Maybe Monomates taste like num nums! ^.^

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

Postby OnnaWren » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:24 pm

Monocromate, hehe! XD<p>No guesses as to what an "Onnamate" is, tho'... ;P<p>(don't strain yourselves too hard if you don't know the answer to that one; it's an in-thing of sorts...)
OnnaWren

Postby PSP » Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:10 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Siren</i><p>Hmm. I've never really thought about it, but what about a Telepipe?<p>I think Telepipes are pipes that you have to break open to transport you ...just one of my weird thoughts...<br></blockquote><p>Actually, they're ocarinas of sorts, hence the little tune heard when you use them in PS4. Escapipes confirm this in the Japanese version, as they're called 'Iguza Ocarinas', but I dunno what the telepipes are called offhand.<p>-Corey<p>
PSP

Postby Siren » Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:26 am

Yes, the Hidapipe tune (as well as the "pipe" suffix) also suggests that the Escapipe is an instrument, but a variation. PSI's flute is used to the same effect, and is also an instrument...<br>"Pipe" is used in the most musical sense possible.<p>PSO does not support this, as it seems that it is more of a warping "pipe."<p>Despite any facts, I was just explaining what I originally felt.
Siren

Postby Malakai » Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:19 pm

I've always thought of Monomate, Dimate and Trimate like sirums that you would either inject or 'absorb' directly into the respiratory system. The digestive system woulud be much too slow to circulate the medicine needed to heal something like a laser blast or a gushing cut wound.<p>Then the other 'pipes', that's always been a wierd concept to me, especially the hidapipe. I mean what, do you use a giant tube to hide yourselves from monsters? Or do you break open a telepipe and it takes you back to town in a teleport fahsion? Some imagination these guys had...
Malakai

Postby Gipper » Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:51 pm

The PSII Manual calls them "Potions", implying that they are taken orally in a liquid form. In laymans terms, that means a drink of some form.
Gipper

Postby ROMeo » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:25 pm

Not sure of what mono/di/tri mates are, but following general principles and the need to save space in a soldier's pack for ammo and other equipment, I'd say it's something closer to a nutrition bar.<p>The dews on the other side, having more drastic effects, are more likely shots like the drugs you give soldiers before going to the battlefield or extended flights.<p>As of perolymate, PS4 handles it as a cake. :)<br><p>[size=small][Edit by ROMeo on [TIME]1105831799[/TIME]][/size]
ROMeo

Postby Demon Child » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:39 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Malakai</i><p>Then the other 'pipes', that's always been a wierd concept to me, especially the hidapipe. I mean what, do you use a giant tube to hide yourselves from monsters? Or do you break open a telepipe and it takes you back to town in a teleport fahsion? Some imagination these guys had...<br></blockquote> I never really put much thought into the pipes, though I figure the hidapipe simply gave off a noise that only the monsters could hear and that they'd avoid at all costs. Kinda like how dogs will avoid things that give off a high pitched noise. O_o;
Demon Child

Postby Malakai » Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:24 am

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Gipper</i><p>The PSII Manual calls them "Potions", implying that they are taken orally in a liquid form. In laymans terms, that means a drink of some form.<br></blockquote><p>Hmmm, you know, I never read the manuals, maybe that's why I never thought of it that way...I would still think that the medicine could be poured over the wounds to make it act faster. I mean, if two VAN robots are blasting at you with those cannons they have you won't have much time to wait for healing! :~
Malakai

Postby LaconianShot » Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:30 am

Ah, the original manuals tend to be inaccurate. The GBA PSC manuals seem to be accurate, as they never once incorrectly refer to Monomates as "potions".<br>I'd assume that the creators of these games never intended us to debate their little plot holes. Let's face it... they just wanted a semi-interesting name instead of the unassuming "potion". Was the "ate" intended to denote Monomate as a salt? I doubt it.
LaconianShot

Postby Werefox » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:54 am

I always thought of them as injections. You inject them directly into the blood circulation, hence the fast effect they have. (Something similar to the adrenalin injenctions that alpinists sometimes use in emergencies)<p>Anyways, according to the pictures in the manual of the PSC (Saturn), they are liquids of some sort.<p>Malakai, I love your interpretation of the hidapipe. Just imagine...a giant pipe walking around in the landscape, or maybe four smaller pipes...hilarious.<p>[size=small][Edit by Werefox on [TIME]1105870548[/TIME]][/size]
Werefox

Postby Gipper » Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:51 pm

Just cause the manuals make mistakes doesn't mean everything is wrong. One would have to look at a Monomate/Dimate/Trimate to know for sure though. Since there are no images from PSII, PSIII, or PSIV to correlate this, we can. I don't know if PSO has pictures or even has them at all, as I've never played it, I dislike 3D graphics (exceptions made for Metroid, Doom, and sports games) and don't own a PS or an Xbox.
Gipper

Postby Benoit » Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:02 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Gipper</i><br>I don't know if PSO has pictures or even has them at all, as I've never played it, I dislike 3D graphics (exceptions made for Metroid, Doom, and sports games) and don't own a PS or an Xbox.<br></blockquote><br>PSO does have the 'mates, as well as the dews, but they're called atomizers.<p>Doom? That's not even 3D, it's fake. It's actually 2D used in layers.<p>PS2 or XBox? The PS2 doesn't have PSO. But the GameCube does, though. :D<br><p>[size=small][Edit by Benoit on [TIME]1105891370[/TIME]][/size]
Benoit

Postby Gipper » Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:09 pm

Yes, yes, I know that Doom is 2D in layers. But so is every video game techincally. And I could have sworn that PSO was on either XBOX or PlayStation 2. I could be wrong(wouldn't be the first time, or last)though. And are they called MonoAtomizers?<br><p>[size=small][Edit by Gipper on [TIME]1105891794[/TIME]][/size]
Gipper

Postby ROMeo » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:20 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Gipper</i><br>And are they called MonoAtomizers?<br>[size=small][Edit by Gipper on [TIME]1105891794[/TIME]][/size]<br></blockquote><p>Moon Atomizer, Sol Atomizers, etc... just substitute "dew" for "atomizer"
ROMeo

Postby LaconianShot » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:22 am

<blockquote>Just cause the manuals make mistakes doesn't mean everything is wrong</blockquote> <br>Oh, I agree. I was talking in terms of the small mistakes that the manuals tended to make.
LaconianShot

PreviousNext

Return to Phantasy Star