Silver Tusk and Psycho Wand...

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

Silver Tusk and Psycho Wand...

Postby Seiragos » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:40 pm

Hello! Hope everyone is doing well.

So, I've been getting caught in the endless abyss that is Phantasy Star lore, and being me, I tend to overthink things to the extreme. I just finished a playthrough of Phantasy Star Generation 1, and couldn't help but compare it to the original (which I have not played).

Now, from what I've gathered, the Silver Tusk and the Psycho Wand are legendary weapons in the classic series, originally wielded by Myau and Lutz, which are supposedly effective against Dark Falz.
Okay.
We have in PS4, where the Old Man is in possession of the Silver Tusk, and the Psycho Wand is retrieved in Ladea Tower.
Alright. Seems fine so far.

Now I have to wonder. In the English version, the Silver Tusk went by "Iron Fang", which was found in Iala Cave. This is perfectly fine, since it means it's one of a kind. But now we have the situation where the Psycho Wand, the most powerful weapon for Lutz, is bought in a store in Skure.
And the Silver Fang, which is also known as the Saber Claw, is also bought in a store. In Loar.

We have two supposedly legendary, unique weapons that were just bought off in some regular place. :think:

But since Myau and Lutz were part of the original Protectors, it makes sense that their best weapons would gain legendary status. The more confusing part for me now is why the Silver Fang (Saber Claw) didn't become Myau's treasured heirloom is PS4. It seems to be a far better weapon than the Iron Fang.

AND. ANNNND...please bear with me here.
In PS Gen 1, both their best weapons are not store bought. In fact, the Psycho Wand is found in a dungeon, which makes more sense to me if it was unique, and Myau's best weapon is actually the Golden Tusk. Not the Iron Fang. What gives? :lol:

So all in all, why is it that the Iron Fang (Silver Tusk) became Myau's iconic weapon, and not the Silver Fang (Saber Claw) or Golden Tusk? Seems to me that the whole Laconian weapons thing is reversed here, where it was super rare in PS1, but store bought in PS4, and the Iron Fang and Psycho Wand, which were store bought in PS1, are unique and rare in PS4.

Sorry for the weird rant. These are the things that keep me up at night.

What are your thoughts on this? I'd love to hear possible explanations/theories/etc.
Seiragos
Pinchant
Pinchant

Re: Silver Tusk and Psycho Wand...

Postby BenoitRen » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:48 pm

I haven't played the remake, but in the original, Myau's strongest weapon is the Silver Tusk, bought in Loar. Did the remake change that?
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Seiragos » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:33 am

Oh! I see!

The strongest weapon in the remake, with the latest translation version at least, is the Golden Tusk, which is found in Corona Tower.

All my information on PS1 comes from the wiki and Phantasy Star Cave itself. The weapons page for fangs lists only two: Iron Fang and Silver Fang. I guess the Silver Fang is supposed to be the Silver Tusk? It also says Silver Fang on the wiki.

Maybe it was just something that also got lost in translation?

Well, if you say that you bought the Silver Tusk in Loar, I'll take your word for it. :D

Still kinda weird that these ultimate weapons are store bought in the original. Sort of defeats the purpose of collecting all that Laconian gear. Oh well. :lol:
Seiragos
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby BenoitRen » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:35 pm

I completely forgot that it's called the Silver Fang in the original game, but Silver Tusk in Phantasy Star IV. I thought the name was the same in the English version.

Yup, if you keep a weapon for 2000 years, it gets magical properties. :)
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby zio_falz » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:58 am

Not only that, Alisa's Laconia Sword, is just a laconia sword. Easily procured. But somewhere between 1, II, and IV, it upgrades to the Neisword (their spelling) and then Elsydeon. Assumedly, per PSIV's explanation, that over time, the sword is imbued with the spirits of those who fought for Algol.
zio_falz
Locusta
Locusta

Postby etony33 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:08 pm

Laconia is a precious metal that is far from easy to procure. Just ask everyone who died in that gas leak or whatever it was on Dezo. #neverforget
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Return to Phantasy Star