Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

How should the main characters be named in Generation:2 ?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:51 am

Use the full Japanese names
38%
Use the English Sega Genesis names
55%
It doesn't matter
7%

Total votes : 73

Re: Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation

Postby skymandr » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:28 pm

I think "Sa Riek" is probbly the best option voiced so far. Double "ii" looks strange and "Reek" is a little offensive. :)
skymandr
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:30 am

Ok, I'll leave the choice to Tryphon anyway (it's planned that he'll read/edit the translation once it's done, and I already gave him the right to modify everything he wants in the translation).

In french, even "Reek" wouldn't be a problem though, as it mean nothing for us (it only mean something in english) :mrgreen:

By the way, I just finished the dialog file about Nei-First in french (as well as the dialog files for the four dams, but it's the same dialog in four different files, except the color of the dam in the texts) :D
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:53 pm

I think Sa Riik is an anagram of La Shiec. Maybe something to keep in mind? ;)
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Blaw- » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:39 am

I just found a new bug in the hack.

When you check one of the three tree at the top of the map of Uzo's island, the game freeze (same type of freeze we had earlier with the SLPM texts). I tested near every tree there (included the two others trees at the top of the map) and it seems to be the only one which freeze the game (the one in the top-left corner of the map).

Tryphon, it's your turn to work :D

Note : I had some problems to find how to unlock the next event (all the trees on Uzo's Island were described as fake). You have to talk to three precise people in Piata to unlock it. As for the four previous events I had a problem with, I written the explanation somewhere and will translate them in english/share them at the end of the translation (to avoid some similar problems I saw on PSGEN1 translation's thread)
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Zio51 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:41 pm

BenoitRen wrote:I think Sa Riik is an anagram of La Shiec. Maybe something to keep in mind?.

Actually I did not realise this but Benoit points out something very interesting and it seems to be coherent with the char background info Blaw himself had found on http://freett.com/naknak/game/ps/yougo/o.html
It clearly says:
ラシークの子孫 Rashiik (Lashiec) no shison. So that would most points to him being Lashiec descendant if we believe the info on that url right. But it sure coincide well with the storyline.

I presume, the name change might just be a consequence of PS1 event as to push off the unpopularity associated to his ancestors name. That'd make sense from a certain point of view, also I don't know on top of my head how many years seperate PS1 from PS2 but the name variation could have spanned over several generations.

Anyway this being that, then the more logical transcription might be something like: "Sha-Riec" with a soft sounding "sh" in mind. That would be the first sound of each syllable of Lashiec being inverted. Well just a thought.

Blaw wrote:Note : I had some problems to find how to unlock the next event (all the trees on Uzo's Island were described as fake). You have to talk to three precise people in Piata to unlock it.

I have been so lucky on my first playthrough then. I walked up in Uzo island and found the tree right away and got the leaf, actually it's funny because I remember on the Megadrive I could never reach the right tree on the first attempt and on PSG1 I got to it quite easily without even using a map.

Did they change the "map" of Uzo in PSG2?
Anyway I think usually the conversation menu where you char speak together usually tells you when you're ok to go to certain places so if it doesn't mention it usually you know you're missing a talk with some char.

Personally, I have been locked in PSG2 less than in PSG1.
Zio51
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Blaw- » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:12 am

Yes for the anagram.

The website give "Lashiec" for "ラシーク", so an anagram would give "Shaliec" ? (even if, in fact, it would be "Saliec", if you want to keep the anagram, you have to put the "h" back in the name). Or "Sha Liec", depending if you write the other name "La Shiec".

Zio51 wrote:I have been so lucky on my first playthrough then. I walked up in Uzo island and found the tree right away and got the leaf, actually it's funny because I remember on the Megadrive I could never reach the right tree on the first attempt and on PSG1 I got to it quite easily without even using a map.

They probably changed it a bit, but overall, the look is the same. The problem wasn't to find the good tree, it's the top-center one, easy to find.

The problem was that, even if you find the good tree; if you didn't unlocked the event in Piata, you can't continue the game, the party keep saying the tree isn't the good one (the character in Piata says to them how to recognize it).

So once I found the characters who unlock the event, I did several tests to only find the required ones.

For now, I'm at the half of the game and only found 5 events which needed a bit of search. It won't be a problem anyway as once the game will be translated, they will be a complete list with the events which can be problematic.

And Tryphon seems to have found the bug, again it seems to be a pointer bug like in Roron where one Motavian dialogue wouldn't work before it got fixed. It'll be confirmed tomorrow.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby skymandr » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:09 am

The "h" in Ra-Shiec only enters in English, in Japanese the "proper" anagram is definitely Sa-Riec (or Sa-Liec, to be consistent), not Sha-Riec.
skymandr
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:35 pm

To get a real anagram, I think you have to use all the same letters (L a s h i e c) so you have to use the "l" somewhere (as well as the "h", if the version used for the other word is "Lashiec").
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby skymandr » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:59 pm

I disagree there, at least in this context. A real anagram, true to the original Japanese, would use L (or R), A, S (or SH), II (or IE) and K (or C). There are several options for localisation of the anagram, but definitely not H as a separate character, and E is not a separate character either. The H is mandatory in SH if, and only if, the double I follows S, and the E is only there to state that the I is long.

The bottom line for me is, that I don't think that Sha in Sha Riec is not to any considerable degree any more or less right than Sa Riec, and that claiming that it has to be Sh because it is sh in La Shiec has no foundation supporting it. Sa is maybe a little more logical to me -- closer to the Japanese -- but most importantly I think it looks better. =)
skymandr
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:27 pm

The problem is that japanese don't use letters but syllabs, so it have to be modified.

RA SHI (longer i) KU

SA RI (longer i) KU

I'm okay with you when you say the second name don't need any "h" in it, but my point when I'm talking about an anagram faithul to the original, I, of course, talk about the "english" version, not the japanese syllabes, so, for me, the "h" would depend how "Las(h)iec" is spelled".

If I write "Lashiec", I would put "Shaliec".

If i write "Lasiec", I would put "Saliec".

That's what I meant.

By the way, the bug wasn't what Tryphon so we still have one bug in the hack which freeze the game (though it's not that bad for now, as it don't prevent to play the game, the bug occurs when you inspect one of the false Maruera Tree, the one in the top-left corner of the map).

But, of course, we hope to find what produce the bug and fix it (that's really a shame that there isn't, at least, one PS2 emu with a functionnal debugger).
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby treepop » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:32 pm

Probably a stupid question, but why doesn't someone just play ps2 on the sega genesis and use that dialog?
treepop
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby Blaw- » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:52 pm

I don't understand what you mean?

The problem is not the dialog translation (it's already translated), the problem is that the game crash before the dialog window appear.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Zio51 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:40 pm

skymandr wrote:I disagree there, at least in this context. A real anagram, true to the original Japanese, would use L (or R), A, S (or SH), II (or IE) and K (or C). There are several options for localisation of the anagram, but definitely not H as a separate character, and E is not a separate character either. The H is mandatory in SH if, and only if, the double I follows S, and the E is only there to state that the I is long.The bottom line for me is, that I don't think that Sha in Sha Riec is not to any considerable degree any more or less right than Sa Riec, and that claiming that it has to be Sh because it is sh in La Shiec has no foundation supporting it. Sa is maybe a little more logical to me -- closer to the Japanese -- but most importantly I think it looks better. =)

I understand what you come at with this, but the way I personally see this is that anagram doesn't exist in Japanese in the sense of how it defined in our languages.
That's for the reason that Blaw mentioned; Japanese is based on syllabs. So it is arguable whether Hiragana, Katakana or kanji to that effect can be considered as letter.

skymandr wrote:The "h" in Ra-Shiec only enters in English, in Japanese the "proper" anagram is definitely Sa-Riec (or Sa-Liec, to be consistent), not Sha-Riec.

Though even if we consider Japanese syllabs similar as to letters in our alphabet, then Sa-riec isn't an anagram either (since "sha" syllable is not written the same as "shi" syllable, similar for ra/ri).
A true anagram could only be something like Shii-raku in that case.

Anyway I think all we meant was to say it's like the equivalent of anagram but with sounds or something along those lines.
Zio51
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby skymandr » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:18 pm

Zio51 wrote:
skymandr wrote:Anyway I think all we meant was to say it's like the equivalent of anagram but with sounds or something along those lines.

Yeah, I think we all more or less agree. There's no conflict here, and even if there were its not really one of any merit... ;) I think you are right in your observation of La Shiik/Sa Riik being some kind of word-play, whatever it is called.

(Actually, I would still calI it an anagram (extended anagram..? :geek: ). I think its unfair to to reuqire that Japanese anagrams be restricted to just their syllabary; it seems a very artificial kind of restriction to this kind of word-play... )
skymandr
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:10 am

Okay, the bug is not that bad, with the japanese texts, the crash is not longer here.

So it shouldn't be a big problem, probably a pointer or something.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff