I need help with MAG's

Phantasy Star Online discussions only

I need help with MAG's

Postby Nate556 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:35 am

Hello all. I managed to download and start playing this game thanks to BenoitRen telling me how.

I got the controlls figured out and I get the rest, but this MAG thing I don't quite understand. I get that I give it items and it's stats and and stuff goes up, and I got some idea on how these stats work.

Well, my MAG leveled up a few times and now it can use some kind of attack, like Photon Blast or something. But I don't know how to make it use it. So, the question is, how do I use my MAG ?
Nate556
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby BenoitRen » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:15 pm

As you hit enemies and receive damage, your Photon Blast gauge in the top left corner will build up. When it's 100%, you can use a Photon Blast. The secondary pallette (under the Ctrl key) will be temporarily replaced with the available Photon Blasts.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Nate556 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:50 pm

Okay, thanks. That's pretty cool. About how much damage does it do ?
Nate556
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby BenoitRen » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:26 pm

That depends on the Photon Blast and your MAG's statistics.

Most Photon Blasts are based on an element. Farlla, which uses fire, is generally the weakest. Estlla (ice) and Golla (lightning) do good damage, and Pilla (light) does great damage.

Two Photon Blasts don't do damage. Leilla casts Resta, and Mylla&Youlla cast Shifta and Deband.
BenoitRen

Postby Neo48 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:36 am

If I may just throw in my two cents...

I recommend getting the blasts Estla, Pilla, and Mylla if you use a Ranger or a Hunter.

Here is why:

Estla is one of the three first Blasts that you get. The determinant is what class the character it evolved on is. My reasoning for this one is that it provides a forward piercing motion through all enemies in front of you, unlike the other forward attack that only hits one enemy. Since it is generally easy to round up enemies into a group in front of you (thanks to some large rooms) this is far more useful as an attacking Blast.

Pilla is like a better version of the first Hunter Blast because not only does it surround you, but it hits aerial enemies as well. Not much to debate there.

The last is probably the one I use 95% of the time. Mylla is a super Shifta/Deband addition to your character. Very nice for soloing (especially if you are not a HUnewearl or RAmar. I'm not sure on calculations but I believe it becomes better as your MAG grows (addition and time wise). I haven't played PSO in a long time, but I believe mine is on par with level 30 Shifta/Deband (max technique levels).

The other reason is for MAG combos with other people (this may also be new to you). These are combined attacks that require precise timing with another person using a MAG attack, but the results are devastating. Not only can it Shifta/Deband others, but its effects are increased depending on how many people it is combined with. I have literally ripped through monsters online on the hardest difficulty effortlessly because this combination has boosted my ATP to obscene levels (+4000).

I used to know evolutions quite well but my knowledge has waned since then. If you are really curious about getting into the logistics of planning your MAG then check out some evolution charts at www.pso-world.com

Also, although your MAG sounds young, one word of caution:

KNOW YOUR CHARACTERS MAXIMUM STATS.

You may think "oh great, my stats are maxed with my MAG on." This is bad. If you level while your stats are maxed with the MAG on (but they aren't when it is off) you will forever miss out on the potential increase you could have gotten.

This same situation also ties int with "materials."

However, I've been rambling. Above all this "information" lies the main point of the game...just have fun. :D
PSO (GC) - NEO: HUcast LV 176
PSOBB Schthack (PC) - Redrian: HUcast LV 25
PSU (PC) - Neo: Male Cast Acrofighter LV 161 R.I.P.
PS0 (DS) - Neon: HUcaseal LV 82
Neo48
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby BenoitRen » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:40 pm

Neo48 wrote:I used to know evolutions quite well but my knowledge has waned since then. If you are really curious about getting into the logistics of planning your MAG then check out some evolution charts at www.pso-world.com

Phantasy Star Cave also has a page with detailed information about MAGs. :(
BenoitRen

Postby Neo48 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:21 pm

Phantasy Star Cave also has a page with detailed information about MAGs.

Right! Nate556, ignore what I said about checking MAGs out at PSO-world. Haha, I forgot that we have the simplest MAG charts that explain what the MAGs stats have to be and when. What it doesn't tell you that is to get Estla (the first evolution), you must level your MAG to 10 when a Ranger has it equipped.

Although I seem to remember using these charts myself now, they are for the Dreamcast version of PSO and I am unaware if changes could have been made to the version you are playing (They seem to work for PSO (Ep 1&2).
PSO (GC) - NEO: HUcast LV 176
PSOBB Schthack (PC) - Redrian: HUcast LV 25
PSU (PC) - Neo: Male Cast Acrofighter LV 161 R.I.P.
PS0 (DS) - Neon: HUcaseal LV 82
Neo48
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Nate556 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:34 pm

Once I get some time, I'll examine the MAG chart more thoroughly. I glanced over it before but I'll study it more... studiously... now.
Nate556
Blastoid
Blastoid

Return to Phantasy Star Online