Magic ^_^

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

Magic ^_^

Postby Prince Noah » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:39 am

I'm wondering....in PS 4, casting Foi and Zan makes a Firestorm. Wat and Zan make a Blizzard. True. But lemme ask ya this. When I was sitting in my quarters reading about this stuff, if Water and Wind at high speeds make a blizzard, why does Fire and Wind make a Firestorm? Why doesn't the fire just blow out, or the water just evaporate? :p
Prince Noah

Magic ^_^

Postby gm2987 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:22 pm

Rule 1 of Video games.<p>1) Never question video game logic.
gm2987

Magic ^_^

Postby Redeemer » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:10 pm

Id have to agree with that lol. It just does...
Redeemer

Magic ^_^

Postby Benoit » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:51 pm

I don't think water evaporates at high speeds. It evaporates a high temperature.<br>Fire feeds off of oxygen. Of course, at such a speed, it would blow out, but what they use in the game is a sort of magic, so I guess it wouldn't blow out that quickly. Not to mention it's a large amount, so the fire is stronger against wind.
Benoit

Magic ^_^

Postby DaveGeorge » Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:08 pm

wind doesn't allways put out flames :D<p>Oh, and like Benoit said... it's MAGIC! #) <p>[size=small][Edit by DaveGeorge on [TIME]1076958556[/TIME]][/size]
DaveGeorge

Magic ^_^

Postby ill-intent » Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:16 pm

In areas like the open plains of Australia, if the weather is really dry and a bush fire breaks out during high winds you get flames flying through the air for miles (literally). And they call it (dun dun DAAAAHN) a firestorm.<p> It happens and you don't even need magic. :D
ill-intent

Magic ^_^

Postby Monocromatico » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:06 pm

If Magic could be explained, it would become Science.<p>edit: ... that´s one hell of a good quote, woo ^.^<br><p>[size=small][Edit by Monocromatico on [TIME]1076969214[/TIME]][/size]
Monocromatico

Magic ^_^

Postby Benoit » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:54 pm

But Techniques isn't really magic. :)
Benoit

Magic ^_^

Postby Mizehrith » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:00 am

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Benoit</i><p>But Techniques isn't really magic. :)<br></blockquote><p>Correct. A rather common misconception among fans of both the Phantasy Star saga and PSO alike is that magic and technique are one and the same. In PS IV, during the scene in which Rune unleashes the Flaeli magic to clear a path, Hahn says to Rune, "I've never seen that technique before!", and is corrected by the statment, "I'm not surprised you've never seen it before. This is what they call 'magic'". Alys then goes on to suggest that magic was supposedly something that had "ceased to exist thousands of years ago". It can be said that magic was more or less an innate ability possessed only by special cases, such as espers, for example, and that techniques were a product of a thousand years worth of careful study and research.
Mizehrith

Magic ^_^

Postby Monocromatico » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:49 pm

But if science can´t be explained, it becomes magic ~.^
Monocromatico

Magic ^_^

Postby LaconianShot » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:40 pm

Actually, I've heard that in PS Gaiden, Alis travels to a different world and brings back the knowledge of Techniques to Algol...I'll check the site that I think it's on...
LaconianShot

Magic ^_^

Postby LaconianShot » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:57 pm

Oh...O.K here it is, and it was actually on this site under other/timeline so here it is: <br>]<br><blockquote>Lutz and Alis both return safely from the other Solar system along with a new "bodyguard" and love interest to Alis, Gardinan. Both Gardinan and Lutz bring the knowledge of techniques to the Algo Solar System. </blockquote> <p>So I guess it was Lutz and Alis who brought Techniques to Algo, so that's why there isn't any techniques prior to PSII. As for the absence of Magic in PSII (that your character can use,anyway), I can only assume that Magic is no longer used by most people (with the exception of Espers, of course). Or it may be already forgotten by that time.
LaconianShot

Magic ^_^

Postby Monocromatico » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:11 pm

In PS2, it´s said that Lutz was the last telemental in Algol. <p>Hmmm... assuming that Lutz does know magic, and he is called a "telemental", I would guess that "magic" is a therm used for telemental techniques. After all, what would be the physical difference between Flaeli (a magic) and Foi (a technique), both fire based attacks?<p>Which complicates even more the subject... because... how would Chaz cast fire out of nowhere if he wasn´t using mental powers?
Monocromatico

Magic ^_^

Postby Lord Khyron » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:03 am

I think I have a explanations for skills from PS IV at least.<p>During the time of PS II, Techniques were at their peak power. There were even machine techniques.<p>After the Great Collapse, More of the advanced techniques would be forgotten. So to compensate, Hunters and such decided to use their own LIFE energy to mimic what techniques COULD do. Because Palmans couldn't use Magic, they decided to meld their technique power with their natural abilities.<p>We know techniques are your mind manipulating mental energy forming it into a attack or cure.<p>Hence you get a hybrid technique called a skill. CHAZ used swords, So Rayblade could be FOI+SWORD.. Airslash is SWORD+ZAN. EARTH could be sword+GRA technique.<p>This would make a skill for normal palmans be a combination of mental powers and weaponry.<p>Now as for Espers, Their skills are true magic. They do not need to use a weapon to use their skills. Rune used attack magic, Kyra used attack and healing magic.<p>It's not inconclusive, But it is a good start. It is neither right nor wrong, Just a nice speculation ^^
Lord Khyron

Magic ^_^

Postby Prince Noah » Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:02 pm

I see. I was just curious.<p><i>I'm the prince of all Espers, and I didn't even know about that....Some wizard I turned out to be....</i>
Prince Noah

Next

Return to Phantasy Star