What's your PSII party?

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

Re: What's your PSII party?

Postby QuickSciFi » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:36 am

Boy, did Kain seem like a drag at first (I'm talking about all the way to level 20 or so). But it was worth it at the end against Mother Brain. I just beat the game with Rolf/Anna/Rudo/Kain.

Before Neifirst:

Rolf/Nei/Rudo/Amy (Which, imo, is the most aesthetically-pleasing bunch; since it's the most colorful party as you tread the plains of Mota).

also...

What's up ya'll. I'm new. :D
QuickSciFi
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby Shen-FN-Woo » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:40 pm

My final team winds up being

Rudo: He's a must have. I'd dare say that he's everyone's default choice. Dealing as much damage if not more or a little less than the main character while taking damage without dying is the best feature any character could have in Pstar2.

Amy: I pick her also for consistency. While others say she has poor agility, I say I can always count on her to heal everyone AFTER they took the big damage. There's a usefulness in always being either first or last to do something, no matter what it is.

Kain: High damage machine techniques and a wannabe Rudo. All's fine with this guy.

Reserve:

Anna: I don't know what's wrong with a character that can use shift (attack up I believe in this game, and she's the only one with it too).

I do believe I've beaten the game with everyone save Hugh and MAYBE Shir. It's not that I have a problem with either one of them, even though yeah, they're both pretty shitty attackers, but it's because I didn't feel like ever grinding their levels to be in a worthy state to face MB.
Want content from me? Find it here - http://counterchaos.freeforums.org/index.php
Shen-FN-Woo
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Moondust » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:20 am

Just registered to reply to this:)

It's funny people always tend to see Shir as a useless charachter. After the Neifirst battle she's always a permanent member in my party.
Having her around for the boss fights makes things much easier, I think.

To me Amy is way overrated. Yes she has all the healling techniques and boost techniques.
But like others said there are items to replace all those and how many times is she capable of casting Nasar? Not that many.
So Snow Crown for Deban, Color Scarf for Saner, Starmists for Nasar, Moondew for Rever and of course Trimates. What is there left for her to do?
Add to that she is the slowest charachter in the game which means she's always last in the attack order. That can be very frustrating
when someone needs instant healing.

Now why should you pick Shir? She is the fastest one in the game. Around level 45/47 she'll be faster than Dark Force and Mother Brain. having her
carry the medical supplies plus the Snow Crown and Color Scarf will make her a high speed Amy. She'll be able to attack and use the Snow Crown before the Mother Brain and Dark Force strike in the first round.For the rest of the fight you can put her on healing duties. And when she doesnt need to heal let her cast Nazan. It'll do around 100 point damage and sometimes even 120 (which is about the same as Rudo's Neishot).
I know she has low TP (she'll probably be able to cast Nazan 8 times), but it'll be enough.

So my party from the dams onwards is always Rolf, Shir, Rudo and Kain

BTW is it true that the Laconian Dagger low damage is a bug, or was it intentionally done? If it's a bug that really tragic since
Shir would've been much, much more powerfull. Unequpped her attack power isn't that much lower than Kain's.
Moondust
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby Snorb » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:54 am

The Laconia Daggers are bugged- PSGen2 greatly reduces the Defense rating on them in exchange for improving the Attack.
Snorb
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Dorrinal » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:38 am

It doesn't matter if the Laconia Dagger is bugged. The damage items (Wind Scarf, etc.) do as much damage as one of the melee weapons to enemies with low armor. On high-armor enemies, including the bosses, a Gizan does more damage than even 2x Laconia Maces. Shir is pretty awesome for a quick Snow Crown, though.

Here's my summary from the last time this topic came up: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2221&p=40054#p40054
Dorrinal
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Lucid » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:58 am

Rolf & Rudo mainstays, use Anna most of the time too. Decent damage to all enemies without TP and decent support techs, before you find items that do the same. And damage is consistent regardless of enemy group. I'd rather just level her up than swap Kain/Hugh in & out depending on the enemy group. Kain against droids and for the end run is very useful, so I level him up a bit. Amy if I think I need a healer, but from the time I get Gires items I usually don't use her until the very end. I like that she acts last against the bosses to heal my party up for the next round (Megid packs a wallop).

Hugh doesn't leave the house, and Shir only to steal a Visiphone & a few Star Mists.
I will make sure that my brother died not in vain!
Lucid
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Moondust » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:18 pm

Dorrinal wrote:It doesn't matter if the Laconia Dagger is bugged. The damage items (Wind Scarf, etc.) do as much damage as one of the melee weapons to enemies with low armor. On high-armor enemies, including the bosses, a Gizan does more damage than even 2x Laconia Maces. Shir is pretty awesome for a quick Snow Crown, though.

Here's my summary from the last time this topic came up: http://www.pscave.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 054#p40054

The party choice I guess has also a lot to do with the overal level of the character. Low leveled parties (say around level 30) I think I would have a different party then 45+.
I'm not sure Gizan does more damage then 2 x LacMaces. It's damage is 30 per enemy I believe? 2x LacMAce can kill certain low armored enemies like those apes and rabbits in one round.
Moondust
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby Edge » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:46 pm

Rolf - I'd switch em out if I could, he's OP...
Rudo - I'd switch em out if I could... Without em we're dead X_X
Shir - SHE STEALS STUFF, C'mon man, this chic is from the hood, YOU KNOW she's helpful!
Hugh/Amy/Anna/Kain/Nei - When Nei dies, Kain takes her spot through out the dams, when the dams die, Anna assists me in finding the towns on Dezo, when I go after the Nei Equipment, I need Amy around to heal the party and keep us strong, when I'm ready to kick it with Lutz an head on down... Hugh's time to shine using items I've found from the dams and the dezo dungeons. He hits all enemies like Anna via items, and his magic isn't completely useless either.
I've traveled back in time... 300 years... Just to call you a "Cracker"!
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby myau56 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:35 pm

I'll not be very original as I'll say : Rolf-Rudo-Anna-Amy !:)
I have just finished the game once (I'm in my second time) but I'm sure that at the end of the game this team will be mine ! But Why not play it another time later with other characters ? I think I'l try it.
Sure that the Rolf/Rudo base team is impossible not to put on the way !
myau56
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Rulakir » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:07 pm

Post Climatrol,

Rolf (obviously)
Rudo (he's a tank and his guns hit hard)
Kain (for the dams, his mech killing techs are hardcore, and he's good with a laser gun too)
Anna (Because her slasher hits multiples)

I usually swap out Kain for Hugh once I hit Dezo because his instant death techniques are useful and he does well as a part time healer.
Rulakir
Locusta
Locusta

Postby RolfNeiRudoUgly » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:53 pm

Rolf
Rudo
Anna
Amy

I prefer Anna over Kain because Anna has the highest agility in the game and will always get first priority in a fight. So if there's multiple enemies of the same type, the slashers will get in some decent damage right off the bat. If it's going to be a grindy battle, then I can make Anna use the Snow Crown so the party is protected before the enemy has a chance to respond. Her ability to always go first makes her extremely useful even though she is somewhat weaker in terms of damage out put. Basically, Anna allows you to size up a battle and prepare for it a little bit better. She can also wear 3 of the Nei items.

Amy is always a good pick because I don't want Rolf and Rudo to waste an attack phase by healing themselves. Also, Amy's "Sar" technique is very useful, along with "Rever" which she learns relatively early and "Anti." I load up all 4 characters with Trimates and eventually pass them onto Amy as her stock runs short. When she isn't healing, I can set her to "Storm Gear" so she'll at least cast "Zan" for free, which even late in the game becomes extremely useful since it deals 30 points of damage against all enemies on screen.
RolfNeiRudoUgly
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby bragatyr » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:26 pm

Mine is also Rolf, Rudo, Anna, and Amy. I like healers, Rudo's pretty much a must, and I just didn't get the impression Kain and Hugh were that useful at that point.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Bragatyr/videos My Youtube page, with random retro video game covers.
bragatyr
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby fogeltje » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:37 pm

Rolf and Rudo always used to be the pillars of any party. Pre-Nei-first that meant I could take only one other with me at any given time. I utilized Kain in the latter stages to build him up since his techs are useful in Noah and against DF and MB. I never really bothered with Hugh until I discovered just how devastating Vol and Savol can be. True, only works on biomonsters, but it turned out to be a nice thing while looking for the Nei items.

By distributing the "Gires-items" amongst my active party and the Storm Gears (Gizan), it's also possible to turn worthless attackers into something semi-useful. I walked around Dezoris with Rolf, Anna, Amy and Shir. Amy and Shir wielded dual Emels but used Storm Gear to attack, Anna had dual Slashers and was the fourth party member to take the heat of her. Worked quite well. When Hugh is in the party, he gets a Storm Gear (unless I decide to take Hugh, Amy and Shir at the same time, in that case I don't know what I'm going to do...probably let Shir use her Wind Scarf which casts Zan). Kain gets the Laser Cannon. Prefer it over dual Lacon Mace and it makes him a stable factor, like Rudo, as guns always do around the same amount of damage.

The nice thing about the Storm Gear (and Wind Scarf) in comparison to the regular techs? They hit ALL enemies, not just all enemies in one sub-group.

So, making use of my Gires and Gizan items I've found that any party can play through the game, but progress might be slower if you take Hugh, Amy and Shir and equip them defensibly (but their limited regular attack really is too weak and their higher defense will make much more difference).
fogeltje
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Doctor Hooves » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:21 pm

I like to mix it up all the time, but for the finale, Rolf, Rudo, Amy and Kain.
Doctor Hooves
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby etony33 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:28 pm

Beginning to Climatrol: Rolf/Nei/Rudo/Amy
Climatrol to Dezo: Rolf/Rudo/Kain/Amy
Dezo to finish: Rolf/Rudo/Anna/Amy
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

PreviousNext