Page 1 of 2

FOSS RPG Makers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:04 am
by Zucca
Few links:



Anyone ever tried any of these? Opinions? Experiences?
Let's discuss.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:31 pm
by Zucca

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:42 pm
by Edge
http://www.toolkitzone.com/?about - was never really that good... Still isn't..

http://hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/ - WAS THE SHIT when it first came out... Since then, it's kinda stayed the same while the rpgmakers have just flown by it.

And that java one has promise...

HOWEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This dungeon craft is an AWESOME FIND dude!!! This is like "Unlimited Adventures" an old D&D game that had this sweet level editor, but people had to have Unlimited Adventures in order to play your quests... This wouldn't require that.

This other rpgmaker clone-looking thing, is also an awesome find... I can't wait to see where they go with it in future releases.

EDIT - You're the man.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:55 pm
by Zucca
Thanks!
I'll try to keep this thread updated if some of these programs updates significantly.

Re: FOSS RPG Makers

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:05 pm
by Zucca
Don't know if this FOSS actually, but free-of-charge at least (aka. freeware): RPGds

http://www.indiedevs.com/


I'll report my experiences soon.

RPGds lib32 PKGBUILD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:28 pm
by Zucca
Here's for those few/none Arch Linux users on 64-bit system a PKGBUILD to install RPGds. It includes a patch to make it working on Linux 64bit.
Code: Select all
# Maintainer: Zucca <[email protected]>

pkgname=('lib32-rpgds')
pkgver=1.0.5
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="An RPG development studio (like RPGMakers)"
arch=('x86_64')
url="http://www.indiedevs.com"
license=('Freeware')
groups=()
options=(!strip)
depends=('lib32-wxgtk' 'lib32-fmodex')
makedepends=('bsdiff')
#install=rpgds.install
#provides=('rpgds')
conflicts=('rpgds')
source=("http://www.indiedevs.com/downloads/rpgds-linux-$pkgver.tar.gz"
        'http://zelan.zapto.org/rpgds_x86_64_segfault_patch.bsdiff')
md5sums=('2d6c4b7e5ca7d53bc2010e4c57eef5f0'
         'ac3487d04ef0fe9530f1a3d08d2dfe1b')
#noextract=('libwx*' 'libfmodex*')
build() {
  echo -e "Removing old libs as we already have lib32-dependencies installed..."
  rm -fr "$srcdir/rpgds-linux-$pkgver/lib/"*
  echo -e "Patching the main executable to avoid segmentaion fault on start-up..."
  bspatch "$srcdir/rpgds-linux-$pkgver/RPGds" "$srcdir/rpgds-linux-$pkgver/RPGds" "$srcdir/rpgds_x86_64_segfault_patch.bsdiff"
}

package() {
  mkdir -pm 755 "$pkgdir/opt/rpgds"
  cp -a "$srcdir/rpgds-linux-$pkgver/"* "$pkgdir/opt/rpgds/"

  mkdir -p "$pkgdir/usr/bin"
  ln -s "/opt/rpgds/RPGds" "$pkgdir/usr/bin/rpgds"
 
}


32-bit users should be ok by just untarring the package and by running RPGds executable. If some depencies aren't met then install fmodex and wxGTK then delete directory 'lib' at the directory where the RPGds executable is located.

I got the 64-bit patch from the developer of RPGds. Which is great news - It's still in development.

Tomorrow I'll start creating a test game.

EDIT: updated the PKGBUILD.

Re: FOSS RPG Makers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:00 am
by LegoMuskCat
Open RPG Maker was something I saw before and it looked interesting, but I didn't want to invest time into something that wasn't going anywhere. :( And RPG Toolkit was all sorts of awkward at the time when I tried it.

I'd look at all these other programs, but I'm not going to stray from RMXP until I've finished my project. >.>

Quick update

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:19 am
by Zucca
So. RPGds doesn't come with any textures or sprites. This is why I haven't bothered to test it more since I simply don't have time to import graphics just for testing.
I do hope that someone else might have time to test how this actually works.

I've spoken with the developer and this really looks a promising tool.

Open RPG Maker Update

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:51 pm
by Zucca
It seems that Open RPG Maker has gone trough some significant upgrade process.
See screenshots here.

Re: FOSS RPG Makers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:36 am
by LegoMuskCat
It looks a lot more like RPG Maker 2k3 now. I hope they make the battle system more customizable since I don't really care for the FF-styled layout. =(

Re: FOSS RPG Makers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:23 pm
by Zucca
It seems that Open RPG Maker is still making progress.
We may see the first public release anytime soon (in year 2013).

Re: FOSS RPG Makers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:08 pm
by Zucca
I thought I make an update here.
It seems that all the RPG makers have died in one way or another.
Except for Open RPG Maker. Although it hasn't had an update for a long time. Sadly it's still missing an engine to actually play the games. :\

Anyway. If someone knows open source RPG makers (or freeware, since we're out of luck here), please post it here.

Re: FOSS RPG Makers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:37 pm
by Tryphon
I don't really understand why so much focus on the editing tools, when there are so much tools already available and widespread and/or free.

What you need is a ressource generator that can handle popular formats (png, tmx, mp3,...) and focus on the engine.

Re: FOSS RPG Makers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:13 pm
by Zucca
Tryphon wrote:...when there are so much tools already available and widespread and/or free.

What tools do you mean?
Tryphon wrote:What you need is a ressource generator

... and what do you mean by resource generator? Random level generator? Graphic generator?

I'm all over question marks here. :|
:text-imsorry:

Re: FOSS RPG Makers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:26 pm
by Tryphon
Zucca wrote:What tools do you mean?


Sprite editing : Photoshop, Paint.net, Gimp, there are thousands...
Map editor : Tiled for example

... and what do you mean by resource generator? Random level generator? Graphic generator?


No, I just mean some program that converts output made by other programs to the internal format used by openRPGmaker. No need to reinvent the wheel.

On a similar note, there are people developping complete map editors with gui for old games (example : Aridia for PS3). Great, but it's so much easier to just write a converter from ROM format to TMX format, edit TMX with Tiled, then insert back in the ROM with another converter (I did this with PS3 precisely, when Aridia didn't handle maps, I believe it's the case now).

Often, the project involves so much work just in the GUI part that it's left unfinished (Aridia is a bad example in this sens, the program is great and functional).