Phantasy Star Generation:1 English translation project

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Re: Phantasy Star Generation:1 English translation project

Postby pelvicthrustman » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:16 am

Sorry to double post - first bug I'm seeing on real hardware - downward direction main character sprite (only when facing downward) gets corrupted - the corruption even 'animates' as you walk - happens directly after a battle - persists until the save is reloaded

Sprite.png
Sprite.png (100.72 KiB) Viewed 24118 times
pelvicthrustman
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby SandyLandale » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:26 am

We're aware of this. Thank you for reporting this though. :) We're currently waiting on Tryphon to get the time to look into what's causing this, and it will be fixed in v2.20. We also would need people to test v2.20 on real hardware because I'm unable to, so if you're going to do that for us, that would be phenomenal.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby pelvicthrustman » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:17 pm

SandyLandale wrote:We're aware of this. Thank you for reporting this though. We're currently waiting on Tryphon to get the time to look into what's causing this, and it will be fixed in v2.20. We also would need people to test v2.20 on real hardware because I'm unable to, so if you're going to do that for us, that would be phenomenal.

Sounds like a plan to me - I would love to test any new version on hardware.

Is there a list of known real hardware bugs I can refer to so I don't post redundant bugs in the future? (I apologize in advance if I missed it)

Also, I have a solid background in PS2 hacking (I have quite a few releases on psx-scene), primarily in MIPS assembly hacks, if there's anything you'd like help on with respect to the game's actual code I'd be willing to at least take a look.
pelvicthrustman
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby SandyLandale » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:44 am

I think the sprite corruption is the only known glitch. If you spot any typos or grammar issues, feel free to let me know. If you have the time and want to look into what might be causing this sprite corruption for Tryphon when he gets back, that would be lovely. He doesn't have a way of testing the translation on real hardware either. I know this is probably a lame prize, but I do promise you a spot in the in-game credits if you help out.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby pelvicthrustman » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:41 am

As far as fixing the sprite glitch I wouldn't really know a good starting point without understanding more about the project technically - I'm not sure how extensively the game has been modified in code -- if most of the changes are in data (text tables, data structures, etc) rather than code then more than likely the problem would in a bad address or offset somewhere there - the first thing that comes to mind is data misalignment - which will screw up the hardware but not necessarily the emulator, that could literally mean its an off-by-one error, in which case it would be much easier to fix for whoever originally created the glitch (they'd know where to look at least).

What I can do though is make some RAM dumps from the PS2 over the Ethernet port using ps2rd. I can compare those RAM dumps with emulator save state RAM files at approximately complimentary times like right after the first battle) - try and filter out the regularly changing regions and attempt to isolate the difference between the emulator and hardware behaviors. I'd have to get very lucky to actually find the problem but at least that way I can generate some data for Tryphon to analyze and compare with with when attempting to fix the problem since he doesn't have access to real hardware.

And that's not a lame prize at all!
pelvicthrustman
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby SandyLandale » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:50 pm

Alrighty. Thank you so, so, so much! :D Take your time as we're still waiting on Tryphon to get the time to look into these issues.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby UniqueUserName » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:50 am

@pelvicthrustman
Nice work with PS2-Bluetooth and PS2rdmod over at the Scene !!

@all
As to the current issue being discussed...
I dont know if this will help you in your glitch debugging, but when I beta tested it on orignal hardware, I got slightly different results than are displayed in your image (which may give you another direction to look into as to the cause)...

Gen 1 English Translation showed bits and pieces (half/quarter images) of the characters "IN-BATTLE graphics", while "outside of battle", when the characters were walking on the map screen...
Not the fuzzy/static that you seem to be getting on your end.
Its like they didnt switch properly to their map-images, from their battle-images.
To get around the first battle glitch I restarted, and simply walked south before heading back NE on the map (to get to the port town), and when I entered/exited the first several battles there was no glitch...
20, or so, battles later it re-appeared, but after one or two battles it went away on its own while exiting the battle screen (and I never had to restart again)...
After that it re-appeared randomly at 20+ battle intervals (I didnt count the exact number but now Im thinking I should have lol).
Also, it doesnt seem to affect gameplay at all, and is really only graphical in nature.

Things of Note:
SCPH-50001
Internal HDD
OPL
Original Japanese ISO
(ONLY any altered-from-original-files =from this Sites image= were changed/copied/replaced directly over the original-files using UltraISO)

I had not tested Gen 1 with the 30001 model, like I did with Gen 2 during beta testing...
However, I recall there being a much greater compatibility, with something like a 99% decrease in glitching, when switching to the 50k model in Gen 2.

I hope some of this feedback helps your cause... because it is definitely worthy of support.

@SandyLandale
Keep up the great work vivify !!
We all look forward to seeing new posts from you whenever we log in.
Dont ever think nobody is noticing how dedicated you are or how hard you work.
The site wouldnt be the same without you... Well done.
(+[__]·:·) _____ [==_═══:]
_ P S P _________ P S 2 _
UniqueUserName
Locusta
Locusta

Postby darkwraith007 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:43 am

Just a quick post to thank all those working on this. On a slightly unrelated but similar 'hacking' note. I was hacking away at Chrono Trigger using Temporal Flux (a fantastic WYSIWYG editor for just about everything). Digging through the coding and layout for the 'racing' minigame was a pain in the ass.

Now I think of people that have to try to do this WITHOUT such tools. It is madness! O_O
One of the reasons I love the romhacking community is when tools are released publically to allow others to make modifications easier and to improve upon the original or even upon other mods themselves (a mod of a mod, if you will).

I came across a bug in the original game where there was not enough 'space' within the existing data to properly fix a bug so I ended up just bypassing the buggy part by changing a single Goto part. Only problem is that doing so makes the 2300+ point racing prize skip an animation and a text box telling the prize won. I worked around the text part by just putting it in the same text box as the NPC Dialogue.

It works but I'm still not entirely happy with having to fiddle around with it instead of properly doing things. Especially on older consoles and even stuff like the PS2, one has to be very acutely aware of where existing data is compared to free data space. It is way way WAY too easy to mess up on pointers and I do my best in my own projects to keep stuff sequentially-ordered. But when expanding things around an existing framework it is very difficult to do that.

My rough guess based on the existing item crash bug will be that it may end up being a pointer issue that is overwriting/corrupting some existing game data. Working with an SNES on one tiny section of the game took me over 2 hours to figure out what to do and how to do it safely without causing a crash. The amount of time needed for a PS2 game must be a nightmare!

I hope to keep working on my Python skills so that I can start making and releasing graphical modding tools for games. Might include Phantasy Star in the mix maybe. There is just so little work done after the 16-bit era that it is like a huge void in knowledge and tools. I mean if you want NES, SNES, even Genesis then you have pretty good tools and documents on how to work with them. But anything beyond that is just a clustered mess.

So I type all this with the understanding to the Phantasy Star modding team that if someone says they have PlayStation 2 hacking experience then do feel free to take em up on the offer. Especially when working with code it doesn't hurt to have more than one pair of eyes on a project.
darkwraith007
Locusta
Locusta

Postby BenoitRen » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:24 am

ROM hackers don't have to work within the existing framework anymore. They can disassemble the games and then recompile them. It's still a lot of work to figure out what part of the code does what, though.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby PegOrg » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:45 pm

Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. Played through an early version of
this translation and want to do another play through with the new updates, but I
heard that there is a new version in the works. I've been waiting and checking
regularly, but haven't seen any updates in quite a while. Now, I fully believe in the
modder taking as much time as is needed and doing a job they can be proud of
without having to release a bunch of extra patches to fix mistakes due to
rushing. I do hope, though, that we could get an update on the progression of
both this game, and gen 2. Well, I wish the modders good luck and great health
and can't wait to see the eventual fruits of your labours! :dance:
PegOrg
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby SandyLandale » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:51 am

I never heard anything from Tryphon yet. I can't do anything without him, he's the hacker. I'm so sorry. If you wanna play this on emulator, both games will be fully playable, just, not on real systems yet.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby StLRetroVideoGamer » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:56 pm

I've come across some typos/syntax errors in 2.10.

1) When you meet Lutz, Alisa calls him Miseries Lutz Is A Lannie instead of Miseries Lutz Isa Lanai (as stated by both the Motavian Governor and Lutz himself)....... Unless she is intentionally making fun of his name because of his rudeness?

2) In Gothic Prison when you encounter the RobotCop, it says "Guards must present their present their prison key."

Also, I think Dex instead of Dext in the attributes looks better. Probably a personal preference on my part.... but then again.
StLRetroVideoGamer
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby SandyLandale » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:39 am

Myau forgot Lutz's name, that's the joke. In Kyence's old translation, Myau called Lutz "Mizz... er... Lutz?" and people thought Myau was calling him "Ms. Lutz," so I tried to keep that joke while reinventing it. And thank you for the present their x2 typo, I believe I've fixed it up already but I really do appreciate any and all typo reports. I'd rather see multiple reports of the same typo than no one report at all, if that makes sense. :) I hope you're enjoying the translation!
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby UniqueUserName » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:54 pm

Agreed Sandy... It makes perfect sense.

The joke was well received on my end... Nicely done!
(+[__]·:·) _____ [==_═══:]
_ P S P _________ P S 2 _
UniqueUserName
Locusta
Locusta

Postby zelion » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:06 am

Yeah I've also been getting the same rendering issue on actual hardware. I'm more than willing to test patches, as I'm already playing through the game :P
zelion
Pinchant
Pinchant

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff