Page 1 of 1

Gens4all => Gens emulator for Dreamcast is here

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:05 pm
by Dr_Odin
Quote from segaxtreme:

I am proud to announce the first release of the excellent Gens emulator to the Dreamcast. Chui, Stef and I have been working on this port about a year and a lot of assembly code had been translated into C. It is been a great effort but i really think it is worth it. At last, you can see all our finest in one shot.

The project is intented to bring high quality genesis emulation to the DC, not to mention game compatibility.


At the moment, this alpha version features the following:

- Two SH4 assembly engines especially design for the DC.
* FAME: Very fast M68000 emulation core written 100% in SH-4 assembly code.
* FAZE: Z80 emulation core written 100% in SH-4 assembly code.

- Accurate Genesis VDP emulation:
* DMA transfers with accurates timings
* Window plane
* Sprite plane
* Vertical Interrupt
* Horizontal Interrupt
* All rasters effects
* Highlight/Shadow effects
* Interlaced mode

- Raw binary (.bin) and interleaved (.smd) ROM format support.
- GZip, Zip and 7-Zip compressed file format support.
- YM2612 emulation core by Stef.
- PSG emulation.
- SDL Dreamcast implementation by Chui.
- The sound is being emulated but not output yet, though.
- On-screen menu.


Finally, I would like to thank Chui and Stef for everything they have accomplished to make this a reality.


The sources and binary for the DC can be found here:

http://chui.dcemu.co.uk/releases/gen...ew-src.tar.bz2
http://chui.dcemu.co.uk/releases/gen...ha-preview.rar (unscrambled, for DemoMenu, dchakker)
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/att...8&d=1205164538 (scrambled for selfbooting, with /data/ folder)

Fox68k


PREACH!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:29 pm
by BenoitRen
Gens has great compatibility, but I don't like it because it isn't that optimised. This is why I prefer Kega.

However, this looks like a great effort, with important emulation code being 100% in SH4 assembler. What strikes me as silly, though, is sound being emulated but not output. Why not turn it off until it is? Sound emulation is what bogs down Mega Drive (and SNES, for that matter) emulation the most.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:34 pm
by Abominae
I use obsidian. It works great. Haven't had any problems with it.

Now, a working SNES emulator for the DC would be great....

*hint hint*

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:51 pm
by The HuBBs
that'd be nice but the all the teams working on dreamsnes, snes4all, ngine, sintendo and super famicast have all broken off. its a shame about Dreamsnes since that was the best one of them all and was near full speed WITH sound emulation.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:10 am
by Missagh
I have to try this one out. I hope it emulated the game smoothly as I would love to play the PS IV beta's on dreamcast ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:16 pm
by Dima.PSIV.Fan
I need a dreamcast. Awesome console imo.