The favorite Phantasy Star game poll

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

Your favorite Phantasy Star game

Phantasy Star (Master System)
17%
Phantasy Star II (Genesis)
21%
Phantasy Star II Text Adventures (Mega/Sega CD)
No votes
Phantasy Star III (Genesis)
8%
Phantasy Star IV (Genesis)
48%
Phantasy Star Gaiden or Adventure (Game Gear)
No votes
Phantasy Star Generation 1 (Playstation 2)
1%
Phantasy Star Generation 2 (Playstation 2)
2%
Phantasy Star Online *any episode*
3%
Phantasy Star Universe
No votes

Total votes : 230

Postby BenoitRen » Fri May 29, 2009 3:53 pm

What, even Phantasy Star Gaiden? I played it more than a year ago, and while it's not horrible, it's not that good either.

You spend the entire game grinding like mad with two characters (three in the second half of the game) and buying pricy equipment just to get to the other side of the map and then kick some asses. All this with a very minimalist battle system with static monsters.

It barely has any value.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Abominae » Fri May 29, 2009 4:53 pm

I have yet to play Gaiden & Adventure, tho I fully intend to, legitimately or not...

PSU? eh... PS0 will be out by the time I get around to considering that one, so probably not.
Abominae

Postby Wing-0 » Fri May 29, 2009 11:29 pm

BenoitRen wrote:What, even Phantasy Star Gaiden? I played it more than a year ago, and while it's not horrible, it's not that good either.

Hey, I like it. Does that make me weird?
You spend the entire game grinding like mad with two characters (three in the second half of the game) and buying pricy equipment just to get to the other side of the map and then kick some asses. All this with a very minimalist battle system with static monsters.

Well, the same could e argued aout PS2, and many consider it the highlight of the series... Except for the battle system. It was very complex.
It barely has any value.

I don't agree. It was a game released for a portable with a lot of limitations, and still, for the time it was, I believe it to be pretty good... Even the music was nice...
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Postby BenoitRen » Sat May 30, 2009 1:11 am

WING-0 wrote:Well, the same could e argued aout PS2, and many consider it the highlight of the series...

Yes, I was thinking the same thing when typing my post, but PSII has an actual story, more characters with more personality, a decent battle system, animated monsters, two big planets, and complex dungeon lay-outs.
It was a game released for a portable with a lot of limitations, and still, for the time it was, I believe it to be pretty good... Even the music was nice...

Aside from the smaller screen and a bigger colour palette, the Game Gear had the exact same hardware, and thus limitations, as the Master System. Yet despite being released four years later, Phantasy Star Gaiden is sorely lacking in comparison to the original Phantasy Star.

The music was catchy, though, I can agree with that.
BenoitRen

Postby Wing-0 » Sun May 31, 2009 2:58 am

I wasn't talking about hardware limitations, I was talking about economic limitations. Most portable games don't have the budget of a full console game. At least now, although I don't think it was different back then. If the budget is small, the game is not gonna be as big as its predecessor... The developers most likely tried to milk the cow. That said, I still view Gaiden as a nice, far from magistral walk in a pixelated park. I like it... a lot.
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Postby BenoitRen » Sun May 31, 2009 12:20 pm

Economic limitations? Those sure didn't stop the SaGa games and Seiken Densetsu for being great games on the Game Boy. Phantasy Star Gaiden is quite bland in comparison.
BenoitRen

Hmmm...

Postby Wing-0 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:22 am

BenoitRen wrote:Economic limitations? Those sure didn't stop the SaGa games and Seiken Densetsu for being great games on the Game Boy. Phantasy Star Gaiden is quite bland in comparison.

Sorry, to be honest with you, I have not played a single SaGa game nor the Seiken series on a portable system with the ONLY exeption of it being Sword of Mana. But even then, look at the time it was released and what systems were on the market at the time. It is a 2003 game. Around that time, there were some games like these:

Shinobi for the PS2 2002 (the previous year)
Nightshade for the PS2 2003 (that year)
Metal Gear Solid 3 (the next year)

The game plays like a SNES game, which is nice IMO, but I remember some people not being that gung.ho about the game

My point is, while there is a significant budget going into portables, it is not always the same as the one going to console based ones. Also, I'll take a look at what year was Gaiden released to give myself an idea of what systems and games were out there.
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Oh...

Postby Wing-0 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:34 am

And before you tell me "Those are all PS2 games", well... I didn't have a Cube until late last year... And the specs both in hardware and money were more or less comparable for both systems...

My point is this: It's not exactly right to compare one game to another based on the importance of its platform. It would be good to take in account the money invested (more like an estimation on our parts) and the current systems at the time. We can argue that the first Super Mario Land was an ok game, but only compared to its current competitors. Comparing it to say... Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops on the PSP wouldn't be fair. Technical specs are way too different... I dunno about the budgets, though. I can at least tell you that Portable Ops did not have a similar budget to that of Metal Gear Solid 3...
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Postby BenoitRen » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:44 am

The Game Boy (Game Boy, not Game Boy Advance!) games I mentioned are from the same time period. I did not mention Sword of Mana, so I'm not comparing Phantasy Star Gaiden to it.

EDIT: And now that I finally got past GameFAQs' forced advertisement:

SaGa (Final Fantasy Legend): 1989
SaGa II (Final Fantasy Legend II): 1990
SaGa III (Final Fantasy Legend III): 1991
Seiken Densetsu (Final Fantasy Adventure / Mystic Quest): 1991
BenoitRen

I checked the year.

Postby Wing-0 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:29 am

Phantasy Star Gaiden was from 1992.

If my memory serves me right (correct me if I'm wrong), The Genesis was by then an established platform (was it released in 1989? I don't remember... Let's check PS2 for a reference). So if we compare the portable with the console, you can see the differences.

I think PS3 was released in 91, a year before.

I don't think the cash that flowed into Gaiden and the one that flew into PS2 and PS3 would have been the same. They were more likely milking the cow, going for a story that somehow featured Alis, only somewhere else to keep the Phantasy Star franchise going AND to strenghten the position of the Game Gear... Still, they were working to strenghten the Genesis... if I remember correctly, the SNES came around 90-91. An extra reason to keep working on that, I think.
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

sticking it to the other one...

Postby Wing-0 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:36 am

I do agree with you that PSG didn't feel as good as PS1 to me, but eh... I still like it. However "bland" is not a word I'd use for describing it... It was more primitive if anything. But hey... Around that time, I was still playing Dragon Warrior 3 which had less colorful graphics, no animated monsters and so-so music by my personal standards...
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Postby Mono » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:49 am

If you think only about the games that were made exclusively for Game Gear, PSG surely stands out.

Now, if we start talking about PSA... :^P
SEGA owes me money!
Mono
Scorpius
Scorpius

you mean...

Postby Wing-0 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:05 am

Phantasy Star Adventure, the NON HENTAI visual novel?

Ya know, it's included in the PS Complete Collection, but I haven't touched it yet... Not much time to play, but I'm wanting to... I've loved Visual Novels since the day I played Snatcher... DAMN, am I glad I played that game...

Speaking of the PS Complete Collection... Any idea on how to capture good images from a PS2 hooking it onto a PC? Because this collection comes with a MASSIVE amount of hi-res illustrations. Official art, the manuals, even PS2 comes with its maps, and funny enough, since they can be viewed while playing, they helped me navigate Motavia, haha.

I'd like to make screencaps of the artwork included. It kicks so much ass.
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Postby paladinrpg » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:09 am

It really is some good art in there; I know a site or two with some low-res caps of the gallery, but I'm sure nowadays we could get a lot better quality if someone had the time.

Though couldn't it also be done with a PS2 emulator instead taking screencaps (PCSX2, but dunno if it is compatible)? Much easier than trying to setup vid capture directly from the system -- though I'd guess with a VGA or S-Video cable around it would work fine if you've got the hardware connections.

I will see if I can get a copy of the ps collection and try it out...
"Someone keeping information from me is the sixth most dangerous thing in this world!" -Alys
paladinrpg
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby MrKite » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:17 am

My Top 3:

1.II
2.III
3.I

I only played the 4th one years ago when I was at a relatives house on the Sega Channel, and I only played it once. The Sega Channel was also where I first played PSII.
MrKite
Locusta
Locusta

PreviousNext

Return to Phantasy Star