PSg:1: Should spell names change in Overseas Names ver.?

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Should the names of magic change in the version where Alisa is Alis, La Shiec is Lassic, etc.?

Yes please! The original names give me war flashbacks to Phantasy Star IV!
83%
No way! All I want are the character names to change!
No votes
Other (Please post in the topic to explain)
17%

Total votes : 12

PSg:1: Should spell names change in Overseas Names ver.?

Postby SandyLandale » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:03 pm

Edit 1 - Unless I'm misunderstanding something, there are also 5 votes on the PS Cave Facebook page in favor of keeping the original names, 1 for changing them, and 1 vote that doesn't mind either way.

Hi everyone! Exciting news--Tryphon and I are getting ready to release the Overseas Names version of Phantasy Star generation:1. It's called "Overseas Names" because it's not just changing Lutz to Noah--Alisa is becoming Alis, La Shiec is becoming Lassic, Tyrone will return to being Odin, and even Damoa will become Damor!

I'm not sure what we're doing with Tajim's name yet, since he was also known as Tajima and Tarzimal. I was also wondering if we should bother changing Dark Falz to Dark Force, but that would be on Kyence, especially since Dark Force was known as Dark Falz in the first place in PSI for Master System. If anyone has thoughts on what I should do with Tajim/Tarzimal/Tajima, I would love to hear them--but remember that Tajim is referenced in PS generation:2, so it would affect both translations.

Edit 2 - Apparently, he was changed to being exclusively called Tarzimal in the GBA port of Phantasy Star, so that is what he will become.

Nonetheless, since all English releases of Phantasy Star I--including SMS Power!'s fan translation--changed the spell names to something more accessible for the players, changing the original series-specific magic names to plain English... I was wondering if, with the imminent release of the Overseas Name version, I should follow suit.

Here are the spell names I was looking at. Item names will NOT be changed, and the Original Names version will NOT have its spell names changed.

Code: Select all
ORIGINAL ... PROPOSED
Heal ....... Heal
Raheal ..... Heal II
Giheal ..... Heal III
Doheal ..... Heal All
Curela ..... Remedy
Rebirth .... Rise
Flaeli ..... Fire
Giflaeli ... Fire II
Hewn ....... Gale
Gihewn ..... Gale II
Tandre ..... Thunder
Gitandre ... Thunder II
Froze ...... Ice
Rafroze .... Ice II
Warla ...... Wall
Mawarla .... Protect
Powma ...... Boost
Telele ..... Terrify
Bindwa ..... Bind
Hypnos ..... Sleep
Silence .... Quiet
Lucsta ..... Bye
Tolupa ..... Fly
Surto ...... Exit
Rapt ....... Disarm
Mwode ...... Open
Gifroze .... Ice III
Docurela ... Remedy All

I tried to keep spell names four or five letters long, with the exception of ones that I had the chance to expand, like THUN, PROT, and TERR. Gifroze is a Collabo Spell, and Docurela looks like it's dummied, (No need for it to exist when Medical Treatment does!) but I'll be changing its name anyway.

So, anyway, please let me know your thoughts.
Last edited by SandyLandale on Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:16 am, edited 11 times in total.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Re: PSg:1 - Should spell names change in Overseas Names vers

Postby AnotherGills » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:34 pm

Might as well change it all up to help make it more inviting to new players.
AnotherGills
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby andrew » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:39 pm

I would vote for some names to change, and some to not change. I like the pre-fixes for the more powerful versions of spells, rather than the (Final Fantasy-esque) numbers. But some of the more vaguely named spells, like Lucsta, Rapt, and Mwode could probably be changed. Also, I like the idea of changing Dark Falz to Dark Force. Though I always assumed Falz was just German for force, but I just looked it up and it turns out it's German for fold, so what do I know? I would not for Tajim or Tajima for that guy.
andrew
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby SandyLandale » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:29 pm

AnotherGills wrote:Might as well change it all up to help make it more inviting to new players.

Well, there are spell descriptions readily available by pressing the Triangle Button in battle. The only reason I really thought to even suggest this is the fact that no other version of Phantasy Star in English, until now, used the original names of Flaeli, Tolupa, etc. I don't think it would be in fair taste to change them in the Original Names version since that's not representative of what the translation is about.

andrew wrote:I would vote for some names to change, and some to not change. I like the pre-fixes for the more powerful versions of spells, rather than the (Final Fantasy-esque) numbers. But some of the more vaguely named spells, like Lucsta, Rapt, and Mwode could probably be changed.

This is kind of confusing! Let me see if I understand. Are you asking for some names that are pretty identifiable like Flaeli and Tandre to stay as-is, but Lucsta and Mwode would become clearer names like--just throwing out an example, probably wouldn't keep these names--Runaway and Unsealing?

Or are you maybe suggesting drop the Roman numerals and instead keep Gi-, Ra-, and Do-? (I wouldn't rename Froze as Ice in this. I'd maybe call it Cryo or Frost.) So it would be something like Gifire, Rafrost, Githunder, etc.?

I'd need additional thoughts on these ideas from everyone before considering it. (By the way, FF is more along the lines of using suffixes these days, rather than Arabic numerals!)

andrew wrote:Also, I like the idea of changing Dark Falz to Dark Force. Though I always assumed Falz was just German for force, but I just looked it up and it turns out it's German for fold, so what do I know?

I like it too, just because it would be bringing it up to the consistency of the official English names, which is what is the intention of the Overseas Names edition. But again, it's something on Kyence.

andrew wrote:I would not for Tajim or Tajima for that guy.

Looks like you have a half-finished thought here. Are you saying you would prefer Tarzimal for the name of the Master Esper?

Thanks for the feedback, everyone; please keep it coming!

Edit - I think the dilemma of what to called Tajim is solved. He's called Tarzimal exclusively in the Game Boy Advance release, which had a few text cleanups in and of itself.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Re: PSg:1 - Should spell names change in Overseas Names ver.

Postby guru » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:40 pm

This is a tough decision I guess. It depends what you are trying to do here. I vote to change the names of characters as that's just always how I remember their names. Now on to the tricky part...

Spell names.... Complicated =/ If you are trying to make the spell names more understandable to non-ps veterans then go with the numerals. Otherwise I like the original names but that's mostly because I'm a huge ps4 fan.

Dark force! it was originally a mistranslation anyways correct? That was always my impression at least, but who knows maybe after so many years the evil entity just got a different name. Either way dark force would definitely go better with an overseas version.

I always remember tajima for ps1.... and tajim/tajima sounds "closer" to a oversea name imo. So my vote goes for tajima but I wouldn't mind tajim either and that would make it so wouldn't have to change the psg2 translation.

None are a big deal but couple things I don't like if you decide to change the spells...

hush... but I'm assuming you couldn't expand the characters on that one? Silence sounds better to me
Rope. I would vote Bind but the original version was rope right? So I guess technically rope would be right...but I never liked the original translation of that.
guru
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby SandyLandale » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:05 pm

Edit 1 - guru, I think you misunderstand. There are going to be two versions of Phantasy Star generation:1's version 2, just like version 1 had Lutz and Noah versions. I call it the "Overseas Names Version" because out of Japan, or "overseas," Alisa is Alis, Tyrone is Odin, Lutz is Noah, La Shiec is Lassic, Damoa is Damor, and Tajim is Tarzimal.

You see, this time, we're not just changing Lutz to Noah, I'm changing the names of anyone who was named in the Master System original to how they were named in the official 1988 translation, using the corrections made to the script of the Game Boy Advance port of Phantasy Star I as a guideline. You can have your pick of which version you want.

What we're debating is is: should we change the spell names in the patch where their names are Alis, Noah, etc., or should we leave them the same?

My original post follows below because I spent a lot of time typing it out!

---

Well, the goal of changing the spell names isn't really to make the game more accessible to new players. The descriptions are readily available for that! It's just that, every other English version of Phantasy Star I had completely changed the names.

For example, Flaeli. It was known as Fire in the official 1988 Master System release. In 2008, the group SMS Power! released a fan translation of the Japanese version of Phantasy Star, and they also renamed the spells. (Flaeli and Tolupa were always Flaeli and Tolupa in the Japanese version, even on the Master System, as far as I can tell.)

So I thought, "Well, if we're going with the official English character names, shouldn't we go with slightly tweaked versions of the official English spell names, too?" I think it's a different case from Phantasy Star II, whose tech names were simply corrected to their intended meanings in generation:2's fan translation.

As for PelorieMate and Roginine, in case anyone was wondering, changing the power food and energy drink in the official translation of the original game to a cup of cola and a hamburger actually made a bit of sense localization-wise, even if the food (LV 1 healing item originally.) and drink (LV 2 healing item originally.) got swapped in the trip across the pond, so to speak.

Changing them in generation:1 would make the jump to Trimate more illogical than it already is; OK gang, let's get our gear in order! Some cans of soda, some hamburgers, and a medicine made from crystals extracted from a stone? Not gonna work.

The Original Names patch wouldn't have any spell names change. I just thought this would be a fun idea!

Edit 2 -
guru wrote:Dark force! it was originally a mistranslation anyways correct? That was always my impression at least, but who knows maybe after so many years the evil entity just got a different name. Either way dark force would definitely go better with an overseas version.

My personal stance is that, since the official translations Phantasy Star II, III, and IV definitely cemented that this enemy is named Dark Force in overseas continuity, it should change in the Overseas Names Version, but it was known as Dark Falz (DARKFALZ if you want to be pedantic.) in the 1988 official Sega Master System release, so I'm unsure and I'm waiting on Kyence's reply, since this would effect both "Overseas Names Versions." It would likely stay as Dark Falz in the Original Names Version.

guru wrote:I always remember tajima for ps1.... and tajim/tajima sounds "closer" to a oversea name imo. So my vote goes for tajima but I wouldn't mind tajim either and that would make it so wouldn't have to change the psg2 translation.

Funny thing you should mention that; I just looked up where the "Tajima" spelling comes from. I can't find anything outside of fan-related work like fan fics, some fan-maintained wikis, walkthroughs, and Kyence's v1.00 translation of generation:1. He was only ever called Tajim and Tarzimal in the original, and in the GBA port, it was corrected to him being called Tarzimal both times his name is referenced.

guru wrote:None are a big deal but couple things I don't like if you decide to change the spells...

hush... but I'm assuming you couldn't expand the characters on that one? Silence sounds better to me
Rope. I would vote Bind but the original version was rope right? So I guess technically rope would be right...but I never liked the original translation of that.

I was trying to keep spell names four letters or less to go along with the spirit of the official 1988 translation, but in the cases of Boost, Remedy, and Disarm, that wasn't possible. (I didn't want to call Curela "Cure" because that was Raheal's name in the original Master System version! Aid or Care might've worked, but I don't like those as much.)

In other cases, like Terrify and Thunder, I chose to expand them from their original abbreviations because it would look really, really unprofessional to leave them in when I had the power to change them comfortably. The spell names can be as long as the menu space will allow thanks to the variable width font, but there's an aesthetic choice I was trying to go with. I would consider Quiet or Mute, but I'd be hesitant to go with "Silence" because of its seven letters. If other people feel the same, I may consider keeping its original name.

Regarding Rope, I do kind of like the idea of Bind instead, but I'm trying my damnedest to stick to the official Master System translation without putting in idiotic spell names like Help or Wind.

Edit 3 - Decided officially on Bind and Quiet instead of Rope and Hush. Rope was a cute name originally, but it doesn't fit the spell animation anymore.
Last edited by SandyLandale on Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby xrick » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:09 pm

I placed a vote but I'm not that much worried about the end result since I'll stick to the version with all the original names and spellings.
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby guru » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:21 pm

I see where you are going with it now. I voted for the change. And quiet and mute both sound pretty good to me.
guru
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Return to Fan stuff