Phantasy Star Generation:1 English translation project

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Re: Phantasy Star Generation:1 English translation project

Postby xrick » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:00 pm

May be so... But my point was that I ended up only finding that inside the .raw files I checked, none of them were the character sprites you can find in the dungeons...
Because that's what I was truly looking for...
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:09 pm

Which character sprites ? You have screenshots ?
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xrick » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:22 pm

Ah... These ones? http://www.gazetadealgol.com.br/diversos/sprites/psg1_d3tex
I was trying to find if there were more of these, since the files being on 012 and skip 014 to 018...
I was hopeful the missing sixteen supposed files had potential artwork in them... :?
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:45 pm

If they had, gazetadealgol would have listed them, don't you think?

Your only hope is that they use a strange format that neither CUE nor RodolfoRG would have figured out (which would explain why gazetadealgol don't list them), but in that case it's likely you won't be able too.

And to be honest, I'd be surprised (but I mainly focused on PSg2, so I may have missed some things).
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xrick » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:49 pm

But there can still be hope... Don't you think?

Could you explain me how did you do it? To see if I could try to replicate it myself.
I know you kind of did so a few posts back but, if possible, a more detailed explanation...

And... I'm sorry if it seems I'm being too bothersome, ok? I'm just trying not to give up...
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:02 am

xrick wrote:But there can still be hope... Don't you think?

No, I don't think.

Could you explain me how did you do it? To see if I could try to replicate it myself.
I know you kind of did so a few posts back but, if possible, a more detailed explanation...

No neither : figuring out a non-obvious specification (because then again, if it was an obvious one, it'd have been done) of a file you have no idea of what kind of data it contains is really difficult, and time-consuming. There's no method, you try everythinig you know. The more things you know about file specifications, the more chance you have to succeed. I can't explain you all what I know about file specifications because :

1) 99,9999 % wouldn't be relevant, and I don't know which 0,0001 % would be
2) I don't even know if there's 0,0001 %
3) it'd take me much more time than doing it by myself, and I have not this time

And... I'm sorry if it seems I'm being too bothersome, ok? I'm just trying not to give up...

I'm sorry if I sound rude, but you should really use your time on something else. If you really want, go to romhacking.net board or xentax board.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xrick » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:11 am

Well, I tried asking about this in a couple other places but so far no answers, so I guess this topic will really fall again into oblivion... Sadly... :cry:
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby SandyLandale » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:13 am

I'll start having more time to test again starting tomorrow. I don't know if end of October is a viable release date anymore though, I need some personal time. I hope you all understand. It will still be out this year, though.

Edit 1 -

SandyLandale wrote:Thank you for your patience.

Events left to check:

1. Getting to the Wise Dragon - COMPLETE!!!
2. Getting the Iron Claw - COMPLETE!!!
3. Buying some gas masks - COMPLETE!!!
4. Finding the Shield of Perseus - COMPLETE!!!
5. Meeting Master Tajim - COMPLETE!!!
6. Fighting Medusa
7. Ascending Abion Tower
8. Visiting Aukbar
9. Raiding Guaron Morgue
10. Going to the Ice Cave
11. Getting the Eclipse Torch
12. Scaling Baya Malay
13. Events at the Air Castle
14. Talking to every person in the world after La Shiec is dead
15. Getting to Dark Falz

...And then comes the beta test once the alpha test is done.

Edit 2 - We're approaching the endgame here, folks! (Just crossed off meeting Tajim from the list.) I'd say I have another 5 to 7 hours left, and then it's all over. :dance: Then I get to do the beta test, which I am probably going to end up doing myself, since--regardless of how good the update is--I don't think people will be too excited about an update of a game they already got to play in English two years ago now.

I decided that now is a good time to show off Tryphon's beautiful handiwork. He redid the menu graphics totally from scratch, even though I was prepared to stay with Kyence's.

Aren't they absolutely gorgeous? Be sure to thank him for going the extra mile, especially with his busy schedule. :)
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Missagh » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:39 am

I'll start having more time to test again starting tomorrow. I don't know if end of October is a viable release date anymore though, I need some personal time. I hope you all understand. It will still be out this year, though.

Take the time you need and don't set a deadline. It doesn't matter if it takes 1 year or longer :)
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby xrick » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:46 am

It sure is looking great, keep it up :D
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Novyal » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:44 pm

SandyLandale wrote:Aren't they absolutely gorgeous? Be sure to thank him for going the extra mile, especially with his busy schedule.

Sorry, SandyLandale & Tryphon, but the menu "Status, Item, Magic, Consult, System" option graphics look bad :(

The font is too slim and the blue outline becomes too prominent, making it hard to read.

Everything else looks good, though! ;)

My suggestion would be to make the font for those menu options "bold", that way it will make it easier to read since the blue border will just be a stylish outline, I'd also reduce the overall size of the words a bit so there's more background space around them (like in the Japanese version), as it is now it's too close to the extremities.
You my also put the font in "italic" since the original Japanese words also seem to be in "italic" in the menu.

xrick wrote:Well, I tried asking about this in a couple other places but so far no answers, so I guess this topic will really fall again into oblivion... Sadly...

xrick, keep in mind that "Generations I" has been thoroughly hacked by the fans for more than 10 years, I'm almost sure that everything that can be found was already found.

Sometimes developers do leave unused stuff (files, artwork, enemies, etc) in their games, but ask yourself where in Generations I could they have used full body artwork for the characters? If they had no need for it, chances are they didn't do it and doesn't exist, even in an unused format.

I personally prefer the original Phantasy Star artwork to the Generation I artwork...
My digital art website: http://digiartdigi.wix.com/artedigital
Novyal
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby xrick » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:28 pm

For more than 10 years? Are you serious? It wasn't until the translation projects had begun that extraction hacking became more prominent and somehow successful.
And, given that in PSg:1 the sprite pieces of Dark Falz and Gold Drake available are incomplete (I had to use Texmod to get what was missing), shows that there may be stuff yet to be unraveled.
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:10 pm

Sorry, SandyLandale & Tryphon, but the menu "Status, Item, Magic, Consult, System" option graphics look bad

The font is too slim and the blue outline becomes too prominent, making it hard to read.

My suggestion would be to make the font for those menu options "bold", that way it will make it easier to read since the blue border will just be a stylish outline, I'd also reduce the overall size of the words a bit so there's more background space around them (like in the Japanese version), as it is now it's too close to the extremities.
You my also put the font in "italic" since the original Japanese words also seem to be in "italic" in the menu.

The font is DejaVu Sans Condensed Bold Italic, so it's already bold and italic
And the chars are exactly the same width than japanese ones. I thought about make them smaller. I can give it a try.

I agree it isn't perfect. The border effect bothers the most.

xrick wrote:For more than 10 years? Are you serious? It wasn't until the translation projects had begun that extraction hacking became more prominent and somehow successful.

No, that's the contrary. Translation couldn't start before compression was cracked. I'd say CUE cracked it around 2010, maybe a little before. And I started working on it around June 2012 IIRC.

And, given that in PSg:1 the sprite pieces of Dark Falz and Gold Drake available are incomplete (I had to use Texmod to get what was missing), shows that there may be stuff yet to be unraveled.

Show me what pieces were missing in Dark Falz and Gold Drake...
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:06 pm

Blaw- wrote:The ones I have posted are untouched (not converted to PNG).

PNG is lossless, so how are the untouched versions any better?
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Tryphon » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:20 pm

He may refer to the fact that original graphics are 256 colors, whereas PNG posted are 24 bpp.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff