Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

How should the main characters be named in Generation:2 ?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:51 am

Use the full Japanese names
38%
Use the English Sega Genesis names
55%
It doesn't matter
7%

Total votes : 73

Re: Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation

Postby BenoitRen » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:31 pm

There are two types of compression: lossy and lossless. Lossy compression sacrifices quality for better compression, while lossless compression doesn't. JPEG is lossy, while GIF and PNG aren't.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Tryphon » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:27 pm

GIF is lossy in the sense it reduces palette to 256 colors. For 256 colors images, there"s no differences between compressed images and original.

PNG is basically Lempel-Ziv (IIRC) for 32 bits images. It's indeed lossless.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:46 pm

BenoitRen wrote:There are two types of compression: lossy and lossless. Lossy compression sacrifices quality for better compression, while lossless compression doesn't. JPEG is lossy, while GIF and PNG aren't.

I knew that (the two type of compressions, I talked about it by quoting it about WinRar one) but I read somewhere PGN wasn't loseless, so it was a shitty page.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:54 am

Two new weird names :

// text, start = 21a2, size = 95
[blue]ガブリエル[white]
イクリプストーチの教えはデゾリス星から伝わったの。
その昔,デゾリアンの僧侶たちによって
アルチプラノ高原で行われた儀式は特に有名ね。

If you search the first (IKURIPUSU TOOCHI) one on google, it seems to give the name of an item of "Phantasy Star 1" (Eclipse Torch). Does someone have any more informations about it?

Because it would translate weirdly if it's really an item name, as "の教え" means "teachings/precepts/lesson" so it would require the name of a person before it, not the name of an item o_O

The other one (ARUCHIPURANO) seems to be the name of a place, as "高原" means "tableland/plateau".

Edit : The second one seems to be Altiplano : http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/アルティプラーノ / http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altiplano

But I don't think we can just use the world "Altiplano", as it's point to a region that is not really in the game. Would the best idea just to keep the original meaning , "high plain"? (so, "haut plateau" in french).
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby skymandr » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:38 pm

The Eclipse Torch is a holy item in PSIV, so I think it isn't strange at all to say "the teachings of the Eclipse Torch". Well, religion is strange to me, but it seems logical within the internal logic of religion to refer to "the precepts of the [insert symbol of worship]".

As for the second, I think it seems best to do as you say, and just call it "the high plains".
skymandr
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:29 pm

But what an item like a torch could teach you? o_O

Except if this item give you some new techniques/items? (can you give more details about it's effect in PS4? And another thing I'm wondering, so it's also an item of PSGEN2?)

It seems a bit weird for me.

Edit :
Raja who is a priest of the Gumbious Temple that worships the Eclipse Torch as a holy symbol.

Okay, now I understand a bit more, it's more a relic than a mere item that you gain in the game and that you can use.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Zio51 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:24 pm

Blaw- wrote:The other one (ARUCHIPURANO) seems to be the name of a place, as "高原" means "tableland/plateau".Edit : The second one seems to be Altiplano : http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/アルティプラーノ / http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altiplano

If my memory serves me right, I know that in Phantasy Star 1 you do go to the Altiplano Plateau as part of your quest. It is the name that I think Kyence used in her translation of PS Generation 1.
Also on several walkthrough I looked at on internet they also use Altiplano plateau, so it seems to be largely accepted to be the right naming convention.

Also agree about the Eclipse Torch comment as it being the symbol of the faith itself (it is similar to the Saint Graal in a way). Even in PS G1 as far as I remember the Dezolian actually revere the Eclipse Torch itself.
Zio51
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Blaw- » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:04 pm

Found two new names required in Piata's Town (the last town of Motavia's planet), in a Motavian dialogue.

その若きリーダーであるオハリオ・サ・リークとアイナ・ル・シールは,

Those young leaders, "OHARIO SA RIIKU" (オハリオ・サ・リーク) and "AINA RU SHIIRU" (アイナ・ル・シール).

From the dialog, it seems to be two persons who are leading an underground organization "Anti-Mother Brain".
Last edited by Blaw- on Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:07 am

Those are Ohario Sa Riik and Aina Le Cille, the ancestors of Orakio Sa Riik and Laya Le Cille.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Blaw- » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:24 am

Do you have any sources for more informations about those characters?

Because, for example, I found that link : http://freett.com/naknak/game/ps/yougo/o.html

Which give that :

オハリオ・サ・リーク(III)
Ohario Sa Reek
種別:人名(パルマ人)
ラシークの子孫。反マザーブレイン地下組織のリーダー。

アイナ・ル・シール(III)
Aina Le Cille
種別:人名(パルマ人)
ラシークの子孫。反マザーブレイン地下組織に所属するエスパー。
AW1284年にオハリオと共にダークファルスに戦いを挑むが破れ、惑星パルマ爆発直前に退避宇宙船で人々を脱出させる。
アリサ3世に乗船し、シール国の祖となる。
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:37 am

There are references on the PS compendium.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:20 pm

I mean, sources for the transcription of the names ^^ (as I found a different version made by a japanese, as you can see).
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby skymandr » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:50 am

"sa Riik" is a more litteral romanisation, but its more or less equivlent in sound to "sa Reek" in English. "sa Riik" is preferable in that case, since "reek" means "stench". No idea which is better in French, but I would guess that Riik is probably closer soundwise, which in my opinion is what matters. :)
skymandr
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Zio51 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:57 pm

As far as I know, I don't think there has been any official French version of any of the Phantasy Star game (excluding the online series).

Therefore Blaw is on a virgin territory as far as transcription into French is concerned.But I suppose it has to be kept in mind that it is very likely that this translation work will find its way mostly to Phantasy star fans and therefore they would most probably be familiar with the English transcription of the names.

So it might actually be relevant as far as names is concerned to follow suit with the English transcriptions rather than try and change it into French.

Well that's my opinion as someone who's aware of the series background so of course I will be on the bandwagon of consistency and stick with English names which I am already familiar with.

Now in terms of French transcriptions itself, there is no "ee" or "ii" in French as far as my vocabulary is concerned so it really depend how strong you want the "i" to feel like.

Could be: Sa Rik or Sa Riek or even Sa Reik or soft pronounced Sha Rik, I think there are infinite possibilites in French since there is no former transcription so it will depends on what Blaw think fit best the background of the character.
Zio51
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Blaw- » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:05 pm

The fact that "ee" or "ii" don't exist in french is not a problem, as it's a foreign name (some japanese names are transcripted with "aa" even though "aa" don't exist in french names).

Well, for now, I left "Sa Reek" as the japanese guy wrote it but it might be modified later (same for some other names).

Right now, I'm translating "Neifirst's dialogues" (a bit more than 50% of the game is translated french).

I don't have news about Kyence english translation but maybe she's actually waiting until I finish mine, as it can probably help her for the translation (she's able to read french).
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff