Phantasy Star 2 sucks.

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

Phantasy Star 2 sucks.

Postby IndispensablePeaGuy » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:25 pm

Yeah, that's right: it sucks balls. Whoever disagrees can kiss my fat, hairy arse. If you think that this game is fun and a classic, you need your head examined -- the game is boring.

Why is this game so great? The dungeons look dull and uninteresting, and on top of that, every time you take a couple of steps, a battle ensures. And I hate the battle mode -- it looks crappy compared to the first game. What's with the grid? Why is it impossible to have a background of the dungeon?

The only redeeming feature of this game is this:

But she alone isn't enough to save this grand pile of diarrhea.
IndispensablePeaGuy
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Edless » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:35 pm

Well, it will depend of course on your point of view.
To some people, Dungeons and Dragon could be even more boring than PSII (at best you'll have a fix picture representing what you are fighting, and then all is about dice throwing...) but I assume many would prove me wrong if I were to say that.

The fact is, a game could be worth playing because of it's game play but also because of what is left for the player to imagine and you are very right, in PSII, there is a lot of things left for the player to imagin.

The reason I like it is because of its end and because, without PSII, there would be no PSIV hehe

(Still I prefer PSII's ending rather than the IVth one)

PSII sucks because it has been remade with a fashion victimized style. (Rolf with flat-depresive hair, Nei with 5-years-old lolita fashion accessories (like a doll with no personnality or ability to fight..) and so on) hehehe
Edless
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby BenoitRen » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:19 pm

The dungeons look dull and uninteresting

Translation: I suck at them, they're too hard.
every time you take a couple of steps, a battle ensures

Translation: it's too difficult.
And I hate the battle mode -- it looks crappy compared to the first game. What's with the grid? Why is it impossible to have a background of the dungeon?

Why does it have to be a background of the area? It doesn't. It's just what most RPGs do. PSII chose a different design.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Black Waltz 0 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:57 pm

PSII may have huge complicated dungeons and a high encounter rate all the time, but...

Would you prefer tiny simplisitic dungeons and not enough monsters for a level grind?

I only ever got a chance to play it recently on emulation. I just upped the frama rate to speed up the game again (Like with III :wink: ), but I enjoy it for what it is. I rather like dark stories like PSII has.
Check out my PS fanfics here!
The Phantasy Star fandom's resident yaoi manaic...
Black Waltz 0
Scorpius
Scorpius

Location: On a rocket hurtling through space at the speed of light.

Postby Amwhere » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:19 pm

While I disagree with you - I'm not going to argue it with you (like someone else... *cough*). It's your opinion, and you have a right to it.
Amwhere
Locusta
Locusta

Hahaha..

Postby Lord Khyron » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:22 am

Good Ole Pea.. always trying to be annoying and troll..

If Pea doesn't see that the animated monsters and attacks kick the pants off of the BLINKING MONSTERS in FF 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, then well.. The Epileptic seizures from blinking monsters ruined his brain.
~Ima Ga Sono Toki Da!"
~Imagination and memory are the same thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Lord Khyron
Scorpius
Scorpius

Re: Phantasy Star 2 sucks.

Postby Eusis Landale » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:14 am

Peegai wrote:Why is this game so great?
The music, the character designs, the difficulty, the battle system.
These are why I enjoy it, I'd go into more detail but you wouldn't care anyway since all you're doing is trying to piss people off.
Eusis Landale
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby Redeemer » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:45 am

The game is somewhat bland in it's own respects, I will admit, but also remember this is a much older game. Sure, PS might have been more unique in it's system, but from what it sounds there wasn't as much. Please correct me if I am wrong, Ive seen pics, but sadly have not played it yet.

What it has instead is challenge, rather than an easy yet pretty experience. And as for a background, perhaps it helped save more space in turn for the dungeons and such, and perhaps it was a way of putting a bit of emphasis on the technological background of the game.

Those are my 3:45 am thoughts 8)
Once I was Valis Warrior, and then the Redeemer. But now, I am back, with 7 years experience to my belt here.
Redeemer
Locusta
Locusta

Postby BenoitRen » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:06 am

Amwhere wrote:While I disagree with you - I'm not going to argue it with you (like someone else... *cough*). It's your opinion, and you have a right to it.

I take issue with what you posted.

1. I have a name.
2. This is a message board, where people discuss things.
3. Your post amounts to "I disagree", which is not a good post. If you have an opinion, back it up. Tons of "I disagree" posts are not constructive.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby rodrigo » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:43 pm

Ps2 is one the best games ever. And Ps4 doesn´t make sense without it.

I love the dungeons and the battles. And the reason is because they are so difficult.

I am all for the challenge.

And I honestly think that Phantasy Star would not have so much success without it. Maybe we would not even have this forum... I know I would not be here...

rodrigo
rodrigo
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Sir Nicholas » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:13 pm

The challenge of PS2 made it fun. I had a good time tearing my hair out while struggling through Menobe or Ikuto. No lie.

I always love a challenge. And PS2 presents that. I once lost about a turn from beating Dark Force in the game, and I was really happy. I once played such an amazing game of Magic and wound up losing, I nearly cried, it was just such a good match. Hell, to this day that remains my favourite match. Incredible.

There's really very little point in a game I can beat while simultaneously cooking an omelette, mowing the lawn, talking on the phone, and taking a shower. How is that fun? I never understood how going into something KNOWING you're gonna win spectacularly is fun :S but I digress.

PS2 = Me love. You can argue all you want, but you either set this thread up for trolling or debating, and the latter is a favourite pasttime of mine.
http://myspace.com/tablefiveo
http://youtube.com/watch?v=j8HhYdjxf0Q
Both starring me. Kinda.
ALL YOUR DEMI ARE BELONG TO US.
Sir Nicholas
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Mister Death » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:37 pm

The dungeons look dull and uninteresting

i found them interetsing. there was a good mix of labs, machine centers, caves, ancient towers etc. that characterise the PS sci-fi/fantasy style. i could tell what everything was supposed to be, as long as i remembered it was all flat.

every time you take a couple of steps, a battle ensures

play PSG, then come back and say PS2 has a high random monster rate.

And I hate the battle mode -- it looks crappy compared to the first game. What's with the grid? Why is it impossible to have a background of the dungeon?

i think the grid is pretty. and at least you can see all of the monsters at once, they're proportionally correct compared to you and you can see yourself attacking them.
Eusis saves!
Mister Death
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Sir Nicholas » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:59 pm

No, I definitely think a battle background would be preferable. Just think how battles in places like the Nei dungeons or the dams would look :D
http://myspace.com/tablefiveo
http://youtube.com/watch?v=j8HhYdjxf0Q
Both starring me. Kinda.
ALL YOUR DEMI ARE BELONG TO US.
Sir Nicholas
Locusta
Locusta

Postby LaconianShot » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:10 am

Sorry Pea, I disagree. The game takes a little getting into-- it's rather slow to begin with-- but it's definitely worth it. Actually, what drew me into the game in the first place was how different it was from most other RPGs of its time. The premise is so far removed from what its contemporaries were doing at the time that a huge part of its appeal is in the originality of the game alone.

Personally, I like the gameplay and find it to be a challenge, and the dungeons are designed in such a way that you can't simply plunge through them without thinking.

But I think you're saying this in part to get a rise out of us. :D

y r u so meeen? : (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
The black queen chants
The funeral march,
The cracked brass bells will ring;
To summon back the fire witch
To the Court of the Crimson King.
LaconianShot
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Edless » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:00 pm

Anyway, would anyone create a forum still active 20 years after the first episode first launched if the game wasn't good.

So many references to PSII in the sequels is just the absolute proof PSII is an extraordinary game.

Without it you wouldn't be there and neither would I.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to say how good was that game ;)
Edless
Blastoid
Blastoid

Next

Return to Phantasy Star