Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

How should the main characters be named in Generation:2 ?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:51 am

Use the full Japanese names
38%
Use the English Sega Genesis names
55%
It doesn't matter
7%

Total votes : 73

Re: Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation

Postby skymandr » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:32 am

Blaw- wrote:Sentence from Tyler : 我が遊撃艦ランディールへようこそ…
How do you pronounce "Landale" in english ? (if you take the example of how I wrote "RANDIIRU" for example). "RANDA(A)RU" ? "RANDE(E)RU" ?

Landeel is, unfortunately, probably the closest phonetic match to the Japanese. I presume, that since that looks silly in English (could be an interesting enemy though ), they went with Landale, which sounds like an actuall name... I would say that Landale would best be written as RANDE(E)RU (ランデール) in Japanese, that's the closest to the English pronounciation to my ear (though admittedly I have a British bias...).

Tryphon wrote:What's the meaning of the sentence ?

"Welcome aboard my raiding ship/pirate vessel, the Landale..."
Last edited by skymandr on Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skymandr
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Zio51 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:40 pm

skymandr wrote:Landeel is, unfortunately, probably the closest phonetic match to the Japanese.

Because I'm French, I think I'm biased in how I analyse English phonetics but I believe Landale is best as a compromise.
"ディー" should sound more open than "dee".

- Landeel sounds too "ii"-ish to my liking.
- I think in that sense Landell would sound closer but again this time the "e" sound is slightly shorter than what the Japanese phonectis have you to think it should be.

Eventally, going back the loop, I guess I still prefer Landale . True it's sounding a bit such as "hail" (kind) of but I don't think there is any "ei" "ai" long syllable in English like we have them in French so it can't be perfectly matched however long we try.

Guess we need to ask a Japanese developper of the game what they had in mind with the sounding of this one
Zio51
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby skymandr » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:28 pm

Zio51 wrote:
skymandr wrote:Landeel is, unfortunately, probably the closest phonetic match to the Japanese.

Because I'm French, I think I'm biased in how I analyse English phonetics but I believe Landale is best as a compromise.
"ディー" should sound more open than "dee".

- Landeel sounds too "ii"-ish to my liking.
- I think in that sense Landell would sound closer but again this time the "e" sound is slightly shorter than what the Japanese phonectis have you to think it should be..

I'm Swedish, but I don't let that stop me. =)
I don't like Landeel either, but ディー is not supposed to be an 'e' sound, but a long (Japanese) 'i'. It is pronounced close to D(ee) in "the letter D".

(Btw, Landell is a perfectly legit Swedish surname. I would write Landell as ランデル, if reading it as either an English or Swedish name. Don't know enough about French prnounication to have an oppinion there. Landill would be a better match in English (or indeed Swedish).)

Zio51 wrote:Eventally, going back the loop, I guess I still prefer Landale . True it's sounding a bit such as "hail" (kind) of but I don't think there is any "ei" "ai" long syllable in English like we have them in French so it can't be perfectly matched however long we try.

Guess we need to ask a Japanese developper of the game what they had in mind with the sounding of this one

I like Landell, though I prefer Landale. Both dale and dell means "small valley", so Landale/ell could be Land+dale, a sensible surname in English. Landill (or Randil?) could be an option, closer to the original, if one wants to get away from the Anglo-saxon language-imperialism...
skymandr
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:59 pm

@Tryphoon : It's the name of his ship.

If you look at the place you know, you would have seen the file completely translated

Edit : Found that on the web :

ランディール J.landell (http://www.doremigakki.co.jp/kaitori/ka ... _head.html)
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:33 am

I also found a "Randhir" :

ラジャ・ランディール・シン(Raja Randhir Singh)

Source : http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/アジアオリンピック評議会

http://vgmdb.net/album/7010

Seems the tracklist come directly from the booklet (Note seen on the website) : The spelling of track titles matches what is in the booklet. It is unknown whether some of the titles have typos, or if they are all as intended ("Oganic" instead of "Organic," etc.) and the track 30 of the CD 4 is named : "Take off! LANDEEL".

http://en.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/6655877 wrote:http://www.vgmdb.net/db/albums.php?id=7010 Track 30 from CD4] shows the official romanization for ランディール
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby skymandr » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:13 am

I stand corrected! =)

Yes, Landeel is the "official" romanization, but I have little respect for those. They're not always very good, as Kyence delving into the technames has proven.
skymandr
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:16 am

For an example, look at the official romanisations in Phantasy Star Collection's art gallery. Prepare to roll your eyes.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Blaw- » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:29 pm

I never said it has to be followed eyes-closed, that's just one more info.

At the contrary, that's not because several romanisations are "wrong" that all of them are.

As for this one, it looks pretty faithful to how the japanese is written : RANDIIRU => LANDEEL (Landeel is pronounce Landi(i)l, right ? Like "Deep" is prounounced like "Di(i)p" if I'm right)

About the techniques, don't forget they were limited to a fixed number of letters because of the game, so even if the best will, no one would have been able to put faithful romanisations of them with the limitations.

If I have the chance to see it soon (didn't had the chance to talk to her since a while), I'll ask a japanese friend how she would read that name and how it would write each one (Landale, Landeel, Landel).
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby skymandr » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:32 pm

Yeah, Landeel is a very good phonetic match, the best of the proposed I would say (Randhir being a very nice alternative, perhaps as good, though perhaps a bit to controversial!), but it still sounds very silly in English... ;)

And I don't berate the localisation team for their choices. I'm sure their main aim was to pick cool sounding names, which was probably a key component in the orignal Japanese as well. That's perfectly ok with me, but now we have a chance to make something better, for the Phans! =)
skymandr
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:26 pm

I think Kyence will probably use Landale anyway, as it's probably whe she used for PSGEN1.

For now, personally, in french, I'm still thinking but I might use Landeel, now that I know it exist :

ランディール J.landell (http://www.doremigakki.co.jp/kaitori/ka ... _head.html)
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:08 am

Did someone look into the english Genesis version ? I don't remember Tyler's spacecraft was called Landale...
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:40 am

The English Mega Drive version did not name the ship. The ship was named in Phantasy Star IV.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Blaw- » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:22 am

Is there a specific reason why Dezolians use "ズラ" (zura) at the end of near each sentence or is it just something like "degozaru" or even "dattebayo"?

Because I don't really see how this thing could be localized, except by ignoring it.*

Edit : Seems some other ones use "ダス" (dasu).
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Zio51 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:51 pm

Blaw- wrote:Is there a specific reason why Dezolians use "ズラ" (zura) at the end of near each sentence or is it just something like "degozaru" or even "dattebayo"?

Hello Blaw,

It is not uncommon in Japanese entertainment media to do this. From what I know: in the case of "degozaru", it basically means "desu". It's like an old way of saying it that characterizes usually a frange of society (usually degozaru is said by Samurai ect... in TV shows, dramas).
I believe, the "zura / dasu" follow the same pattern. It probably has that proper grammatical value that "desu" has but by using a different wording, it allows to give some individuality/identity to different groups.

It's kind of difficult to localize.

If I were to find somzthing that has the same vibe in Europe, I would say like how Belgian people often say "Une fois" at the end of their sentences.
Not trying to be offensive to the Belgians, of course. I actually don't think they say this regularly, but the French often will use it when they try to speak as if they were Belgian (basically it's a way which they identify the specificity of Belgian French in regards to French French). It's become a bit like a traditional thing, I guess it's this kind of pattern.

Anyway sorry for the long rant, but I thought I'd give some kind of example that I feel relate to that same notion.
Zio51
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Blaw- » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:52 pm

Yeah, I think the same.

I think I'll just ignore it.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff