Proof that The Old Man is not Myau

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

Postby Starlight » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:24 am

People are thinking way too much about it. The only beast shown in the series ever eating the nuts/berries was Myau. Myau is obviously respected, due to saving the algo(l) solar system from Lassic with Alis and co., so of course, after so many centuries, he would be refered to as "the Old Man." Not to mention he fought with the silver tusk, which the Old Man had.<p>It is never written that Myau had offspring. The Old Man IS Myau. Who else could it be? Why would the makers of sega try to intentionally confuse players of Phantasy Star over something so obvious, and place an unimportant winged-beast muskat character, who bears likeness to Myau, but isn't? <p>I have to disagree with the opposing argument. It just isn't strong enough.
Starlight

Postby Lord Khyron » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:56 am

Eh.. Benoit's GAME QUOTE proves the Old Man is not myau.<p>So does the compendium. <p>Why the hell would Myau hand down a tusk to himself generation after generation?<p>Is he fucking senile? LOL<p>[size=small][Edit by Lord Khyron on [TIME]1113443819[/TIME]][/size]
Lord Khyron

Postby Starlight » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:43 am

Are you sure? It really does day that? Then... who is he?
Starlight

Postby Shell Presto » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:04 am

Isn't it kinda normal for a clan of anything, even of muskcats, to have a leader?<p>One muskcat each generation, much like lutz handing down his memories, has the ability to grow wings upon eating a laerma nut. This is the leader. He gets the silver tusk.<p>There were always more muskcats than myau. I believe somewhere in the compendium, they write that after he becomes a hero muskats become popular pets. <p>Also, why can't the laerma tree still be there thousands of years later!?! It's a fantasy game. This is the cool stuff that makes it a fantasy. How would a tree with nuts and leaves (which can grow and die and grow back), live in the icy temperatures of Dezolis? The water in the tree would freeze! But... it's a fantasy. It can happen. And I think a tree that lives in those conditions can certainly live 1,000 years or more.<p>So I think the Old Man is a descendant of Myau.
Shell Presto

Postby Starlight » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:34 pm

Interesting... <p>Wow. Who would have thought? I'm definitely surprised. <p>
Starlight

Postby Zubon » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:42 pm

Not to mention: The nuts of the tree aren't just to make muskats grow wings - they're for the tree to reproduce in some way. So if it has nuts and stuff then it would have offspring. Secondly you buy the Silver Tusk from a shop - so it's hardly some unique thing.<p>On the other hand (never having played PS4 (check the sig) I can't comment, though I think Starlight is 100% correct saying:<br>
Why would the makers of sega try to intentionally confuse players of Phantasy Star over something so obvious, and place an unimportant winged-beast muskat character, who bears likeness to Myau, but isn't?
<p>(Though, "the makers of sega"!? :p)<p>Having said that, if it's stated overtly that it isn't Myau, by official sources, then who am I to argue? :)<br><p>[size=small][Edit by Zubon on [TIME]1113518699[/TIME]][/size]
Zubon

Postby Gipper » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:26 pm

We can't know for sure...the fact that the Elysdon shows dead heroes from previous PS games (and Alys) still leads me to believe that Myau is not the Old Man. Why would it show 12 dead people and 1 living person...it makes no sense. Then there is the fact that, as Benoit said, the Silver Tusk that the Old Man gives to Rika says that it has been passed down through generations. Obviously Myau can't pass it down to himself. Third, some indirect evidence exists that Laerma Trees exist still. If you look at the Wood-Cane that Rune has at the start of the game, you see that it is made of Laerma Wood. We know that Rune is from Dezolis. As the Fifth Lutz, I doubt that he would use a weapon amde from 2,000 year old wood. We also know that there is no way that Alis, Rolf, or Chaz&their groups saw ALL of Dezolis. Rolf's and Chaz's groups never went to the Altipanian Plateau (spelling?), and we don't know if Alis saw all of it either...there could be other Laerma Trees. Said trees could bear nuts that the Old Man of the Musk Cat village eats to grow large, possibly some mutant varieties that have permanant effects. There isn't any real evidence of any kind, however, that the Old Man is Myau.
Gipper

Postby Zubon » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:34 pm

I'll see about it when I actually play the game! ;)
Zubon

Postby Malakai » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:17 am

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Gipper</i><p>. Third, some indirect evidence exists that Laerma Trees exist still. If you look at the Wood-Cane that Rune has at the start of the game, you see that it is made of Laerma Wood.... There isn't any real evidence of any kind, however, that the Old Man is Myau.<br></blockquote><p>Ok, first prove to me that the wood-cane that Rune uses is made of Laerma Wood. Your claim is based off a personal opinion that you try and convince others of sharing when you have no concrete evidence that what you are saying is fact. How can you possibly make such comment when your argument substance is made of mush. Going along with that, there isn't real evidence that the Old Man ISN'T Myau, aside from that single text reference which doesn't really prove anything. He says it has been passed down through the generations, but he never mentions descendants. I might be spitting into the wind, but I want PROOF, which is the title of this thread.
Malakai

Postby Dorrinal Blackmantle » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:55 pm

Actually, this thread has it backwards. No one has to prove that he isn't Myau.<p>It is not stated anywhere in PS4 that the Old Man is Myau. Therefore the burden of proof is on those who believe that he is Myau.<p>So bring your arguments and they will be discredited and disproved like they have been in the other threads on this site and many other web forums for years.<p>The Old Man is not Myau. Get over it. :)
Dorrinal Blackmantle

Postby Benoit » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:31 pm

<blockquote>Ok, first prove to me that the wood-cane that Rune uses is made of Laerma Wood.</blockquote><br>The way he worded it, it could be that it's on the description of the weapon. He's not making it up.<br> <blockquote>Going along with that, there isn't real evidence that the Old Man ISN'T Myau, aside from that single text reference which doesn't really prove anything.</blockquote><br>Why doesn't it prove anything? The weapon has been passed down. The original owner is Myau. Logic then dictates that the Old Man is not Myau.<p>Likewise, there's nothing saying that he didn't have any descendants.
Benoit

Postby Gipper » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:22 pm

There is proof. Use the "look" command on the two items. The Wood-Cane says it is made of Laerma Wood. The Sliver Tusk says it has been passed down through generations. If the game is wrong, then what point is there to this discussion?
Gipper

Postby Starlight » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:51 pm

But, wait a minute. I know I can be a ding bat at times :p but, when the game states "through generations" does it necessarily mean Myau's generations, per se? I mean, the game could just be talking about Chaz and co., how they are the next and last generation to save the world.<p>I still have a hard time thinking Sega would have the Old Man NOT be Myau. <br><p>[size=small][Edit by Starlight on [TIME]1113598328[/TIME]][/size]
Starlight

Postby Malakai » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:03 am

I stand corrected about the Wood-Cane. Thanks for ponting that out.<p>Now just to play devil's advocate - if the Old Man isn't Myau, who would it be, and why would he have wings? After the Air Castle was destroyed, there was no need for them anymore. Also, after the events of PSII it seems that the musk cats retreated to the safety of Mist Valley, hiding in that cave until you find them in PSIV. Not one Dezorian knows of their exsistence. So if they're in Mist Valley for that long, why in the world would a musk cat need wings? Or be 10x the size of the rest for that matter?
Malakai

Postby Starlight » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:18 am

Excellent points there, Malakai. Which brings me back to my original question, <p><i>why</i> would the makers of sega try to intentionally confuse players of Phantasy Star and place an unimportant winged-beast muskat character, who bears likeness to Myau, but <i>isn't</i> Myau?<p>There are no other answers to who the Old Man would be, if he isn't Myau. If he isn't important, then why would he be be so important to the other muskcats in Mist Valley? That one cute muskcat was trying to impersonate him.<p>If the Old Man was indeed such an important character in the PS 4 storyline, it would have been explained who he was HAD he NOT been Myau.<p>And just as I've said, "generations" could simply be implying the generations of the heroes of Algo(l).<p>Therefore, ergo, just as I've said, the Old Man IS indeed Myau.<br><p>[size=small][Edit by Starlight on [TIME]1113808761[/TIME]][/size]
Starlight

PreviousNext

Return to Phantasy Star