud of it. I hope it really keeps the feel and look or the original though and I think you guys would know best so what do you think?

Also, Peter Simons my composer as upload all the music he's composed so far on his website so if you're curious to hear the original music from the game, I invite you to go to http://www.synchrotones.co.uk/phantasy_star.htm

Alright that's all for now
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Daren » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:03 am

Hey everyone, I just wanted to post a few picture of my revised Fire spell, hope you like.

Alright that's all for now
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Zucca » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:43 pm

You're on fire, man!
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Daren » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:37 am

Zucca wrote:You're on fire, man!

Thanks Zucca!

I have a small update to make, I'm trying my hand on doing an actual full bodied attack animation. I've developed a method and I'm curious to see how it works, I took 5 or 6 pictures of myself in a row while I was making the animation in front of the camera. Now I just have to edit and paint them to what I want the character to look like, fit them in line, make the weapon animation and then well, animate them.

I'll keep you posted!
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby lyla2284 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:40 am

Hi Daren. Your fan game has made significant progress since the last time I was here. I look forward to playing the demo. You should check out my fan game as well, it's back and better than ever! :D
lyla2284
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Zucca » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:12 pm

Any more shots from outside?
?
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Daren » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:09 pm

Hi everyone!

More then 2 months have passed since I last posted anything about the game which is still in production I assure you. I have been making progress on it of course but at a slower paste due to illness and a job promotion but the progress as been very nice ;)
I'm almost finish eliminating the original Phantasy star 2 chipset from the game due to the fact that well almost the entire game is set on Palma and you can't have the same chipset from Mota, it's just not original and kind off lazy to keep it. Here is a picture of what the new towns will look like when all is done.

This town is called Padriow and is situated on the Northern tip of the main continent, close to where you went and got the "Cake" from the dungeon in Phantasy Star 1. As you can see it's a port town just like Scion is.
Don't know what you think but I've tried to add as much details from the original series while trying to keep that Phantasy Star feel. I hope I('m succeeding in my numerous attempts.

As for the demo.... well it's done for the most part (minor details need fixing), but I feel as if I shouldn't release it just yet, you see someone once said to me that if you release a demo and plan on making 3 or 4 other ones before finishing the game itself, then you are asking everyone to play the same parts 4 or 5 times to finish the game which well sounds like a bad idea when you think about it no? so I've decided on finishing all of the towns, all of the dungeons, all of the animations before releasing what would be the first half of the game which is set mostly on Palma. After that's done the demo will come out and I'll go and finish the rest. Most of the towns on Palma are now completed (only 3 of the 16 remain) Most of the original Mota map as been reproduced, half the battle animations are done and eventing for about 1 fifth of the game is finished. I will also had when the demo 1st of two demos is completed new side quests that weren't in the first demo to begin with so that you don't just play the same thing over again.

Ok! one picture is not much but I will be adding more as the weeks and months come and go.
Again sorry about the long wait but this is a huge project and one that isn't easily done on a one man show ;)
Take care

Daren
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Daren » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:58 pm

Here are 3 other towns

First Kadrimed, an old abandoned town on the main continent

Second Leron West, Leron was one city more then a hundred years ago before separating into 2 parts, Leron Est and West

And last but not least, Eppi with a face lift ;)

Alright!

Daren
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:01 pm

Very nice work. :)

Don't worry about update posts too much. Personally I think one post a month is enough to say "I'm alive!".
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Zucca » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:41 am

*applause*
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Edge » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:22 am

You're a beast at map making. Those are fricken nice.
I've traveled back in time... 300 years... Just to call you a "Cracker"!
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby rodrigo » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:14 pm

very good
rodrigo
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Daren » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:07 am

Hey everyone

First of all thank you very much for all your warm comments, as I always say I'm making this for all of you PS fans that really wanted another "original" PS game that Sega never produced, so in other words, you are all keeping me going in a way :)

I was looking at my town maps yesterday night and noticed that the newer ones compared to my old ones had a real difference about them, meaning that the difference was really noticeable between when I had only started more then a year ago and what I am producing today. So I decided that they really needed a little face lift and here is what the final product looks like now ;)

The town Kisuru Before

And After

As you can see, there is a nice difference between them and yea I thought instead of just making the "Training Room" in a normal house, why not make a new building for it where as a year ago I would have never attempted it so lo and behold the Coliseum was born.

Alright back to work!
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Zucca » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:40 pm

What program you are using to create your game?
RPGMaker2k?
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Daren » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:42 pm

Zucca wrote:What program you are using to create your game?
RPGMaker2k?

Yeah... That was one of the bad choice I made right at the beginning because the program is pretty limited. If I had my way all the monsters would be animated, the music would be in mp3 format and there would be a few other things I would explore. Sure I could use another program now but the would me starting from the beginning and I'm not to keen on the idea, not to mention all the programing that I'd have to do which I'm not good at.
Anyway RM2K is a pretty reliable program and you can still make a good game out of it.
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff