Ys Anime?

Any discussions related to anime/manga that you wish to share, or curious to know

Ys Anime?

Postby zoothe » Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:58 am

I saw that there are some "Ys" animes out there. Has anyone seen them? Are they any good?
zoothe

Ys Anime?

Postby Lord Khyron » Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:32 am

Good! A friend let me borrow one of the dvd's.<p>For such a older title, I enjoyed it.
Lord Khyron

Ys Anime?

Postby zoothe » Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:36 am

I haven't bought any of them (yet), how many are there? I've seen two. Are they based on the games or do they go off on a new story line?
zoothe

Ys Anime?

Postby ill-intent » Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:02 pm

I don't know what's been released outside of Japan (my copies are old VHS tapes from way back when) but they did 2 OVA series covering Ys1 and 2. The stories are altered slightly but, for their time, aren't that bad. They kept a surprising ammount of detail (monsters, music, scenery) from the games. A very nice retro feel to it all. <p> Dammit, now I have to go and replay the Ys Eternals...... :@
ill-intent

Ys Anime?

Postby zoothe » Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:59 pm

<blockquote>Dammit, now I have to go and replay the Ys Eternals</blockquote> <p>Are you playing the PS2 verion or the PC one? I found a site that has a English hack for the PC verion, but I haven't been able to find anywhere that sells it. <p>Does anyone know if Ys Eternal will be released in the US? I read somewhere that Working Designs was trying to get the rights to it (that'd be sweet!).
zoothe

Ys Anime?

Postby ill-intent » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:42 am

I've got the 1&2 collection for PS2 (limited edition with cool little figures and a model map of Esteria--Nice!) and the new Ys 6 for PC (both japanese). As for being picked up in english.... I haven't heard anything and I doubt it. Both PC and PS2 versions (or 1&2) are over a year old (now-a-days they don't wait long to port stuff over). <p> What I'm hoping for is a remake of 5 as its the only one I don't have (the SNES one sucks and I have no desire of finding a PC-FX system for one game).
ill-intent

Ys Anime?

Postby zoothe » Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:08 am

Hmmm, dammit!! It looks freaking awesome too!! Yeah, this guy on this site made his own English translation for the PC version. I e-mailed him asking if he knew where I could obtain the Japanese PC version. Hopefully I'll hear from him. I guess it's either that or learn Japanese, eh? Seems pretty damn hard. And it's really starting to piss me off, finding all these great games that are *only* released in Japan (Langrisser, Ys, Tales of...). Isn't it kinda sad that they had an "Y's" game for the SMS, but they won't release any now?<p>I didn't even know there was a part 5, let alone a part 6!! (I saw that collector's set you were talking about on eBay, looks pretty cool!).
zoothe

Ys Anime?

Postby zoothe » Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:38 am

Don't know if you have already seen this or care or whatever, but I found an interview with the main guy at Working designs (though it is kind of old) where he talks a little about Ys Eternal:<p>Rudo (Interviewer): Okay, what about Ys? Are you guys discussing with Falcom about bringing Ys Eternal over here or are there no discussions whatsoever and you guys will never bring a Ys game over?<p>Vic: Well, if they make a good one. All the ones they have are rehashes of older Ys games that they made in the 80s or early 90s. So, the current Ys is not coming. Ys eternal, a lot of people don't know about this but it's only Ys 1. It's a nice game but it's just a slightly upgraded version of Ys 1 and it's really short (about 6 to 8 hours). Actually, I was talking to Falcom this morning and I was telling them the same exact thing. If you upgrade the system and make a new Ys based on the old Ys, if they took Ys 1 and renovated it, I would love to do that. I'd do it in a second but it's too old and you know like Lunar, it's pretty old but it balances with very strong upgrades, they made a lot of improvements and when you play, you don't care. It's just about the game and the animation is incredible but Ys has no animation. It has full-talking heads, nice graphics but it's not enough. Not enough changed and too short. If they made 1 & 2 together or ever 1, 2 & 4 forget about Ys 3 it sucked. But I don't think they're going to do that, Falcom is a bit lost. They have all those great properties and they're just rehashing what they've already done.<br>
zoothe

Ys Anime?

Postby ill-intent » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:58 pm

The best "classic" version of Ys 1&2 was for PC Engine/Turbo Graphx CD. That had voices, (sorta) cinemas and was (at the time) freakin' stunning. 3 and 4 also came out for the PC engine, but only 1-3 made to english. 5 was for the short-lived 32 bit PC-FX system and SNES. The PC FX one had full-length cinemas and looked awsome. (the SNES paled in comparison) 6 only came out late last year for PC.<br> That's not including the many rehash versions zoothe mentioned (NES, SNES, Genesis, Saturn....) Ys kinda had that capcom-streetfighter syndrome there, didn't it?
ill-intent

Ys Anime?

Postby Siren » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:06 pm

Actually, there is a planned release for Ys on the GBA, but it's in Japan. <p>I haven't heard anything about it being released in North America, but it'll probably be ported over here. Nintendo is good about getting stuff ported over here ( they like to take care of their GBA fans).
Siren

Ys Anime?

Postby Makaeveli » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:18 pm

Hmm, i've never seen manga, but I do know two idiot twins who devote their lives to it and PSO.
Makaeveli

Ys Anime?

Postby Benoit » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:02 pm

Then don't post in this part of the board.
Benoit

Ys Anime?

Postby zoothe » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:18 pm

I also read in a magazine (EGM I think) that Konami had picked up Ys VI and was planning a US release. Oh that'd be sweet!!
zoothe

Ys Anime?

Postby LaconianShot » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:35 pm

I read that one too. I also read in Nintendo Power that there was a planned Ys GBA game, though I'm not sure if that is true. EGM is a good magazine...did you read the Sean Baby reviews? Hilarious! :p
LaconianShot

Ys Anime?

Postby zoothe » Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:27 am

No, I was just skimming through it and saw the whole "RPG" section. I used to have a subscription back when I was like 10... I still have issue number 9 somewhere!<p>Ys was one of those RPGs that was everywhere (You had part 1 on SMS, then 1&2 on TG16, 3 on Genesis and TG16, and wasn't there one on SNES?)... then it disappered (at least in the US). I really hope *someone* brings these new games over. I'd feel real pathetic learning Japanese *just* so I could play them :D<p>A GBA release would be cool. I like that it has a lot of good "old school" style RPGs. Let's hope.
zoothe

Next

Return to Anime / Manga