The true ending of PSII. (spoilers)

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

Postby LaconianShot » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:47 pm

The Great Collapse would explain the moutain in which Seed is contained.<br><blockquote>This makes sense considering MB's and the Earthmen's intentions, and so goes along with the idea that Seed didn't help with repopulating the planet.</blockquote> <br>Then how do we explain the name Birth Valley? Can we attribute it to mere legend?
LaconianShot

Postby AlysBrangwin » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:18 pm

<blockquote><br>It's possible that the land has changed in those 1000 years, causing the mountain to appear. That would explain it partly. :)<br></blockquote><p>I for one figured that with the land changing due to the lack of MB a rapid global warming type event happened (since MB was no longer there to control the temps., weather etc,, Motavia quickly returned to being a desert planet.) and perhaps some large chunks of Noah hit the surface of Motavia. Both of which have the ability to drastically change the landscape of the planet.... <p>The arguement that in PSII, Zema wasn't located by the Biosystem doesn't hold water in my eyes since I was just playing PS1 the other night on my GBA and I believe I saw Uzo being in the middle of the desert, but it's an island later on. That's one of the reasons behind my DataMemory Banks and Cloning data theory. They recall there being cities of those names, but since they (the towns) no longer existed due to the changes on the surface, they (the people) just popped up a new town by the same name somewhere on the planet.<br>
AlysBrangwin

Postby Siren » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:28 pm

<blockquote>Then how do we explain the name Birth Valley? Can we attribute it to mere legend?</blockquote> <p>Explained, simply.<p> <blockquote><i>Originally posted by me...*cough*</i><br>Perhaps Birth Valley was a facility where animals (much like what were bred for agricultural use and environmental balance in PSII) were engineered. While the humans may not originate from there, if they saw all manners of animals coming out of a mouth of a cave, they could understandably fabricate that Birth Valley was where all life started.</blockquote><p>This may give some support.<p> <blockquote><i>From the Phantasy Star Compendium</i><br>Seed's assignment in Algol's environment maintenance system was to balance the ecosystem with the birth of a lifeform suited to the environmental changes.</blockquote> <p>Now, most obviously this is talking about Rika, but do you think this could include bio-engineering animals to balance the ecosystem, as the Biosystems once did in PSII? Seed's bioplant must certainly have a second function, for all of its size.
Siren

Postby Lord Khyron » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:26 am

According to the Memorial Drama CD..<p>Seed made many Nei type Numans to work in concealed Silver domes manufacturing various objects. They were designed as weapons, fighters and soldiers..<p>Nm-2011 faces off against Nm-1159(Nei in the CD)<p>So.. I think Seed had an alterior motive to making Rika..
Lord Khyron

Postby Malakai » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:12 am

I don't the intentions were ever "Mother-Brain" oriented. Rika had a pure heart.
Malakai

Postby Lucid » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:18 am

I like that the ending is vague and leaves alot of room open for interpretation. The ending is whatever each individual imagines and/or wants it to be. Personally I had a different interpretation of what happened at the end. To each his/her own.
I will make sure that my brother died not in vain!
Lucid
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Malakai » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:17 pm

And that's what japanese storytelling is all about.
Malakai
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Mister Death » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:31 am

i agree, i think it was open to interpretation.
i personally think there would have been a heroic last stand in which the party somehow sacrificed themselves to relieve the Earthmen of their control over Algol. i don't think with their power levels, the party could have taken out thousands of enemies at once. Megid would have taken down a thousand or so, but it drains your TP really damn fast and eventually kills you in the process. If I remember correctly, you cant even use Hinas/Ryuka, and I don't think the Neisword would have let them use it to escape the battle. They may have used Megid to destroy the ship, ala the ending to PS3, but without Grantz they wouldn't have got out in time to save themselves. The speeches the party make at the end suggests they don't expect to survive the encounter either - Hugh in particular 'you have shown me the ugliness of continued existence'.
Eusis saves!
Mister Death
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby LegoMuskCat » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:23 am

I love how Lutz teleports the missing members of your party to Noah, and then leaves them all there to die. ;o

Lutz's voice: "Rolf, be a dear and kill all those bad men for me. <3"
Rolf: "Wha?"
*rest of the party appears*
Rolf: "... We're going to die, aren't we?"
Lutz's voice: "Yes, for the sake of the Algo's future! Have fun!"
LegoMuskCat
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Mister Death » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:51 pm

couldn't he have sent a couple back to Motavia to help the survivors after the collapse of civilisation? Amy could certainly have healed a lot of them, Hugh could have helped, Anna seems like a motivational speaker and well-loved protector who could have lessened the widespread panic, and the combat monsters could have had a good time on Noah without them. maybe it would have been too big a collapse for them to make much difference though... i'm sure Lutz had his reasons, he is a thousand year old wizard.
Eusis saves!
Mister Death
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Del_Ian » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:10 pm

Except that Rolf & co were sent to Gaila for being terrorists, and then blamed for the destruction of Palma. Even if they survived the encounter with the Earthmen, the instant they set foot in any town on Motavia, they'd be shot dead by a populace caught in the grip of panic who knows only to blame *them* for destroying 1/3 of Algol and shutting down Mother Brain, who they know only as the provider of everything they need. If anybody remembered them later who wasn't an Esper and thus could have learned the truth from Lutz, it would have been only as hated terrorists worthy of the same loathing as might be given to Lassic, if anyone remembered him.

Yet another aspect of why PSII is the most godforsakenly depressing game ever made. You fight to save a populace that largely doesn't realise they need to be saved, and who will hate you until the day they die.

Ouch.
Rawr.
Del_Ian
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Lord Khyron » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:13 pm

What's even worse is.. Lutz doesn't want you to survive.

Sure, he could have sent them all back and avoided the Earthmen. After all, Mother Brain and Dark Force were gone. Parma was gone!

The last of the Landeel bloodline was with Eusis. Since no one rememberd Alisa, Lutz just decided to get rid of the problem in general.

He also wanted to spare the companions the raping/murder/massacre when they returned.

Lutz could then go back and sleep in peace while Algo was saved. He didn't give a damn about Mota and Dezo. He only woke up to save Rolf so Rolf could do his dirty work.

Lutz never cared for Rolf, he was a tool.
~Ima Ga Sono Toki Da!"
~Imagination and memory are the same thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Lord Khyron
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Mister Death » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:05 am

of course he gives a damn about mota and dezo, dezo is where his hibernation chamber is and mota being destroyed would probably damage dezo in the explosion. if you can get a starship between them relatively quickly, they cant be that far apart.

he needed rolf + co. to fight mother brain anyway, he couldnt have taken on mother brain on his own... even if he is an extremely powerful esper who can resurrect people, he probably can't auto-resurrect himself in the middle of battle, also, espers in general seem to be physically weak, especially after waking up from thousand year cryogenic freezing.

not really relevant, but the idea of the humans being the guilty party reminds me of the attitude of other races to humans in PSU...
Eusis saves!
Mister Death
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Lord Khyron » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:08 am

Lutz sent Rolf to his death, Plain and simple.

No way around it. With that act, he also destroyed the last of the Landeel bloodline.
~Ima Ga Sono Toki Da!"
~Imagination and memory are the same thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Lord Khyron
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Lucid » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:11 am

The way I took it nobody survived. That includes both the Earthmen and Rolf & Co. Somebody referenced the ship exploding in PSIII, I thought about that too. Megido is a tricky technique. If an individual is feeling a tremendous amount of rage it can inadvertantly trigger it and it's destructive powers can be immense... not just killing your enemies, but the entire building and surrounding area. This was made apparent in PSIII endings.

In fact the last thing you see is Rolf standing there looking pretty pissed off... and then a flash... then nothing.

Just my interpretation
I will make sure that my brother died not in vain!
Lucid
Locusta
Locusta

PreviousNext

Return to Phantasy Star