Has anyone else here tried this?

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

Has anyone else here tried this?

Postby Redeemer » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:07 am

Right now I am going through PSII again, never beat it before as I never really had the time, but now that I play it emulated on the go, I have the time whenever.

So now what im doing is trying to go through all of PSII with just Rolf. Gonna go through it all and keel everything.

Anyone else done this? If so, what were some of your methods of survival other than leveling up a good number. I still have to level up in Climatrol, as currently, a level 16 Rolf on his own is not capable of owning Neifirst :(
Once I was Valis Warrior, and then the Redeemer. But now, I am back, with 7 years experience to my belt here.
Redeemer
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Black Waltz 0 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:03 am

Kind of unrelated because I'm mentioning a different game, but when I'd play through Shining Force II if a character died they'd stay dead, forever. I went through the whole game on super mode without ever asking the priest for a revive.

Peter and Lemon were the only characters I couldn't help but revive, on account of them being phoenix and vampire and rising from the dead themselves. Those jerks.
Check out my PS fanfics here!
The Phantasy Star fandom's resident yaoi manaic...
Black Waltz 0
Scorpius
Scorpius

Location: On a rocket hurtling through space at the speed of light.

Postby Thanatos » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:26 pm

I did it long ago, when I first got the game, because I didn't KNOW to go back home and discover new allies... that's why I always failed against Neifirst too. I think the incredible difficulty of gaining necessary levels was what killed PSII for me, because it seemed like all games were like that. I don't think I've 'ever' beaten the Dark Force of PSII without some cheat device [or at least the visiphone to drop me in front of it again and again]
Thanatos
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Sir Nicholas » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:56 pm

I've done it. You need the Visiphone. And a healthy load of Trimate.

Neifirst, just sell everything you're not equipped with and load up on Trimate. Then use Nafoi til you run out of TP. Then just attack. That should be sufficient. Oh, and obviously heal when your HP gets low. And upgrade to optimum equipment. If you haven't already.
http://myspace.com/tablefiveo
http://youtube.com/watch?v=j8HhYdjxf0Q
Both starring me. Kinda.
ALL YOUR DEMI ARE BELONG TO US.
Sir Nicholas
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Miraglyth » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:09 pm

I recall it being done by someone on GameFAQs years ago.
Miraglyth
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Mister Death » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:14 pm

is this with maps? i think i could finish the game with just Rolf if I had maps, but it would still take me months to level up. if i had to find my way around the goddamn Menobe on my own as well, i'd be there for a year.
Eusis saves!
Mister Death
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby H Hog » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:39 am

I saw a Youtube video just a couple days ago of someone fighting Neifirst with Rolf Alone in Phantasy Star Generations 2 (the Playstation 2 remake).
The guy pretty much healed with a Trimate every other turn. =P

(EDIT: Ah, here it is: http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=oAC1RK0aAsk )
Strong or weak, all that matters to me is whether or not you're flammable.
H Hog
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Lord Khyron » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:33 am

Your game will have a 95% chance of failure later on..

Why? The randomness of stats can screw you. I've gotten a Rolf who only had enough TP for 1 megid.

He got low single level ups and on ever 4th level, where a SUPER level happens, he didn't get it.

The 4th level gets a chance to double your stats.. Aka if you get 3 STr, you'll gain 6 instead.

IT is random which one raises.. So you can get screwed.
~Ima Ga Sono Toki Da!"
~Imagination and memory are the same thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Lord Khyron
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Dorrinal » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:18 pm

It's very boring. Even with Rolf at level 50 the battles take too long. And you'd be surprised to see how often he misses with that sword! That said I could never fight my way through the Noah, even though I used some sort of cheat (game genie, whatever) to level.
Dorrinal
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Lord Khyron » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:56 pm

I just played Ps2 on the GBA and well..

By level 5, Rolf gained 5 Tp total. 5!

Even the super level up didn't raise it more.

Seriously, If that is the stat growth, one Rolf mode is insane.

Not to mention Nei got 1 tp, 2 tp, 1 tp, 2 tp, 2 Tp x.x
~Ima Ga Sono Toki Da!"
~Imagination and memory are the same thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Lord Khyron
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:14 pm

Nei was never much of a Technique user. But she levels up twice as fast.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby IndispensablePeaGuy » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:21 pm

Dorrinal wrote:It's very boring. Even with Rolf at level 50 the battles take too long. And you'd be surprised to see how often he misses with that sword! That said I could never fight my way through the Noah, even though I used some sort of cheat (game genie, whatever) to level.

The Man says it's boring.

Now move along, lads.
IndispensablePeaGuy
King Rappy
King Rappy

Re: Has anyone else here tried this?

Postby zio_falz » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:07 am

I have. On the Genesis version, not Sega Ages. A Rolf only run is totally possible, and not too difficult.
To be fair though, I did exploit the bugs in the game at times:
The "pacifist mode"where you can avoid random battles if you open/close the menu with each step.
And the item duplication trick where you choose one item, cancel, then goto the 2nd page of your inventory to the top page select square, and press B&C together, and choose to give that item to your self. Whatever the first item in your inventory is, will be replaced by the item you selected and cancelled out from. Great for taking a bunch of antidotes, and transforming them into star mist, moon dew, or expensive items you can sell.

Rolf gets 4x the EXP. Worth it. Grinding is actually minimized this way too.
zio_falz
Locusta
Locusta

Return to Phantasy Star