Nei

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

Nei

Postby etony33 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:21 pm

Nei is the name of a character in Phantasy Star II. Nei is also the name of special equipment in both Phantasy Star II and III.

Anyone have a theory on this? Other than finding it a bit strange, I never really tried to come up with a reason.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Re: Nei

Postby MrStarbird » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:08 pm

This is where the split timeline theory comes into play.

Nei is an Esper word (possibly roughly translated to just "Power") that was once used as an enchantment for pieces of equipment. In the original timeline, a thousand years after Alis finished her quest, Dark Force was revived, but with no hero to take it down, it destroyed the planet of Palm. Some of the Espers on Palm fled on the spaceships, including the Alisa III where the events of Orakio and Laya's war played out. Note that in this timeline, Mother Brain did NOT exist and Rolf was just a simple agent. Nei also did not exist in this timeline.

Fast-forward to Aron's quest where, after defeating Dark Force (who says that he will return in 1000 years anyway), the Alisa III gets sucked into a black hole and transported to Earth thousands of years into the past. The Earthlings welcome the Alisa III. They see Aron as a God and develop their own fashion style after him. They learn from the Alisa III and develop their own interplanetary spaceships and eventually create the Mother Brain technology. Eventually, Dark Force returns, this time on Earth and ends up destroying that planet as well. Much like the exodus from Palma, Earthlings escape on spaceship(s) (Noah might not have been the only one to escape). Dark Force sneaks onboard Noah and corrupts the Earthlings there. This begins the split off of the main timeline, the one the events of Phantasy Star II and IV happen from.

The technology that the Earthmen learned from on the Alisa III held information on the Alisa III's homeworld. The earthmen flew to Algo to find 3 planets. They introduced the Mother Brain and, behind the scenes, introduced a research project to the Palmans of Motavia. Biomonster technology was already around, but this new research would bring forth a new race of people, a race more powerful than their own. The Biologist dubbed this the Nei project after the Esper word for Power.

Sorry I want into a tangent there, but based on the research and what information the games give, it is my conclusion that the Nei Items were created before the Nei creatures, but considering that it was the Word of Power, it is reasonable to assume that Nei was named after the word.
Last edited by MrStarbird on Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrStarbird
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby etony33 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:29 am

Hmm. Yeah, I am in line with the whole Aron/time warp thing (I actually came to that conclusion independently before reading about it)
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby myau56 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:09 pm

I've heard before about this split timeline theory and it's always interesting ! Thanks about sharing it with us :)
Me too I think it's a good one and can be effective in the PS timeline.
myau56
Locusta
Locusta

Postby zio_falz » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:27 am

MrStarbird wrote:This is where the split timeline theory comes into play.

Nei is an Esper word (possibly roughly translated to just "Power") that was once used as an enchantment for pieces of equipment. In the original timeline, a thousand years after Alis finished her quest, Dark Force was revived, but with no hero to take it down, it destroyed the planet of Palm. Some of the Espers on Palm fled on the spaceships, including the Alisa III where the events of Orakio and Laya's war played out. Note that in this timeline, Mother Brain did NOT exist and Rolf was just a simple agent. Nei also did not exist in this timeline.

Yet it is stated in PSII that Nei means "The human who is not a human."

Nobody mentions Espers in PS3.

Its likely someone, somehow, heard of the Nei Sword's great power and incorrectly assumed, Nei meant power.
zio_falz
Locusta
Locusta

Return to Phantasy Star