Japanese or dubbed?

Any discussions related to anime/manga that you wish to share, or curious to know

Japanese or dubbed?

Postby Dr_Odin » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:59 pm

What do you prefere? The original language (japanese) or dubbed to English or other languages?<p>I would say I like the animes to be original... even though I don't understand a jack of the japanese language.<p>''Dr. Odin
Dr_Odin

Japanese or dubbed?

Postby Siren » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:37 am

I don't mind japanese with english subtitle, like there was with Blood (it was bad, but I did watch it) but it's much more enjoyable to be able to watch the action sequences without missing anything because of subtitles. If the company put effort into dubbing it, than I prefer that.
Siren

Japanese or dubbed?

Postby ill-intent » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:40 am

Okay, actually understanding the language I will admit I will always watch it in japanese first. BUT that's because I want to see it as the original writers/directors intended. There is no real obvious answer as to which is better.<br> One problem is the writing. Some shows have decent english voices, but the script/translation they get to read really blows goat. Because of this, alot of dubbs turn out alot worse then they could have. However, if you leave it subbed, some cultural "isms" and language jokes don't translate. <br> If you can compare two versions on par for script, then we can judge by acting. I've come across several series where the original japanese "actors" were actually j-pop idols trying to look cool by voice acting (and they SUCKED!). Yes, there have been times where the dubbed acting is better (example: EL Hazard OVAs--and that's not just me, I sent a copy of the dubbed version to a friend in Japan and they loved it).<br> (there's my answer, like the undergarments...... it just depends)
ill-intent

Japanese or dubbed?

Postby Goldark » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:13 am

I couldn't agree more with ill-intent.<p>I've had the chance to see anime dubbed either in italian, english and japanese. I can say that Italian dubbers are really skilled, sometimes they act even better compared to the original actors (and not only anime, also movies), but there are time when they can't seem to be able to reproduce the same emotions the anime had in origin, or just can't. For example, everyone who had seen Excel Saga subbed will agree the is nearly impossible to reproduce the way the original actress talked, in that case subbed is really better, but other times not, the list of exaples should be superflous.<br>It's really a matter of what you prefer. And lately with DVDs it's not a problem anymore.<br>On a side note, it's just me, or english dubbers most of the times act poorly?<br>
Goldark

Japanese or dubbed?

Postby SheWren » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:59 am

Please notice one thing: Englishmen and Americans almost never dub a movie or a cartoon. Italians ALWAYS dub movies and cartoons. Experience is not an optional. We have actors specialized in dubbing...it's accepted worldwide that we have the best dub industry.<br>Moreover, it's known that Japanese actors work in bad conditions; always in a hurry. A TV series episode is dubbed the night before being broadcast, without seeing the complete episode but only the storyboard and the key frames.<br>The only movie I have preferred in Japanese is Hataru no Haka (Tomb of the Fireflies): that child seems real with that voice and cry...<br>I make an ecception for many TV series: the ones broadcast on Mediaset channels (Goldark will understand). The dubbers are no actors at all!!! They're not professionals...anyone can dub that way.<br>I remember with nostalgia the good old days, when every single anime was dubbed by professionals...I still collect my favourite ones both in Italian and Japanese (mainly because I can undertand it).
SheWren

Japanese or dubbed?

Postby Goldark » Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:17 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by SheWren</i><br>I make an ecception for many TV series: the ones broadcast on Mediaset channels (Goldark will understand). The dubbers are no actors at all!!! They're not professionals...anyone can dub that way.<br></blockquote><p>That's true, I don't know abroad, but here we have the misfortune of having one of the main network who censor, sometime heavily, change the whole story, and other horrors, just to adapt anime to something that can be seen by a child of 4-8 years old without upsetting their parents, products that were originally intended for an older audeince. After all this work they probably don't have enough resources to pay professionals.<p>Oh well, I wish I had more money to buy the old classics too !@#$
Goldark

Japanese or dubbed?

Postby Zylo » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:32 pm

Well I always prefer Japanese and subtitles. BUt I don't mind watching it dubbed.
Zylo

Japanese or dubbed?

Postby Butoden » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:50 pm

In the Japanese DragonBall Z (only Japanesed-languaged which I happen to have seen) they're all scolding, in the dubbed they see : Darn it, and 'No! No! No!' :p<br>When it would be litterly translated it would be better, but the Japanese voices are so much higher-toned than the English ones. It made Vegeta's voice even more sissier! #)
Butoden

Japanese or dubbed?

Postby HuBBsDoctor » Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:22 am

I perfer subtitled. Thats just the way I am. Of course I love watching Lodoss war in english.
HuBBsDoctor

Japanese or dubbed?

Postby Monocromatico » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:11 pm

In Brazil they always dub anime. But depending on the dubbing studio, it sounds better in portuguese than in japanese. But some works are just crap. I guess it depends on the artists working on it.
Monocromatico

Japanese or dubbed?

Postby Rasip » Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:26 am

<blockquote> I perfer subtitled. Thats just the way I am. Of course I love watching Lodoss war in english. </blockquote> <p>Same here.
Rasip

Japanese or dubbed?

Postby Rika/Phoenix » Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:06 pm

Usually japanese with english subtitles but some dubs are all right, Excel Saga is a pretty good one.
Rika/Phoenix

Japanese or dubbed?

Postby Darken » Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:22 am

I would have to say Subbed because I enjoy listening to Japanese. I have as yet to find an Anime I prefer in english. <p>Catz: You have no CHANCE to survive! Make your time.<br>Darken:What you SAY?<br>Duck:Quack!<br>Darken:Thats what I thought, lets get out of here...
Darken

Japanese or dubbed?

Postby Dr. Casey » Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:42 pm

If the dub is like Dragon Ball's, where the entire script is innacurate... umm... neither.<p>If the dub is accurate like Slayers... the dub.
Dr. Casey

Japanese or dubbed?

Postby LaconianShot » Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:56 pm

Ummm...if I knew how to understand Japanese, I'd watch it that way for the same reasons as Ill-Intent.<br>But...not all english dubbed voice acting is bad. I've seen the amazingly dubbed Princess Mononoke video, and I admit to enjoying it. The speed of the mouth movement was good, it fitted the dub. And using Billy Bob Thornton as one of the voice actors was really cool...he fitted the part well.
LaconianShot

Next

Return to Anime / Manga