My Playthrough of Phantasy Star 2

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

My Playthrough of Phantasy Star 2

Postby DarkMyau » Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:55 pm

Well I just beat Mother brain and the Algo star system is kinda saved.... Not really.
So heres my results:

Shure
I was surprised how quickly I beat this dungeon. No one died and I did it in 2 attempts. No real level grinding either.
Would have been 1 but I had the money for the shotgun and wanted it.
PARTY: ROLF, NEI, RUDO

Nido tower
One and done. Met one Blaster and he died quickly. Again no deaths and didnt grind at all.
PARTY: ROLF, NEI, RUDO

Biosystems Lab
*sigh* Amy is very squishy. Yet its Rudo that dies first! 100% my fault for not paying attention to his HP. 4th attempt was the winner with Amy dying 2 times and Nei once. (If someone dies I go back)
Didnt stop to grind here either.
PARTY: ROLF, NEI, RUDO, AMY

Ruron
First bit of grinding just to get here. After getting lost a few times I finally did it on the 3rd try. First Rolf death and everyone died at least once. Anna 3 times....
PARTY: ROLF, NEI, RUDO, ANNA

Uzo Island
Heavy grinding to get to lvl 15 all round. Got lost again and Nei, Rudo and Anna died again. 6 or 7 tries but honestly I was just grinding so 2 real ones.

Climatrol
Neifirst beat me quite easily the first time (She 1 shot Anna!) so went back to Uzo Island to grind lvl 16.
Took 4 attempts before Neifirst was finally beaten. 3 tries at lvl 15 and just one at lvl 16.

Control Tower
Remembered the map and did it easily first try. Kain gained levels quickly and could tank hits well so no one died.
PARTY: ROLF, RUDO, ANNA, KAIN

Red Dam
1st try. Enemies were quite easy and no one was ever in trouble
PARTY: ROLF, RUDO, ANNA , KAIN

Yellow Dam
2nd time was the charm. Did a bit of grinding and no one died.

Blue Dam
Did a bit of grinding, but not too much. Two atemptes and done. The machines here are annoying but no one died.

Green Dam
For a two level dungeon, I sure got lost alot lol. 4 tries and lost Anna once and Kain twice. Also was grinding a bit to be honest, thats when got Anna killed lol.
Knew the Army Eye fight was coming so set everyone to defence and waited for the enevitable.

Giara
Was able to run from every fight. Only blocked once.

Mota done!!!

Hugh hasnt left my house, Amy is lvl 8 and Shir is lvl 10 so she could steal.
DarkMyau
Scorpius
Scorpius

Re: My Playthrough of Phantasy Star 2

Postby DarkMyau » Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:42 pm

Skure Spaceport
Got a bit lost, but found my way to Aukba first, then Zosa and Naval lol.... Finally found the way to Ryuon. Was a bit worried about only being lvl 19, but found the monster easier than the mech's. The monsters also gave way more exp! (5 RabbitGuts game 3k exp!)

Crevice
Got lost once and Anna died... But found my way through and met Lutz. Argued with him about his name being Noah for an hour and reminded him that he had crap MP in PS1. Gave me back MY Prism (I was the one controlling the party that got it) and sent me on my way.

Guaron
Yes I know you do Menobe first, but I was here so why not. Got the Nei items fairly easily and stayed on the top floor to grind. WIth out the Healing items it would be impossible, but I did gain 3 levels per character and was happy enough to move on when Kain died.
Got very annoyed that Anna couldn't use the Nei Cape, but started to think about Amy.
I then debated if I should have Amy instead as Kain in the party as he didnt do much and a healer might save me from the annoying poison hits I was getting. Decided to change it up.

Ikuto
Yes I know, but my party wasnt doing much damage and I wanted the Nei weapons. Amy was also back in and I was worried as I was sure she was lvl 9, but was 8. Gave her the Nei Cape, an ice crown and 2 laconian Emels (she actually had the best defence at lvl 8 lol).
Despite her low level and 40 hp, Amy hung in there well and tanked a few hits, her healing was also very useful and the storm gear was far better than I thought it would be. She leveled well and was never a problem... Unlike in the biosystems Lab.
The Neishot was easy and I did it first try, but the slasher was a pain in the ass to get and it took 4 tires as Anna kept getting killed.
PARTY: ROLF, RUDO, ANNA, AMY

Menobe
Two attempts and no real issues. Did a bit of grinding here and when I got the second storm gear I debated on replacing Anna. She wasnt doing as much damage as I had hoped and was the squishiest party member. (Amy actually seemed to do more damage with Storm gear and was a lot tankier) Shir tempted me as he techs are really good and I thought about giving Hugh a chance because I have never used him in any plathrough. Decide to stick with Anna... Not sure why now I think about it.

Naval
Damn those dragon hit hart. Two hits killed Rudo in a round and also Rolf. Fiends were also annoying and added another death to Rolf. 3 attempts all up and I didnt bother with the non Nei items as I didnt need them and wanted to leave.

Noah
Couldnt guess how many times I wandered around the starship. But started on lvl 29 and ground upto lvl 35. So your guess is as good as myne. A fiend took a megid shot, and the dragons were a pain in the ass. Thank god for Truth Sleeves, Ageas, Crease Gear and the Amber robe. They kept me in the fight a lot longer, but the grind was real and took almost as long as the whole game to do. Faced Dark Force at lvl 31 to see what he did and hung in there. I think with Star Mist's I could have taken him. He doesn't attack every turn, he turns you evil.
But with lvl 35 (got 36 with Rolf on the way to him)I was ready for the fight.

Dark Force
He went after Amy a lot and she was evil almost the entire fight and thus kept trying to run away. Rolf and Rudo chipped away and Anna got in a good amount of shots. 3 Star mists were needed and he went down in the first atempt!!!! ......Not including my trial fight....

Mother Brain
I under estimated the monsters and got Rudo killed so had to retreat before I got to her *sigh* But the second attempt worked better and I was ready. Shir had stolen 10 star mists in total and I thus still had 7. The fight went very well with me pounding her and healing when needed. 3 more Star Mists saved me but as the fight wound down Mother Brain hit and killed Amy. The next round Rolf and Anna were killed before Rudo could use the star mist to save them. With full health thought I wasnt worried and Rudo took her down in two rounds winning the game!!!
DarkMyau
Scorpius
Scorpius

Re: My Playthrough of Phantasy Star 2

Postby DarkMyau » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:26 pm

So in Summary

Rolf: I felt he didnt do as much damage as he should have and took too much damage throughout. His techs were also not as good as I felt they should have been. Nazan was underwhelming. Ultimately 8/10 solid
He finished at lvl 36

Nei: Weak at first, but that was expected. Grew fast and was great all through. Would have been an auto include even if I had a choice. 10/10
She was killed by Neifirst at lvl 32

Rudo: Solid. Best damage dealer by far and was great...till the end game where he started to miss a lot. 9/10
He finished at lvl 35

Amy: Way too squishy in the Biosystems lab and was dumped out when a new option appeared. Brought back in and with end game equipment had better defence at lvl 8 than everyone else at lvl 23! Her healing was useful but not vital. 6/10
She finished at lvl 32

Hugh: Never entered a battle and only left Rolf's house because I took a full party to steal with Shir. Never saw a battle. Its not fair to rate him.
He finished at lvl 1

Anna: Weakest end game party member and I felt she underperformed damage wise. But still got it done 7/10
She finished at lvl 35

Kain: Very solid in defence and I was never worried about him taking a hit. I knew he wasnt much damage wise, but his techs were useful.. till I got to dezo. 6/10

Shir: Wished I tried her looking back. Ground her up and only used her for stealing where she was great. She stole the 10 star mists that won the game. Also 2 moon dews, a dozen hidapipes and god knows how many Trimates. She also stole the two laser knives and shune boots she was equipped with. Also unfair to rate her.
She finished at lvl 10
DarkMyau
Scorpius
Scorpius

Return to Phantasy Star