The PSIV manual's Great War

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

The PSIV manual's Great War

Postby BenoitRen » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:54 pm

Apparantly this text isn't widely available, and it's interesting, so here it is. It's a snippet from the PSIV manual where it explains the game's setting.

---

THE HUNTER'S QUEST

Two thousand years ago, in the Algol solar system, there was a war fit to end all wars. The civilization that emerged from the wreckage flourished and prospered, until the fateful day when Mother Brain --the central computer system on the planet of Palma-- exploded. Palma was destroyed, initiating the slow destruction of the same worlds that Mother Brain was built to protect. The ancient maintenance Bio-systems, which were built with the last great technological knowledge not lost in the war, began to break down. Their malfunctions released terrible monsters upon the worlds the systems were built to maintain and protect.

A caste of warriors known as Hunters emerged. They were mercenaries who specialized in exterminating the Bio-Monsters that plagued the simple cities and villages.

Our story begins on the world of Motavia, over two thousand years after the Great War. A young Hunter named Chaz is about to embark on his first assignment. He doesn't know it yet, but his adventure will take him beyond Motavia, and beyond history itself.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Black Waltz 0 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:59 pm

My cat crapped on my game manual, so I had to throw it away... :(
Check out my PS fanfics here!
The Phantasy Star fandom's resident yaoi manaic...
Black Waltz 0
Scorpius
Scorpius

Location: On a rocket hurtling through space at the speed of light.

Postby Amwhere » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:43 am

Hmmm. The "Great War" would be about the time of PS1, right? If it was before PS I - there's no sign of it, so civilization must have rebuilt in a hurry. If it was after PS I - what was it's casus belli? A great war on that magnitude would seem a bit to big just to gloss over.

And Palma wasn't destroyed by Mother Brain exploding - it was destroyed when Gaila crashed into it.

However, if the intro is, say, from a book written after PS IVs , things can make sense - since, at best, details of events millenia before would be hazy.

While PS 1 and Lassic's corruption wasn't a "Great War", per se, it likely did cause upheavals in Palman society. I know this doesn't really fit, but never does the existence of this war in the first place.

For the destruction of Palma, however, it's easier to explain. The real destruction of Palma and the destruction of Mother Brain happened about the same time. It would be simple for both to be merged together in legend.
Amwhere
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Mizerith » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:42 am

Nice find. Thank you for that. :)
Mizerith
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Starman.EXE » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:55 pm

Thank you!

I still own my booklet from the game. Despite it lacks a cover now. It's all raggy and has been written in also.
Starman.EXE
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby skymandr » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:33 pm

You know, it would be neat to make an archive of all those manuals for the benefit of phans and posterity. I think I'll start scanning the PS2 guidebook this weekend...
skymandr
Scorpius
Scorpius

Um.. Wolfgang already scanned it

Postby Lord Khyron » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:39 pm

I believe he has it on his page somewhere.

If not his, it has been scanned and exists on the net somewhere.
~Ima Ga Sono Toki Da!"
~Imagination and memory are the same thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Lord Khyron
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:41 pm

There was a site that had the PSII hintbook scanned, yes. But it disappeared about two years ago. Shame.
BenoitRen

Postby Black Waltz 0 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:34 pm

Has anybody got the scanned PS Compendium? Just curious? :)
Check out my PS fanfics here!
The Phantasy Star fandom's resident yaoi manaic...
Black Waltz 0
Scorpius
Scorpius

Location: On a rocket hurtling through space at the speed of light.

Postby thriwren » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:35 pm

skymandr wrote:You know, it would be neat to make an archive of all those manuals for the benefit of phans and posterity. I think I'll start scanning the PS2 guidebook this weekend...
The only manual I have is for Phantasy Star on the Master System. I might get around to scanning that here in the nest few weeks. Also, when the Sega channel was around I had tried to had copy the PSIV manual, but got bored with it.
Thriwren - Lvl 140 - Fortegunner lvl 20
thriwren
King Rappy
King Rappy

Re: The PSIV manual's Great War

Postby zio_falz » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:10 am

They are referencing The Great Collapse, where Motherbrain ceased to function and 90% of Algol died, as that is what it is titled in-game.
zio_falz
Locusta
Locusta

Postby BenoitRen » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:24 pm

The Great Collapse did not take place 2000 years ago, and wasn't followed by a civilisation that propsered under Mother Brain.
BenoitRen

Postby Cherok » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:28 pm

I have a scanned Compendium from ages ago - I figured that it would also live on this site? Anyway, if you need it send me a note at traviswd a.t protonmail dotcom
Cherok
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Doctor Hooves » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:24 pm

It’s a shame that SEGA never gave us much more Phantasy Star lore and just sorta left the classic series on the shelf. Even if there isn’t too much of it, stuff like this is very interesting to read.
Doctor Hooves
Blastoid
Blastoid

Return to Phantasy Star