Japanese or dubbed?

Any discussions related to anime/manga that you wish to share, or curious to know

Japanese or dubbed?

Postby nibbler » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:12 pm

dont mind really. but a lot of the newer manga films that are dubbed into english are better than the older ones!<p>anyone watched casshern what a great film (not manga. japanese action like matrix, cyborg and well watch it and see for yourself) ace story line. Bit mad to follow<br><p>[size=small][Edit by nibbler on [TIME]1120162482[/TIME]][/size]
nibbler

Japanese or dubbed?

Postby PSP » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:33 pm

Japanese voice actors seem more sincere in terms of ability to emote and give the characters more depth vocally, so I typically watch the Japanese versions. There are exceptions though, namely Cowboy Bebop which I think was given special treatment and was very much an ADR labor of love (something that comes through in interviews with the staff who dubbed it).<p>And yes, scripts typically get mangled in the translation process, unless someone truly shows interest in the project, which I think is rare.<p>-Corey
PSP

Japanese or dubbed?

Postby Tails99 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:26 am

My brother got an episode from Dragon Ball GT, in Japenese with English subtitles. Then, I watched the same episode when it came out in Englsih on Cartoon Network. I have to say I liked the Original Japenese one better. The people, as said before, emote better than translations.
Tails99

Japanese or dubbed?

Postby PSP » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:43 am

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Tails99</i><p>My brother got an episode from Dragon Ball GT, in Japenese with English subtitles. Then, I watched the same episode when it came out in Englsih on Cartoon Network. I have to say I liked the Original Japenese one better. The people, as said before, emote better than translations.<br></blockquote><p>Well, Dragonball particularly got the shaft in the dubbing department...<p>-Corey
PSP

Japanese or dubbed?

Postby Synbios » Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:14 am

I prefer dubbed, I always prefer animes, movies, etc. in my native language, unless they do an awful job.
Synbios

Japanese or dubbed?

Postby Tekno-Crystal » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:03 pm

How often are dubs good :P. In my opinion, not often. I always prefer subbed, in dubs they often change words, and sometimes whole conversations to match up with mouths. Not only that, they also, sometimes, edit out violence, nudity, and course language, which detracts from the overall effect of the show. For example, in InuYasha, he frequently says&#12288;"Kisama" or "Temae" and they dumb it down to "You...!" and it sounds terrible.
Tekno-Crystal

Japanese or dubbed?

Postby Lord Khyron » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:14 pm

You know.. those words mean "YOU" in english.. so it doesn't matter really.<p>Really, Fansubbers get it wrong most of the time, make plot changes as well. Also, How can you trust the sub is true? You can't. <p>Sometimes a sub is translated wrong, But no one ever complains about bad subs. I've seen subs with vital plot changes, just because the subber felt like it. <p>Take First of the North Star anime. The japanese is terrible, The English dub is better. <p>Same with the SDF:M series, the original 36 episodes. The Robotech dialogue and stories, were better than the original japanese, as quoted by the japanese creators!<p>You can never have a perfect dub, for the variability in translations. But you can have "near Perfect" which means the subtitles match the dubbed dialogue. As several animes prove.
Lord Khyron

Japanese or dubbed?

Postby Tekno-Crystal » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:18 pm

The words do literally mean "you" but the way their said, and their actual meaning, is extremely impolite, so it IS a swear word.<p>And I can trust most subs because I can understand a bit of the Japanese, and from what I do understand they're usually good, although sometimes it does translate a bit odd.<p>Also, on quite a few DVD's the subtitles are actually dubtitles, where the subtitles are exactly what the dub is, not a translation. Or at least thats how it was done with most of the older ones, the newer ones are usually translations now.<p>I didn't say all dubs were bad, I just think most are. One dub I didn't mind was Angelic Layer. The got the voices almost perfect, and the story was the same as well. Good show :D.
Tekno-Crystal

Japanese or dubbed?

Postby GroG » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:39 am

The best dubbes I have ever heard are 2. The English dub of Robotech and the Swedish dub of Robotech...yes I really mean it, the swedish dubs rock.
GroG

Previous

Return to Anime / Manga