How many people are remaking PS3?

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Postby Eleah » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:31 pm

After checking the thread, I have to agree with Black Waltz 0. Maybe we should make some kind of contest... "The PS3 remake contest", maybe that will encourage people to finish at least a demo? Don't misunderstand me, I know the hard work making a fan-game is, and I lack the patience to do one myself, so I really admire all of you! But seeing so many PS3 remake projects over te years ends up being a "funny" thing.

And yes, the more projects, the merrier! Lots of different views on one game and the posibilities to improve it will make each game unique. Good luck to everyone!
User avatar
Eleah
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:51 pm

Postby Rockstar » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:05 pm

Edge wrote:We want a video before dedicating (or sharing) graphic ripping to your project...


I don't know that ripping graphics from the original would accomplish much except to take some of the work I dislike off my hands.

I would much rather have an artist or artists contributing graphics to the project, whether it's tiles, sprites, portraits, etc. to make it look better than the original (and not just play better).

Anyone who might be remotely interested in doing that, I can definitely offer a playable demo to so they get a feel of how the game runs and all. Obviously, the demo is not graphically impressive, but it does have a lot of features (full menus, battle system, several locations, save/load, etc.) and a polished soundtrack (mostly remixes of the original).

Just contact me by PM if such is the case; I'll link you to a playable demo; please also specify what you could offer to the project.
Rockstar
Pinchant
Pinchant
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:31 pm

Postby salviati » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:56 am

Alicia wrote:I have no clear end date in mind, could take me 6months, 1year, even 2, I dont know yet and even if a remake is released before I finish mine, no problem i'll still keep going. :D

That's the spirit :)

Eleah wrote:And yes, the more projects, the merrier! Lots of different views on one game and the posibilities to improve it will make each game unique. Good luck to everyone!

That'd be my point!
But I also wish the fan-game community would stick a bit more and support others. I means, most people don't tend to publish resources (tile/sound rips and whatnot) or source code, it would help community to pick up some momentum.
I put on my robe and wizard hat.
User avatar
salviati
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:15 pm

Postby Daren » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:17 am

salviati wrote:But I also wish the fan-game community would stick a bit more and support others. I means, most people don't tend to publish resources (tile/sound rips and whatnot) or source code, it would help community to pick up some momentum.


People don't share resources most of the time because of how much effort they put on building there's but if you want some original sprites from other PS games I could give some to you.
User avatar
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:51 am
Location: Montreal

Postby salviati » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:00 pm

Daren wrote:People don't share resources most of the time because of how much effort they put on building there's but if you want some original sprites from other PS games I could give some to you.


So only the stuff we don't really work on should we share? Because what, we're all selfish, vindictive bastards crawling on earth? C'mon, there is a whole community of free software ---and I'm not giving you a philosophical argument here, it is real. And there are people who think people should share more than crap.

I believe (or hope, pick one) that's not the motive for people not sharing. I know some people think what they do isn't worth sharing, or too lazy to clean up for publishing.

So anyway, I'm still keeping my point :)
I put on my robe and wizard hat.
User avatar
salviati
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:15 pm

Postby Zucca » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:05 pm

salviati wrote:But I also wish the fan-game community would stick a bit more and support others. I means, most people don't tend to publish resources (tile/sound rips and whatnot) or source code, it would help community to pick up some momentum.

I started a thread about Free graphics for fan games. How ever not many have published any graphics at all. :(
User avatar
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst
 
Posts: 1915
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:06 pm
Location: KUUSANKOSKI, Finland

Postby Daren » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:29 pm

salviati wrote:So only the stuff we don't really work on should we share? Because what, we're all selfish, vindictive bastards crawling on earth? C'mon, there is a whole community of free software ---and I'm not giving you a philosophical argument here, it is real. And there are people who think people should share more than crap.


Hey wait a sec now. You need to get my point here. I've been making chipsets, charsets, battle animation, etc for the last year or so, I've worked very hard and gave this very long hours (Over 400 of them and counting) to these graphics. I passed up lots of occasions to do other stuff with friends and family because I'm dedicated on making a fresh and original game. I get your point that we need to share things to help out other game makers but do you really expect me to just give away all of this just to make someone else happy? No, sorry, I wouldn't mind starting a tile and showing someone how to create something out of it, but just giving away all of the hard work I've put into this is unacceptable to me.
When I started my project, I did what everyone does, I went from site to site and took graphics here and there while trying to keep it in the same style to what I was producing but after a while, I wanted something else, something different so I took it upon myself to do this. At first I was really bad at making graphics but you slowly learn how to make them better with practice and when you are willing to work for your vision, I still think I can do much better and I know I will by the time this project is done.

Do you get what I'm hinting at here? It's not that I'm not going to share anything, it's that I want my game to be original in all aspect and that I just don't see why I would just give everything I've done and the time I spent on it to someone that doesn't want to work for it.

Now, if you want advise on graphic creation, I can help you no problem and I'll welcome the challenge of teaching someone the "how to do" of it all.

salviati wrote:I believe (or hope, pick one) that's not the motive for people not sharing. I know some people think what they do isn't worth sharing, or too lazy to clean up for publishing.


Well it's not my case, I love what I'm doing believe me, it might not be perfect to someone else, but it is for my vision.

salviati wrote:So anyway, I'm still keeping my point :)


You can keep your point all you want salviati and I understand your frustration but try to understand mine please.

Zucca wrote:I started a thread about Free graphics for fan games. How ever not many have published any graphics at all. :(


Yeah what ever happened with that tread? I remember I shared the PS2 World Map rip I did.
User avatar
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:51 am
Location: Montreal

Postby salviati » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:03 pm

Okay, I see your point (although, I was trying to write something general, not something specifically pointed towards you). So you're not selfish, but you don't feel like sharing either because you want your game look unique. But that's no different than the guy who's not willing to go through the hassle of compiling his stuff ---not for a community.

Well, my point, in a sense, is that good things may happen when you share it too. And what if there's a chance that it turns out be even better than one unique looking game, for a community. It was great, for instance, that Linus Torvalds didn't want his kernel look unique.
I put on my robe and wizard hat.
User avatar
salviati
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:15 pm

Postby Daren » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:56 pm

salviati wrote:Okay, I see your point (although, I was trying to write something general, not something specifically pointed towards you). So you're not selfish, but you don't feel like sharing either because you want your game look unique. But that's no different than the guy who's not willing to go through the hassle of compiling his stuff ---not for a community.


How would that be not be different? The guy who doesn't want to compile his stiff only wants everything to there for him where I work to make things different, or did I completely not understand your point?
(I'm French BTW, English is my second language ;) )

salviati wrote:Well, my point, in a sense, is that good things may happen when you share it too. And what if there's a chance that it turns out be even better than one unique looking game, for a community. It was great, for instance, that Linus Torvalds didn't want his kernel look unique.


You're right on this point though and I do have someone helping me with my game and he is more then welcomed on using any of the graphics I design. So yeah, I agree with you here.
User avatar
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:51 am
Location: Montreal

Postby Edge » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:19 am

This needs a new thread... I see both people's sides on this argument, however, I'm going to have to agree with Daren... Daren is making his game in RM2K, which means there is one definite problem in his future... If he doesn't allow people to use his graphics, people will steal them, straight out of the chipset folder when his game is released... This means what?

Daren doesn't want to share his hard work UNTIL his game is released, and is known as the first game using his hard work... I know Daren on a little bit more of a personal level, and this guy dedicates his entire life around the work he does. I don't find him being selfish or greedy by any means... Perhaps if people weren't so damn lazy, they could learn a thing or two off of him... Instead of spending your energy mad at him, and upset with him for not sharing your dream, why don't you try spending some of that energy ripping tiles, and sprites from Phantasy Star games... Ripping doesn't take ANY talent, and with the sprites ripped, and handy, you will soon see people editing those rips, and releasing a lot of new fan made tiles, sprites, monsters, etc....

I guess in short, all I'm trying to say is, if you have a belief, or a dream of some sort, make it happen yourself, don't complain that other people aren't following... In order to get followers, you need to be a leader, and a leader needs leadership, and this means taking the initiative to get things done yourself, as opposed to complaining to others for not sharing their resources... Do you follow?
I've traveled back in time... 300 years... Just to call you a "Cracker"!
User avatar
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius
 
Posts: 391
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:59 am
Location: Quincy, IL

Postby salviati » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:46 pm

Daren wrote:How would that be not be different? The guy who doesn't want to compile his stiff only wants everything to there for him where I work to make things different, or did I completely not understand your point?
(I'm French BTW, English is my second language ;) )

Well, sort of :) The "---not for a community" part was supposed to emphasize that "it's the same thing when we consider things from the perspective of a fan-game developing community's benefit"

@Edge

Yup, I alredy said I see his point, that's okay.
Though the "not sharing only until the game is released" is kinda new for me. If that is the case, then there's nothing to discuss.

Edge wrote:I guess in short, all I'm trying to say is, if you have a belief, or a dream of some sort, make it happen yourself, don't complain that other people aren't following... In order to get followers, you need to be a leader, and a leader needs leadership, and this means taking the initiative to get things done yourself, as opposed to complaining to others for not sharing their resources... Do you follow?


We don't really need make this about me either... But okay. I do follow, lol :)
Hey, I'm a free software developer. I do publish stuff I write, and send patches & fixes to other projects. And if I ever write a PS fan-game, I'd publish it's source code as well. I publish only the code, because that's the only thing I can do. Graphics, sounds, these I can't. But there are people who can. And being a part of free software community for a long time, I experienced that sharing is more likely to be for the benefit of a community. I wanted to say that this community may benefit from sharing too. There's no need for a leader or a call to arms banner for people to see this fact.

If you persistently need a leader figure, there is Richard Stallman. You can read philosophy section in gnu.org, find his speeches in youtube.
I put on my robe and wizard hat.
User avatar
salviati
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:15 pm

Previous

Return to Fan stuff

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron